Player Watch #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I look forward to the debate next August of whether or not we should keep him after 6 games of AFL and VFL apiece with 8 weeks worth of injuries along the way
Depends; does he get injured half-way through a game (again) where he finally looks the goods (again)? If so, then yes.

TheGrizz

Spec Moderator
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Would have to be make or break. Tremendously unlucky with injuries.
Giving him a one year deal is probably a smarter play than picking up a pick 80odd this year in a speculative and compromised 2020 draft that you have to give a 2 year deal to.

If he doesnt come good we delist him next year and get an extra pick in a stronger draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ati Tude

Senior List
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Just hope this guy can avoid injuries. Has never really had a proper run at it and has shown enough glimpses to get an extension, especially with our forward line deficiencies. Would have thought this is his final chance though.

Mercurial89

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone that whilst didn't get a run at it and that is a shame, should probably have been delisted. I'm happy for him, but this is a mistake.

Pre COVID I would have said hang onto him, but with list spots being an absolute premium I think you cut the cord and take a shot at someone else, especially when the delisted players pool is going to be rather large with players that may fill a specific need on the list.

Its not as if he was lighting the world on fire, he showed some promising signs that he could find the football and show AFL level intent, but he also blazed away, made dumb decisions and cannot kick for goal. Two of those three can be down to inexperience at AFL level, but what does holding him for another year achieve?

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone that whilst didn't get a run at it and that is a shame, should probably have been delisted. I'm happy for him, but this is a mistake.

Pre COVID I would have said hang onto him, but with list spots being an absolute premium I think you cut the cord and take a shot at someone else, especially when the delisted players pool is going to be rather large with players that may fill a specific need on the list.

Its not as if he was lighting the world on fire, he showed some promising signs that he could find the football and show AFL level intent, but he also blazed away, made dumb decisions and cannot kick for goal. Two of those three can be down to inexperience at AFL level, but what does holding him for another year achieve?
I think keeping Lav and moving Townsend on is the play.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I know he had sind sydn that foot injury, but what were his previous ones?
AC joint during the Geelong game in his second year, like round 3? Then a rare ankle injury after he landed on it funny pretty much as soon as he got back from the AC joint. I think that was also against Geelong. This year was a high ankle sprain (syndesmosis 😛 ). In between I think there's been some soft tissue with hamstrings or something as well.

Remove this Banner Ad