List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Whose Trade Bait?

What about Joel Reynolds? He is a rookie but can he be cut from the list? Also Scott Thomson is not a listed player so he would have to nominate for the draft, wouldn't he?

What would you want for Tenace? Is he an inside or outside mid or an allrounder?, iv'e seen a few games and i had this wierd idea he was inside.

What would you want for Tenace? Is he an inside or outside mid or an allrounder?, iv'e seen a few games and i had this wierd idea he was inside.

More of a traditional turbocharged wingman. Real issue is disposal and the fact that Prismall and Davenport would probably break into the senior side first.

anyone tossing around the idea that blake should be traded, should hang their heads in shame... Blake missed out on a GF berth by the skin of his teeth purely because he lacked strength and experience; two things that will improve with time. Blake has alot of upside and good football in front of him, while King has two years tops.

I'd also keep Prismall at all costs. He's an excellent young player and though he didn't get alot of senior games this season, there's no way we'll have such a dream run with injuries in '08.

Delist: Spencer, Gardiner, Owen, D.Johnson/Callan, Playfair

Promote: Lonergan and Grima... Davenport still has another year on the rookie list IIRC...

Tenace as tradebait...

Firstly like it or not , its trade week next week. This is a topic to discuss now

If has been mentioned , that Blake is that disappointed that he would ask to be traded then one really has to wonder if he is the player we would want at our club. If he cant see that he is 3rd in line at this time purely because of his lack of in play skills , he probably will never be dedicated himself enough to improve.
Anyway , its all rumour until its confirmed.

So until then , we now must proceed with care. Obviously we are now in our Premiership window. That King may only 2 or 3 years to go may be irrelevant , to a degree its all about now. If we can fit his demands into our cap , if those demands are reasonable and are performance based then I see no reason not to keep him.
On the other hand , now that he has a flag , he may see the finish of his playing days approaching and may wish one last 3 year killer contract. He may be able to get that contract from some other clubs that feel they need a ready to go ruckman , so we may yet , have to deal him. It would be a shame. An ex Captain and only a few games from 200 but we may need to make the hard call. There is a heap of young ruckmen around this year , and if need be we should be able to pick up a promising young kid with the picks we would get for him.

What about Joel Reynolds? He is a rookie but can he be cut from the list? Also Scott Thomson is not a listed player so he would have to nominate for the draft, wouldn't he?

Answers:

What about him?

He's a rookie so not on the senior list. We can (and will) cut him, but that doesn't help us in our quest to delist 5-6 senior list players so that we can promote 2-3 current rookies and still draft our requisite 3 kids.

Yes.

I think Playfair, Spencer, Gardiner and S Hunt should all be in the firing line, although we should probably keep one to avoid creating a single massive hole in our back-up tall stocks. Probably Charlie or Henry. Promoting Grima and Lonergan to the senior list will help as well, and we should also draft a couple of new KPPs with more long term potential than those listed above.

I would also look at delisting/trading Callan, Tenace, Byrnes and Owen.

I would keep all of King, Blake and Prismall unless they ask to leave.

David Johnson should face some very serious repercussions, but not sure I would get rid of him because he is not in the bottom 10 on the list.

Reynolds is gawn.

Without knowing who's contract is up and who must be elevated, etc I would think the following could be in trouble:

Tenace
Gardiner
Playfair
Spencer
J Reynolds (poor bloke never got a chance but a few have to go)
S Hunt
D Johnson
Callan (hate to do it to him but just does not look like he'll get a chance)

Byrnes may also be expendable. Don't want to lose Prismal or Blake but at the same time if either wanted to go that would be fair enough. I'd prefer they were successful and got a run at other clubs rather than be disgruntled and not getting a chance when they would stroll in to other teams.

Reports suggesting Callan has come to terms with the Bulldogs. I expect the cats will trade him pretty cheaply for an upgrade of a draft pick.

