Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, I know. I'm asking who you would trade from your list for a pick of that value.
Im asking you a direct question about whether pick 12 would get it done.

I havent put the thought in to our list because no one is old enough to be worth anything except Cripps lol. McGovern I would.

EDIT: your conversation style is as ineffective and useful as a politician

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck, midfield (both in and out) and to a lesser extent another small defender. Age is all mid to low 20s.
We have pretty similar needs unfortunately. We don't have any surplus quality in those positions.

Perhaps Lang or Kennedy + Pick 12.

EDIT: No offence, but I would've thought KPF is a dire need for you guys. We were missing Weitering+Marchbank and the replacement (Goddard) went down, and there was still no real presence in the forwardline. Buddy is the greatest forward of the modern era but he's left a big hole.

We have pretty similar needs unfortunately. We don't have any surplus quality in those positions.

EDIT: No offence, but I would've thought KPF is a dire need for you guys. We were missing Weitering+Marchbank and the replacement (Goddard) went down, and there was still no real presence in the forwardline. Buddy is the greatest forward of the modern era but he's left a big hole.

We have Blakey 19 who is 195cm, McCartin 19 who is 193cm, McLean 20 who is 197cm, Amartey 19 who is 197cm. Plus Menzel in the twos (who is more medium sized).

Hell we also have Cameron at 205cm who can play forward.

Certainly not our greatest need I wouldn’t have thought. The hole is being filled, they are just young.

Personally I'd be happy with Kennedy & pick 12

Our KPF line is in good position but young. McCartin & Blakey in their second and first seasons while Reid was pushed into the ruck and an injured Buddy doesn't help.

I havent put the thought in to our list because no one is old enough to be worth anything except Cripps lol. McGovern I would.l
No, it wouldn't. I was hoping you'd reject on the type of player you were asking for and if you'd accept pick 12 for similar on your list.

But short answer is no, I wouldn't imagine a pick in the lower half of the first round would be enough for Papley.

I havent put the thought in to our list because no one is old enough to be worth anything except Cripps lol. McGovern I would.

EDIT: your conversation style is as ineffective and useful as a politician
And your on our board champ .

No, it wouldn't. I was hoping you'd reject on the type of player you were asking for and if you'd accept pick 12 for similar on your list.

But short answer is no, I wouldn't imagine a pick in the lower half of the first round would be enough for Papley.

Pick 12 only is what Brisbane traded for Charlie Cameron 2 years ago though.

The similarities are actually pretty stark.

Papley is 23 right now. Cameron was 23 at the time of being traded.

Papley is rumoured to want to move home. Cameron was traded to return to family/home in Brisbane

Papley is just starting to emerge as a top tier small forward. Cameron was emerging as that at the time of being traded.

Papley has currently played 76 games and kicked 110 goals. Cameron had played 73 games and kicked 87 goals when traded.

Pick 12 only is what Brisbane traded for Charlie Cameron 2 years ago though.

The similarities are actually pretty stark.

Papley is 23 right now. Cameron was 23 at the time of being traded.

Papley is rumoured to want to move home. Cameron was traded to return to family/home in Brisbane

Papley is just starting to emerge as a top tier small forward. Cameron was emerging as that at the time of being traded.

Papley has currently played 76 games and kicked 110 goals. Cameron had played 73 games and kicked 87 goals when traded.
Good post.

Both Ade and Syd apparently have some salary cap pressure too (Papley is gonna get expensive).

Good post.

Both Ade and Syd apparently have some salary cap pressure too (Papley is gonna get expensive).

Don't know where you read that. We free up a large amount of our cap space this year and will struggle to reach the cap floor of 95%. So with Papley contracted until the end of next season any extension wouldn't apply until the 2021 season that would mean we would be paying his first year of any new contract in a year we're paying 105% of the salary cap and his second year would be the last year of Buddy's contract which drops by $500,000 that year alone and year 3 would have Buddy off the books completely. So cap pressure, your having a laugh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back