Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
not at all just want the team to perform in finals
I think we have shown we can perform in finals, and yes I know we've had some pretty horrible ones, but we've also had some truly brilliant ones, it's the BIG one that almost always ends badly.
Even the two we have won, and I'm by no means knocking them or downplaying the brilliance of them, but they were both hard fought slogs.

My OCD is absolutely hating that there are still so many players not in Sydney when the B&F is TOMORROW! What do they think they're on? The Amazing Race? GET TO SYDNEY BOYS
Must be Virtual Reality BnF night.

My OCD is absolutely hating that there are still so many players not in Sydney when the B&F is TOMORROW! What do they think they're on? The Amazing Race? GET TO SYDNEY BOYS
Maybe all the players know the result is a foregone conclusion so couldn't be bothered cutting their holidays short

Feels like paps was the forgotten swan in 2023. So much so, I had to go to page 4 to find his thread.

Was playing with broken ribs earlier in the season and wasn't his impactful self. Battled through it and had a very good finish to the season but throughout the year there were quite a few questioning his commitment / maturity etc.

I think 2024 will be Papley's best year to date, he'll lead the goal scoring for the team and kick 50+ for the year.

Including a little bag in the GF ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be considered that Paps is a bit of an underachiever for the reputation he likes to carry around? Before last night’s game 166 Games for 260 goals and 191 points

Could it be considered that Paps is a bit of an underachiever for the reputation he likes to carry around? Before last night’s game 166 Games for 260 goals and 191 points
You don't watch many swans games do you.

Nice effort.

All the nuffies on Facebook are saying that Papley is a sniper and a hypocrite.

Now I know I'm seeing this through red and white lenses but how is Papley a sniper? I get that he's lippy and carries on after a goal so I understand why he gets under the skin of opposition players and fans. I don't see him as a cheap shot artist though.

All the nuffies on Facebook are saying that Papley is a sniper and a hypocrite.

Now I know I'm seeing this through red and white lenses but how is Papley a sniper? I get that he's lippy and carries on after a goal so I understand why he gets under the skin of opposition players and fans. I don't see him as a cheap shot artist though.
Basically, whether he deserves it or not, he's got that reputation now, and most supporters hate him. He's officially one of those players that you love on your team, but you'd hate if he played elsewhere. At least he backs it up most weeks. Personally, I love him!

Basically, whether he deserves it or not, he's got that reputation now, and most supporters hate him. He's officially one of those players that you love on your team, but you'd hate if he played elsewhere. At least he backs it up most weeks. Personally, I love him!
Agreed but that's not what I asked. Have we seen him at any point sniping people? I know the mob doesn't have much in the way of reason but I'm amused that they are saying he's a dirty player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back