AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

A tall mobile skilful utility who moves between the arcs is his gig. A little different than a wingman. He'd be using size as well to help out the kpps at either end at times in the game depending on the need.
I've only ever seen a handful of rolling utilities who have had all the attributes to do that. The only thing he's missing is urgency, and a little more meat on the bone.
It would be wasting that to kpp him.

I hate to say it but a role like that of Blicavs should be in his future. It's no simple task to get there, though.

Blicavs' running is next level, he'd smash Cox, and basically everyone other than Harry Sharp (at Brisbane) and dont forget he started as a much more mature body (a cat b in his early to mid 20s). He's also really only just nailed down the utility role in the last few years, too.

As good as Cox might be as a defender it seems to me to underutilise his attributes. I also look at list balance and can't help but think that we're going to have 3 tall defenders covered very well without him (see Reid, Eyre and McBride). Forward we have Wright, Jones, Weidemann and Bryan (as the second ruck) as the guys who would most obviously press for a spot in the next few years.

It's going to be a bit messy for Cox in the 24 months if him being a utility is the plan. We should look to swing him forward and back though I'd probably park the wing for 12 months.

It would then be up to Scott to explain the bigger picture to keep the pressure of Cox / manage expectations.

The flexibility Blicavs provides Geelong is probably its biggest onfield advantage, at least as big as Cameron in his piss taking #10 role. It's a project worth waiting for.

I hate to say it but a role like that of Blicavs should be in his future. It's no simple task to get there, though.

Blicavs' running is next level, he'd smash Cox, and basically everyone other than Harry Sharp (at Brisbane) and dont forget he started as a much more mature body (a cat b in his early to mid 20s). He's also really only just nailed down the utility role in the last few years, too.

As good as Cox might be as a defender it seems to me to underutilise his attributes. I also look at list balance and can't help but think that we're going to have 3 tall defenders covered very well without him (see Reid, Eyre and McBride). Forward we have Wright, Jones, Weidemann and Bryan (as the second ruck) as the guys who would most obviously press for a spot in the next few years.

It's going to be a bit messy for Cox in the 24 months if him being a utility is the plan. We should look to swing him forward and back though I'd probably park the wing for 12 months.

It would then be up to Scott to explain the bigger picture to keep the pressure of Cox / manage expectations.

The flexibility Blicavs provides Geelong is probably its biggest onfield advantage, at least as big as Cameron is his piss taking #10 role. It's a project worth waiting for.
Yes, and I hope its been a 3 part plan for Cox.
A year in each.
1. Wing
2. Forward
3. Defence (defence last when he's built the body)

Then we have moulded him into that roaming utility. Blicavs type good example you mentioned. Without the rucking though imo.

Last edited:

Yes, and I hope its been a 3 part plan for Cox.
A year in each.
1. Wing
2. Forward
3. Defence (defence last when he's built the body)

Then we have moulded him into that roaming utility. Blicavs type good example you mentioned. Without the rucking though imo.

Not sure players ever really develop when they’re thrown around like that.

Seems like a guy who needs a license to just go out and play. He looked baffled by his role last year and lost all the bravado that was very apparent in year 1.

Never lose sight of the fact he 6’7 with elite speed and endurance, clean hands below his knees, good overhead and he’s totally dual sided. It’s an ungodly package. Just let him go out and use all his god-given gifts and play with flair.

Not sure players ever really develop when they’re thrown around like that.

Yep.

Settle him in as a KPP, let him find his feet and use his tank to roam, if over time he starts to show that he can genuinely understand the wing role then he's got a unique skillset for that, or for a midfield role.

Blicavs has taken years to get there, no rush for Cox to be anything in particular right now beyond finding the role he can develop most quickly and usefully in.

His best form at U18 was supposed to be off CHB so IMO I'd start him there and let him build confidence destroying blokes in the VFL with his intercept marking and tank to run any KPP in to the ground.

Crazy Eyes GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t wait when one of our top timber talent becomes a gun forward over being a gun back. (Still have faith in Jones). I think to be a gun back you need to be faster than your opponent unless you can read the ball but not particularly creative. A gun tall forward confidence and creativity is key. I would love to see him forward personally but who knows he might be the next Dustin Fletcher. I hope we can get the best out of him either way.

I can’t wait when one of our top timber talent becomes a gun forward over being a gun back. (Still have faith in Jones). I think to be a gun back you need to be faster than your opponent unless you can read the ball but not particularly creative. A gun tall forward confidence and creativity is key. I would love to see him forward personally but who knows he might be the next Dustin Fletcher. I hope we can get the best out of him either way.
I have faith in Reid to do this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back