Best case
Bulldogs: Pick 22
Geelong: Callan + pick 34

More likely
Bulldogs Pick: Pick 38
Geelong pick: Callan + pick 50

Tim Callen to the Dogs?

The HUN saying Callen has committed to the WB, and that a trade is only a formality.

Re: Tim Callen to the Dogs?

You mean Callan.

Do the dogs really need another running half back flanker type player? I always thought he would go alright if he was given a run. The fact is he will be 24 at the start of the next season and he was unable to break into our best 22. Would be happy to get a pick for him.

You mean Callan.

Do the dogs really need another running half back flanker type player? I always thought he would go alright if he was given a run. The fact is he will be 24 at the start of the next season and he was unable to break into our best 22. Would be happy to get a pick for him.

They are saying they are going to use him as a tagger. Hopefully Geelong can upgrade there 2nd or 3rd pick.

You mean Callan.

Have mixed feelings about Tim Callan. Fell out with Bomber ( I'm told that Dad being Dad didn't help here) - and seemed to have an up and down year in the 2s. Watched him in one match with some mates who all remarked on his lack of effort - seemed to be a reflection of his pique. I actually hope that he gets a berth elsewhere because he will languish in the VFL side - though that is something of a privilege since they too were premiers and will be to his advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gardiner,Spencer and David Johnson delisted

Callan and Tenace traded

In

Thompson
Lonergan and 3 draft picks

THEY MUST KEEP PRISMALL

Personally, if Geelong is going to trade a ruckman (and I hope they don't) it would have to be King before Blake. Blake has 10 years in front of him, while King is injury prone and has only 2-3 years left. I think that Collingwood, St Kilda and Carlton would both give a high draft pick and/or player for a quality ruckman, hopefully King.

I love King and the game he played on the weekend, but it would be difficult to continue to carry 3 quality ruckmen when many sides struggle to field one.

In one of the kazillion articles I read in the last two days, they said Geelong were looking to promote Lonergan, Davenport and Bedford (no Grima?). Not sure why, two of those they can keep as rookies.

If Callan is going to the Bulldogs then there still needs to be about 5 changes. If a ruck is to go it has to be King. But I don't think his demands would be excessive, so could easily be kept.

As Spud Frawley said on the winners last night,"with ruckman it's not if they get injured BUT when".
We need to keep all our ruckman.Blake is still a couple of years away from being a top liner. Needs to dramatically improve his marking and kicking.
West has much better skills but needs to build up his body and is also a couple of years away.
IMO we need to draft another Ruckman this year with a view that in 2-3 years time Otto and King will be gone. When that happens we will need a back up for Blake and West.

Possible King trade

Hate to say it but if the right offer comes forward, we'd be silly not to consider it, in the same way we traded Moloney a couple of years back.

Stan Alves is saying a 2nd or 3rd round pick which to me is no enough considering Sydney paid a 2nd round pick in a loaded draft last year for a 31y.o dressing room cancer in Spida.

Kingy is 28 and will give 2 to 3 years service. Probably rather a 2nd or 3rd year 200cm developing kid and maybe a late draft choice.

I think Sydney and Collingwood might have a couple of possibilities.

good to see tim get a go elsewhere, cause realistically he wont be getting a game for us. dogs need someone with a bit of grit and toughness.

Yeah, seems pretty definite. We all knew he was unhappy last year, but that seemed to have changed and he did win the reserves B&F - thought it was more likely that DJ would be given the flick and Callan would stay.

Gutted really. One of my favourite players.

Re: Possible King trade

Yeah but Spida came with a lot bigger wraps than King...you're right, would love to see King play out his days in the hoops but reality might intervene - we have four ruckmen and they're probably looking to draft another this year. There's a huge market for rucks and we could get quite a bit out of it; having said that, given we already are going to struggle to make enough places on the list, trying to get a player and a pick for him could be counter-productive. I'd rather just a high-ish draft pick (especially if it meant we could nab Scott Thompson).

The dogs are one of, if not the worst contested team in the league, Callan could help them by adding some much needed toughness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back