AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a CHB role in him
He reads it so well, he still has his jump and at times he reacted quick enough and opted for left or right to kick to where it needed to go

I fear the temptation is to dick him around though, due the logjam with laverde, reid, hayes, baldwin

In my mind our '24 backline should be
Baldwin - FB - mcgrath
Redman - cox - ridley
I feel once he gets settled and he gets more confident, we’ll really start to see he get comfortable with his kicking and biting off more attacking options

So we don't know whether he'll make it nor what his role is, so we need more learnings.
I dont think we ever really knew what we wanted him for.
His draft profile was perfect for a team that had core pieces and wanted a bit of a point of difference player to work.
Maintain he was a great pick for the swans as a bit of a freebie and im surprised we couldn't jag a deal with them to get up to mcdonald.

When a player tells you who they are believe them. He’s a CHB, he played there all his junior’s and plays well in defense.

The only people who don’t know where he should play seem to be the people who thought Kyle Langford was a defender.

Should be the 3rd tall back there until his body develops. Pretty simple really

Strengthening program and running block for the troublesome ankle, then integrate into training
Strengthening program and running block for the troublesome ankle, then integrate into training
Similarly, utility Nik Cox is enjoying a carefully monitored build into pre-season as he strengthens the ankle joint that troubled him for much of last season. The former pick No.8 is progressing through a strong running block, and has begun a gradual integration into training.

3 AA's minimum

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When a player tells you who they are believe them. He’s a CHB, he played there all his junior’s and plays well in defense.

The only people who don’t know where he should play seem to be the people who thought Kyle Langford was a defender.

Should be the 3rd tall back there until his body develops. Pretty simple really

I think he'll end up taking Dyson Heppells role.
The taller intercept marking halfback.

Which will suit him perfectly.

200cm guy running 16km a game off wing half back is what I hope he becomes, and I think he can do that at a high standard

I think he lacks the urgency in his pace of play to spend too much time as a wingman.
Yes push up to the wings and forward at times, but his demeanour suits a taller backman role imo.

A good system is 3 key tall defenders to take the 3 opposition tall forwards.
2 attacking minded half backs (while of course also being accountable for their opponent), and 1 taller defensive minded taller half back who helps out the key backs in the air, as well as a reliable outlet for the attacking halfbacks and wings.

I don't see how we could afford one of our taller key backs or our taller halfback to roam 16km upfield. Maybe a game that the opposition doesn't have a tall forward unit.

Last edited:
I think he lacks the urgency in his pace of play to spend too much time as a wingman.
Yes push up to the wings and forward at times, but his demeanour suits a taller backman role imo.

A good system is 3 key tall defenders to take the 3 opposition tall forwards.
2 attacking minded half backs (while of course also being accountable for their opponent), and 1 taller defensive minded taller half back who helps out the key backs in the air, as well as a reliable outlet for the attacking halfbacks and wings.

I don't see how we could afford one of our taller key backs or our taller halfback to roam 16km upfield. Maybe a game that the opposition doesn't have a tall forward unit.

Happy for him to play at a good standard in any position tbf. But with McKay, Ridley, Lav, Reid, Baldwin and Hayes I think one of these talls can perform elsewhere, Cox might be that guy.

Give the kid a good stint in the VFL to find his feet, confidence and work out how best to play his role. If they don't know what that is exactly (like most on BF) all the more reason to do it in the VFL. No shame in that. He is unique, and that will come with added game plan IQ required to use his strengths and reduce his weakness. I think being found out in the seniors had a negative effect on his confidence and output.

felt like he tried to emulate scott pendlebury this year - without the class or the execution that pendlebury has.

from memory he played slow (nothing wrong with that in a vacuum) but failing to hit easy targets/making mistakes was costly. big agree that he’ll need some urgency in his disposal otherwise he’ll be a wasted spot

Hasn't got the lateral movement to play off half back.

If the below is our best back six ...

FB: McGrath McKay Laverde (R1) / Reid (mid-season)
HF: Heppell Ridley Redman

... then he'll be competing with Laverde/Reid, Kelly and Baldwin for back up KPD roles. May even be competing with Weideman down back.

His best spot is the 3rd tall interceptor

His reach looks ridiculous and most of that deep play is slow play which suits him. Still think he can be ok a bit higher up across half back, just need to have another dynamic guy next to him which we have with Mcgrath, Hind Redman for the short- medium term and Davey for the longer term imo

Getting worried now with all these injuries

Seem to recall some complaining around him not heading over to Arizona but it seems the club have him on a specific program and he’s starting to see some benefit from it.

Similar to Reid, we’re building his body from the ground up with a view to him having a very good and very long career, the only difference with him and Reid is that he’s already proven he can really play.

Still NFI what he's going to be, if anything. Yeah I get he's athletic for his size but who knows what that translates to on an AFL ground against the best.

He played one season on the wing where he averaged 12 touches and 4 marks. He's missed the best part of the two seasons following.

Three years in and I get the feeling the club isn't much wiser on where we're headed with this bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back