Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed but that's not what I asked. Have we seen him at any point sniping people? I know the mob doesn't have much in the way of reason but I'm amused that they are saying he's a dirty player.
No, I've seen him be annoying to players, and be a big celebrator, but not sniping others

I can see where opposition could say he was a flog, celebrates, carries on etc which his own fans love but opposition hate.

He talks a lot , maybe the odd push and shove?

Even downhill skier - if they say well he was shithouse in 2022 granny

Not saying I believe the above just what you expect them to say.

But sniper seems to be purely because he may have bumped into Daicos? was he even involved?

We as a club did target him and I thought it was fake tough guy BS at the time. But the Swans didn't go at his head or try to take guys out in contests and Papley certainly did it.

Snipers are like Lloyd, Hodge etc

I can see where opposition could say he was a flog, celebrates, carries on etc which his own fans love but opposition hate.

He talks a lot , maybe the odd push and shove?

Even downhill skier - if they say well he was shithouse in 2022 granny

Not saying I believe the above just what you expect them to say.

But sniper seems to be purely because he may have bumped into Daicos? was he even involved?

We as a club did target him and I thought it was fake tough guy BS at the time. But the Swans didn't go at his head or try to take guys out in contests and Papley certainly did it.

Snipers are like Lloyd, Hodge etc

And pure scum like Draper

Calling Paps a sniper is nothing but sour grapes.

Carries on like a turnip and will get in oppo faces, sure, but not once have I seen him try to lay someone out.
And gets battered himself , always puts his body on the line , tough like his grandfather

Agreed but that's not what I asked. Have we seen him at any point sniping people? I know the mob doesn't have much in the way of reason but I'm amused that they are saying he's a dirty player.
No I could honestly say I've never seen him snipe at another player, get in their faces - yep sure does, but snipe - no

You don't watch many swans games do you.
I watch every week without fail. I just think his percentage of goals to points is a bit of a let down - I expected he was well on his way to to 400 career goals when I check his career stats the other night. He could be, if he hadn’t kicked so many points.

I watch every week without fail. I just think his percentage of goals to points is a bit of a let down - I expected he was well on his way to to 400 career goals when I check his career stats the other night. He could be, if he hadn’t kicked so many points.
I really don't understand this , maybe have a look at how many snaps he has and kicks out of contests . This i unbelievable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the nuffies on Facebook are saying that Papley is a sniper and a hypocrite.

Now I know I'm seeing this through red and white lenses but how is Papley a sniper? I get that he's lippy and carries on after a goal so I understand why he gets under the skin of opposition players and fans. I don't see him as a cheap shot artist though.
There you have it.

Well he looks stupid now he called the bombers out and played 2 shocking games since.

No leadership at all today, pathetic, if anything he cost us chances, didn't stand up at all. Not a captains arsehole

will get defended by say Bedders because he loves him blindly, but he is looking a downhill skier at the moment

Well he looks stupid now he called the bombers out and played 2 shocking games since.

No leadership at all today, pathetic, if anything he cost us chances, didn't stand up at all. Not a captains a-hole

will get defended by say Bedders because he loves him blindly, but he is looking a downhill skier at the moment
Shocking games ! Some troll on facebook said he's our worst captain ever in the 2nd Q

Sounding like the bloke on FB

you didn't answer ?

He was shocking today laid one tackle when the game was done

10 possies , 5 turnovers

Rather him over Amartey or Hayward at least he puts his head over the footy , every player has bad days and he had a few mates

When did they captain the side?

I said he was a bad skipper not that he is the worst player in the team.

I think Papley is better being the energiser bunny running around annoying the opposition, rather than skipper

IMO we can't be surprised that we're playing selfish, showboating footy when arguably our most selfish, showboating player is being trusted with the captaincy. And I say this as a fan of Papley as a player.

I wanted us to embrace our hype and I think we still need to because we need to learn how to perform with pressure, expectations, attention etc.

But you still have to set the right tone and send the right messages amongst the playing group internally.

'Heart and soul' is about more than just loving the club or loving winning or playing with the club. It has to be embodied in how you play. Have never seen Papley as a 'heart and soul' player for this reason, though he's clearly a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back