Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

Campbell would play in Hayward or Adams position but in a different way on the HFF. Hayward plays a bit taller, can mark more aggressively and can sometimes play on a strong defensive marker whilst Adams plays more up the ground and in stoppage doing a lot of the contested work.

I would like Campbell to be a combination HFF that can push up the ground and be the link up re-bound player delivering the ball inside 50 and making some of the running half backs be accountable defensively. Very similar to how we played Jordon against GWS
Hayward quite possibly but Adams no way. His core competency is mongrelling the ball. Braeden wouldn't scare a puppy.

Very worried about him , shows a complete lack of intensity and one dimensional , had chances to smother or put his head over the footy and failed . Maybe one that has to be traded , hope im wrong

My two problems with him is he does not get the ball enough. He needs to be averaging close to 20 disposals a game and he can't get anywhere near it, and I also think his tackling is poor. He goes for the tackles but opposition players just bounce off him.

I think he has got a high upside with his long attacking kicking and run. So is a useful player to have on the list given our current game style. It is difficult to draft someone who is quick and has good ball use.

For now it is nice to have him as depth. Otherwise it is Corey Warner and Mitchell who are not as experienced.

Last edited:
Still work in progress and looks a bit lost this year but I think will come good. His kicking is right up there and would be best delivering into the forward fifty.
Someone said the other day he's behind a couple of players in his preferred position , needs a good stretch in the two's and run him through a few positions and get his confidence up.
Still a decent player as backup.

Very worried about him , shows a complete lack of intensity and one dimensional , had chances to smother or put his head over the footy and failed . Maybe one that has to be traded , hope im wrong

Still work in progress and looks a bit lost this year but I think will come good. His kicking is right up there and would be best delivering into the forward fifty.
Someone said the other day he's behind a couple of players in his preferred position , needs a good stretch in the two's and run him through a few positions and get his confidence up.
Still a decent player as backup.
Yes I thought I saw him shirk one contest but at the same time he seemed to be of two minds - keep width or go in? I suspect he has a confidence problem, and maybe he's overthinking it.

Too good for VFL level but not quite good enough at AFL level at the moment.
He’s good enough for AFL at the moment. He’s better than a large swathe of players getting regular games. He’s just not good enough yet to play a central role in the team that is flying at the top of the table.

Last night's performance was perfectly serviceable. I guess, knowing the attributes he has, we're all just hoping for him to step up in a game when too many of the team are in "perfectly serviceable but nothing special" mode to become a difference maker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It occurs to me now that may have been his first starting 22 game for quite some time. Could be wrong here. He's been sub a lot - a very difficult position because the sub does not know when he will get on, if at all, and more importantly, what role he will play. Our team is humming along and one of the reasons is continuity of players. Campbell is not part of that continuity.
So not only is it a step up in pace and intensity, but also he does not have that innate feel for how his teammates play.
Also Campbell last night came in to the best team in the competition (at this stage at ay rate) playing its most intense game of the season so far, so I don't think he was that bad.

He’s good enough for AFL at the moment. He’s better than a large swathe of players getting regular games. He’s just not good enough yet to play a central role in the team that is flying at the top of the table.

Last night's performance was perfectly serviceable. I guess, knowing the attributes he has, we're all just hoping for him to step up in a game when too many of the team are in "perfectly serviceable but nothing special" mode to become a difference maker.
0 contested possessions last night from 83% time on ground. He couldn’t win his own ball. Yes he was serviceable but he’d be lucky to hold his place for the next game.

0 contested possessions last night from 83% time on ground. He couldn’t win his own ball. Yes he was serviceable but he’d be lucky to hold his place for the next game.
Has the intensity of Dylan Stephens and i liked him , but sometimes you just have to go harder . Also 1 sided and gets caught , Errol and Issac use the wrong side more these days , just offers nothing different

I think there's still plenty of hope for Campbell and he does have time on his side. A few years back I remember being critical of Cunningham shirking contests not being tough enough around the ball, but he's turned that around quite well.

A little bit more size and tackling strength, along with more experience, could see Campbell improve quite significantly.

When the team's playing well there's always a struggle to find the next whipping boy.

Campbell's a good player who could be very good or more with increasing confidence. Freakishly good boot and some genuine pace. Would love to see him using those weapons more

When the team's playing well there's always a struggle to find the next whipping boy.

Campbell's a good player who could be very good or more with increasing confidence. Freakishly good boot and some genuine pace. Would love to see him using those weapons more
What about his right , all he did was bomb it in instead of finding a shorter target

How many right footers don't have a left? You just love to whip some kid, any kid. Just as you like to bully new posters. Give him a break FFS. He's not answerable to you
Your on Big Footy ! Heeney has a left, Papley has one etc . Nothing about bullying , he's playing for my club .
Matt Roberts offers more at this stage and even took 4 telling marks in his short time on the ground . You are way out of line .

Yes I thought I saw him shirk one contest but at the same time he seemed to be of two minds - keep width or go in? I suspect he has a confidence problem, and maybe he's overthinking it.

Stephens had the same issue, and even McInerney at times last year.

It’s a tough position because clearly it’s drilled into them that they can’t get sucked into contest for no impact, and their job is to provide the outlet.

But it makes you look like a squib.

Stephens had the same issue, and even McInerney at times last year.

It’s a tough position because clearly it’s drilled into them that they can’t get sucked into contest for no impact, and their job is to provide the outlet.

But it makes you look like a squib.
That's fair , i just want him to be better as he was a low pick and has had a fair few chances , even a sub in a GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back