AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

The strength work was likely aimed at stabilising joints and core rather than adding weight.

Wonder if there is a theory in sports science/physio that they wait for the growth plates to fuse before adding weight 🤔 would make sense when every bloke over 190cm seems to be having injury issues until they’re 22
English had a similar build for his first few years. Same goes with Bryan really

Go slowly, find the balance between weight and agility for their height. Mainly hoping he still has his skills on both sides of his body
Feels an age since he played.

The strength work was likely aimed at stabilising joints and core rather than adding weight.

Wonder if there is a theory in sports science/physio that they wait for the growth plates to fuse before adding weight 🤔 would make sense when every bloke over 190cm seems to be having injury issues until they’re 22

You can also be strong without adding weight.

You can also be strong without adding weight.
not that i'd know at 179cm, but i imagine there's a benefit in not getting injured and building conditioning into the leaner frame. And it's something Cox and Reid haven't had the benefit of.
i.e still being "light" for your weight, but strongly conditioned as an athlete. bit of luck of the draw i guess

Is it too tall to play 3 KPDs from Zerk, Reid, Cox & Hayes?
And if Hayes/Zerk remain, then one of Reid/Cox link up with Wright/Jones forward.

That's 6 talls, plus a ruck in the side.....

In Basketball they’ve gone increasingly tall over the past few years with mobility and skill being what’s important rather than size.

But if two players have the same mobility and skill then extra size is better. Realistically cox is so mobile that he can play the Ridey 3rd tall/HB/wing role

So when Fit Cox would be competing with Heppell/Redman/Ridley as an oversized midsize player

In Basketball they’ve gone increasingly tall over the past few years with mobility and skill being what’s important rather than size.

But if two players have the same mobility and skill then extra size is better. Realistically cox is so mobile that he can play the Ridey 3rd tall/HB/wing role

So when Fit Cox would be competing with Heppell/Redman/Ridley as an oversized midsize player
If the plan is earmark Cox as Heppell's replacement, then i think we've had the cards fall nicely into place

Hepp will get some time to go slowly off into the sunset.
Cox needs that time to build up his readiness.

Fast forward 12m, this time next year what is our ideal scenario for a 22?

Ridley - Zerk - McGrath
Redman - Reid - Cox
Martin - Setterfield - Durham
Perkins - ??? - Caldwell
Stringer - Wright - Davey
Draper - Parish - Merrett
Langford - Hobbs - Tsatas - Shiel

In:Reid, Cox, Tsatas, Hobbs
Out: Lav, Kelly, Heppell, Snelling

With a ? on CHF (ruck, Jones, King? :p)

I really hope for his sake he can get some continuity in his footy for the rest of the year. When you factor in his recent injury history, not really playing in his U18 year because of COVID and so on he's simply missed a lot of football which can't be good for his overall development, especially given he's a bit of a utility so he's going to get thrown around in various positions. It seems increasingly unlikely he'll return to the wing where he played basically all his AFL footy.

I'd be happy if he could just get a few months straight playing CHB in the VFL and see how he goes.

Yet time and time again we see people screaming to delist these blokes when they haven't done much for their first 2-3 years.
This is why I think the list sizes are too small. Some of these guys should not even be playing full VFL seasons in the first 2 years.

This is why I think the list sizes are too small. Some of these guys should not even be playing full VFL seasons in the first 2 years.
Totally agree.

I may not remember properly but didn’t list sizes drop during COVID? No reason why they shouldn’t have grown again.

If the plan is earmark Cox as Heppell's replacement, then i think we've had the cards fall nicely into place

Ridley - Zerk - McGrath
Redman - Reid - Cox
Perkins - ??? - Caldwell

Think your Def looks about right.

With the forward line i think Draper stays more as a forward since he’s good there and is the R/F as opposed to the main Ruck.

Langford is better than Stringer so he’s the 3rd tall.

So Forward line is Wright, Draper, Langford, 2 Smalls (Caldwell and ???) and a resting mid

Flip/Bryan start at Ruck

Ridley - Zerk - McGrath
Redman - Reid - Cox
Perkins - ??? - Caldwell

Looks about right.

Think Draper is at CHF or FF (With Wright at CHF. Really they are KPF1 and 2 wherever they are listed)

Then Flip/Bryan fill that ruck spot.

FB Reid - Zerk - Mcgrath
HB Ridley - Cox - Redman
C Martin - Setterfield - Sheil
HF Caldwell - Draper - davey
FF perkins- Wright - langford
OB Flip/Bryan - Parish - Merrett

Bench M4 Hobbs W3 Tsatas D7 Durham F7 Stringer

Sub: TBD.

Injury update: Four weeks away
Four weeks away

And he's a utility now btw

Third-year utility Nik Cox is continuing a steady rehab trajectory as he overcomes a back injury.

GM of Performance Daniel McPherson says after conservative recovery periods, Cox is reaching the pointy end of his rehab program.

“It’s pleasing to have Nik continue his steady recovery from long-term injury,” McPherson said.

“He’ll continue to gradually build on his fitness and barring any unexpected hiccups, will be looking to integrate into our main training group over the coming weeks.”

English had a similar build for his first few years. Same goes with Bryan really

Go slowly, find the balance between weight and agility for their height. Mainly hoping he still has his skills on both sides of his body
Feels an age since he played.

English has always had a monster build.

He is very broad in the shoulders and hips which he has added bulk to. He's got a significantly bigger build than even Draper.

Bryan is between Draper and Cox. A medium to light build for a ruck, more of a KPP build.

Cox has a slight build. He will never carry a stack of weight. Even compare his shape to Blicavs, it's apples and oranges. Blicavs is much broader.

Cox would be most like Westhoff.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Animated GIF

I'm warming to the idea of Cox being a defender while pinch-hitting on the wing.

Him and Reid are probably our future pillars down back. Just gotta fill out, and, ya know, stay on the park long enough.
We are playing Box Hille in VFL who are 6-1, so Cox will see a bit of the ball down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back