Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know where you read that. We free up a large amount of our cap space this year and will struggle to reach the cap floor of 95%. So with Papley contracted until the end of next season any extension wouldn't apply until the 2021 season that would mean we would be paying his first year of any new contract in a year we're paying 105% of the salary cap and his second year would be the last year of Buddy's contract which drops by $500,000 that year alone and year 3 would have Buddy off the books completely. So cap pressure, your having a laugh
Don't we just love Cartank

Pick 12 only is what Brisbane traded for Charlie Cameron 2 years ago though.

The similarities are actually pretty stark.

Papley is 23 right now. Cameron was 23 at the time of being traded.

Papley is rumoured to want to move home. Cameron was traded to return to family/home in Brisbane

Papley is just starting to emerge as a top tier small forward. Cameron was emerging as that at the time of being traded.

Papley has currently played 76 games and kicked 110 goals. Cameron had played 73 games and kicked 87 goals when traded.

Fair points, that's a lot more similar than I realised. The only caveat I'd have is that Papley is outperforming Cameron on every stat, despite being in a significantly worse side than Adelaide in 2017.

Don't know where you read that. We free up a large amount of our cap space this year and will struggle to reach the cap floor of 95%. So with Papley contracted until the end of next season any extension wouldn't apply until the 2021 season that would mean we would be paying his first year of any new contract in a year we're paying 105% of the salary cap and his second year would be the last year of Buddy's contract which drops by $500,000 that year alone and year 3 would have Buddy off the books completely. So cap pressure, your having a laugh
Fair enough - my apologies, I had heard the Buddy and Tippet deals had caused some players to be squeezed, but I was wrong. Your explanation makes good sense.

Your not.
Haven't come in here to cause any offence, just to discuss football. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't respond so childishly.

Fair points, that's a lot more similar than I realised. The only caveat I'd have is that Papley is outperforming Cameron on every stat, despite being in a significantly worse side than Adelaide in 2017.

Yep, for those playing along see below. Papley of 2019 ahead of Cameron of 2017 on the vast majority of stats, although there aren't many which have significantly large margins between the two I'd say.

Yep, for those playing along see below. Papley of 2019 ahead of Cameron of 2017 on the vast majority of stats, although there aren't many which have significantly large margins between the two I'd say.

It's also pretty important to note that Cameron is also less attractive physically, and while Papley speaks in a well-educated manner, Cameron tends to use low-brow expressions like "Oh, yeah?" and "C'mere a minute."

It's also pretty important to note that Cameron is also less attractive physically, and while Papley speaks in a well-educated manner, Cameron tends to use low-brow expressions like "Oh, yeah?" and "C'mere a minute."

I have no idea how, of all things, this reference came to you based on my post, but good job. A chuckle was had.

Fair enough - my apologies, I had heard the Buddy and Tippet deals had caused some players to be squeezed, but I was wrong. Your explanation makes good sense.

Haven't come in here to cause any offence, just to discuss football. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't respond so childishly.
You had a crack at a Swan !

In the past maybe, but they can't be used as excuses anymore. Tippett is off the books completely at the end of the season and Buddy's contract is at it peak over the next two years but clearly budgeted for by now. If we lose Papley it won't be for salary cap reasons other than he is asking way too much that is reasonable. I would expect him to stay

I remember the old Cheer Squad banner "Carlton under the salary cap, I'd love to see that"
Good one! A couple of the classic slogans for the year were Carlton's when they had the three number 1 picks and Judd - "They know we're coming" when what they actually did was tumble down the ladder. The stunning best was of course Essendon's 2012 "Whatever it takes" their injection season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good one! A couple of the classic slogans for the year were Carlton's when they had the three number 1 picks and Judd - "They know we're coming" when what they actually did was tumble down the ladder. The stunning best was of course Essendon's 2012 "Whatever it takes" their injection season
The best one was a collingwood banner with incorrect spelling lol. classic pies

Carlton at this stage definitely have more upside to winning a flag than Sydney. They've been the beneficiaries of multiple top draft picks - sooner or later they will peak. Our list is not in a good spot and will take a while to fix.

He has another year to go and i'm sure we will be moving heaven and earth to keep him . I just wish he would have a look when he snaps from 40.
Yeah that was poor last night, even if you could see he was trying to centre it. Maybe have a shot!

Paps is a real heart and soul but ever since the Norf game he thinks he can do everything on his own. When he really starts to bring others in around goals he will elevate again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back