Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
So why nominate the blues.
Im sure there were some personal reasons but money is always a factor. Hes only 23/24. Is he married with kids?
Im sure the blues were offering more $$.
This is what pisses me off about players leaving to Vic. All the choice for whoever offers the most money. Not the club who can offer the best trade for us.

Carlton offer Papley 3mill over 6 years but only offer us a mid first round vs North offer Papley 2.2 over 6 years but can offer us 2 first rounds and a steak knives player? We have to trade with Carlton

It's not about under-paying him, he had personal reasons for wanting to return to Victoria.
It is of no concern to us. It is Papley's own private business
Papley is playing his heart out for us.

This is what pisses me off about players leaving to Vic. All the choice for whoever offers the most money. Not the club who can offer the best trade for us.

Carlton offer Papley 3mill over 6 years but only offer us a mid first round vs North offer Papley 2.2 over 6 years but can offer us 2 first rounds and a steak knives player? We have to trade with Carlton
It's not happening

It is of no concern to us. It is Papley's own private business
Papley is playing his heart out for us.

Yep won't get any arguments from me. Can't begrudge him, but he's been a total class act the whole way and has given his all for our club regardless of whatever he does end of year which is all you can ask.

We are a player welfare club first if he asks for a trade again we will trade him.
If he wants to go, he will go. For sure

I would rather trade him with 1 year on his contract and force a good trade rather than what happened with Mitchell

Obviously, I would rather he signs and stays a Swan for life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A nice bit about why papley is so important to us.

The article makes a point I've been thinking about actually: that if we did accept a trade it'd have to include a pick which we would be confident will come before any bid for Campbell. That way we've got either 4 first round quality talents coming in or we can use one of our natural first rounder or Papley first rounder to trade a top quality player (Moore?) in while still having access to our natural first rounder and Campbell + Gulden.

I don't want to lose Papley at all, but whether we lose him or not, we've got a nice hand of assets to work with this coming trade season.

The energy papley brings is priceless. It's the type of stuff that lifts everyone around him. He continues to prove why he's so important. For me, he's a key piece to the premiership puzzle, so even a top 2 pick wouldn't even out the loss imo. Papleys ability, goal sense, footy iq, energy, relentlessness, will to win, the entire package, puts him in the elite category in the league. He will be part of a premiership at some stage in his career, I just hope it's with us.

Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.
I think my best lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back