Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks that we have this genuinely great player who is on track for an All Australian berth after being picked up as a rookie plumber, and it's kind of got lost in the fact that so many around him are struggling and it feels like he is one of only two avenues to goal for us. Potentially gonna be another rough year for us so we really should make more of an effort to go ham on the appreciation for the positives this season.

We managed 5 goals against the Bulldogs Paps kicked 4 of them.

We need to do everything to keep papley, and I've said it before, that includes upping his contract. I hope they're negotiating throughout the season and give him what hes worth.

Great to see him do the opposite of what someone like Scottie pippen did in a similar situation, but the lesson is there for the swans. A player who feels undervalued by the club will only go so far for their club.

Papley is a non negotiable, you don't let go of a player like that, you negotiate and get the right deal done for player and club. That doesn't mean paying overs, but forcing other clubs to have to pay way overs to get him to even consider them.

Been a terrible couple of days for the club and not much to cheer about this year to date.

But just wanted to bring attention a positive this year, it's now the end of the Round 6 and Tom Papley is leading the Coleman medal. Fantastic effort to do so given opportunities have been scarce in our forward line but Tom's certainly made the most of them. His presence when we get the ball inside 50 has almost been Buddy-like and looks dangerous every time he goes near it.

Let's hope we can get the ball to him a bit more as the year goes and he's able to hold onto that lead.
Would be awesome to see a small forward take it out for a change, especially a Swan.

Keep it up Tom!

#kickittopaps
#papleyspaddock

1594621606879.png

It's disgusting that after 6 rounds 13 leads it. Imagine if we went forward he might have a 10 goal lead

Remember when full forwards existed ? Seems long ago

But papley has been great, get it down there more and he can win the Coleman

If we lose Papley it will be bigger than Mitchell, Membry, and Jones combined. No amount of draft picks would make me happy with losing him :(

If we lose Papley it will be bigger than Mitchell, Membry, and Jones combined. No amount of draft picks would make me happy with losing him :(

Mitchell won the Brownlow And would be our best player right now (though not as good since injury)

Mitchell won the Brownlow And would be our best player right now (though not as good since injury)
Ehhhh, I don't completely agree, I think Papley makes a bigger difference than Mitchell in a game, but I can see the argument for Mitchell

Ehhhh, I don't completely agree, I think Papley makes a bigger difference than Mitchell in a game, but I can see the argument for Mitchell

Yeah it’s all subjective :)

Wish we had both still long term

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to do everything to keep papley, and I've said it before, that includes upping his contract. I hope they're negotiating throughout the season and give him what hes worth.

Great to see him do the opposite of what someone like Scottie pippen did in a similar situation, but the lesson is there for the swans. A player who feels undervalued by the club will only go so far for their club.

Papley is a non negotiable, you don't let go of a player like that, you negotiate and get the right deal done for player and club. That doesn't mean paying overs, but forcing other clubs to have to pay way overs to get him to even consider them.

Just bang on.

He talks about earning back respect and making sure they know he wants to be there.

Players who leave do say this after it doesn't go through, so I hope it's not just talk. I hope for you guys sake and the club; that he stays. You guys need him more than any other does.
He is exciting to watch, and the last place I ever want to see someone like him is at Carlton!

He talks about earning back respect and making sure they know he wants to be there.

Players who leave do say this after it doesn't go through, so I hope it's not just talk. I hope for you guys sake and the club; that he stays. You guys need him more than any other does.
He is exciting to watch, and the last place I ever want to see someone like him is at Carlton!

Words cant describe how much I love this bloke.

If we are seriously underpaying him we should have a look at his contract and pay a bit closer to what hes worth.

Words cant describe how much I love this bloke.

If we are seriously underpaying him we should have a look at his contract and pay a bit closer to what hes worth.

It's not about under-paying him, he had personal reasons for wanting to return to Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back