Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

They will conk out tho DA4...look at how Conca (who I so want to succeed & yep has had a shitty run with injuries) is still trying to run out a season....and then there is 2nd year blues etc.

I reckon Floss will be a better player than Bachar...but right now I have Bachar in the team ahead of him...can't see kids going the distance into a long hard season...especially if we want to be top 4...I will take 90% delivery at 100% capacity over a notional 100% delivery at 70% capacity

Yeah i think youre right, round 1 might be early for the kids. I was basically just saying i dont see why they absolutely cant be in our best 22, i definitely think theres a chance, but its dependent on many factors. Kids burning out is definitely an issue, but maybe our depth can help cover that if they need a rest later on in the year? I dont think you can compare a few years ago to when we had to blood the youngins so early because we had no one else to now, because we have more depth who are able to come in and play a role should anyone need a rest. I think that in itself gives us the ability to play a kid or two in the early rounds IF they earn it over the preseason and NAB challenge (they would have to show some serious form)

Yeah one been reading that a bit but I don't think he was as bad last year as what people are saying...

He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me

Ahhh...I don't want to get in a blue over this...both Bachar and Flossy are givens in my best 22 anyway...Flossy has more arrows to his bow than Bachar...but Bachar has the tank and skill set that makes him a given on the HB line at this point

Ahhh...I don't want to get in a blue over this...both Bachar and Flossy are givens in my best 22 anyway...Flossy has more arrows to his bow than Bachar...but Bachar has the tank and skill set that makes him a given on the HB line at this point

No blue - I just love floss

Vlastuin is a better suited to middle than hbf I reckon

Last edited:

Yeah i think youre right, round 1 might be early for the kids. I was basically just saying i dont see why they absolutely cant be in our best 22, i definitely think theres a chance, but its dependent on many factors. Kids burning out is definitely an issue, but maybe our depth can help cover that if they need a rest later on in the year? I dont think you can compare a few years ago to when we had to blood the youngins so early because we had no one else to now, because we have more depth who are able to come in and play a role should anyone need a rest. I think that in itself gives us the ability to play a kid or two in the early rounds IF they earn it over the preseason and NAB challenge (they would have to show some serious form)

I know what you are thinking...run the colts till they are knackered then sub with the stayers. That would be a fair if the skillset is 1:1...I just reckon if we use a newbie R1...it will be for a tad of shock and awe...training will never expose the lads to real time pressure...they have to learn how to cope with making a mistake and not dwelling on it...

My Round 1 side:

B: Chaplin Astbury Batchelor
HB: Houli Rance Vlastuin
C: B.Ellis Martin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Edwards
F: Morris Riewoldt Vickery
R: Maric Cotchin Miles
INT: Hunt Petterd Grigg
SUB: Lennon

My End of Year 22:

B: Morris Astbury Batchelor
HB: Houli Rance Lennon
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
INT: C.Ellis McDonough Drummond
SUB: Menadue

Out: Hunt Petterd Grigg Chaplin
In: C.Ellis McDonough Menadue Drummond
Position Changes: Morris from FP to BP, Lennon from SUB to HBF, Vlastuin from HBF to centre, Martin from centre to HFF, Edwards from HFF to FP

As you can see by the bolded players the foundation of what I believe will be the side to push deep into finals is already in place. What we need though is that injection of youth to freshen things up a bit. For mine those players are McDonough Lennon C.Ellis Menadue & Drummond. Now some will disagree with those players but IMO they offer what I believe we are missing. There is speed (Drummond/Menadue), skill(C.Ellis/Lennon/McDonough), hardness(Drummond/C.Ellis) & flexibility(all 5 can play multiple positions).

When compared to the players they have replaced in the line up, I believe it makes us a better side and will also make us a much more competitive side.

My Round 1 side:

C: B.Ellis Martin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Edwards
F: Morris Riewoldt Vickery
INT: Hunt Petterd Grigg
SUB: Lennon

My End of Year 22:

B: Morris Astbury Batchelor
HB: Houli Rance Lennon
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Vickery Riewoldt Edwards
INT: C.Ellis McDonough Drummond

Out: Hunt Petterd Grigg Chaplin
In: C.Ellis McDonough Menadue Drummond
Position Changes: Morris from FP to BP, Lennon from SUB to HBF, Vlastuin from HBF to centre, Martin from centre to HFF, Edwards from HFF to FP

As you can see by the bolded players the foundation of what I believe will be the side to push deep into finals is already in place. What we need though is that injection of youth to freshen things up a bit. For mine those players are McDonough Lennon C.Ellis Menadue & Drummond. Now some will disagree with those players but IMO they offer what I believe we are missing. There is speed (Drummond/Menadue), skill(C.Ellis/Lennon/McDonough), hardness(Drummond/C.Ellis) & flexibility(all 5 can play multiple positions).

When compared to the players they have replaced in the line up, I believe it makes us a better side and will also make us a much more competitive side.

Love the changes EAD... you'll be on the money with Morris and Vlas for sure I reckon. Edwards to a FP??? now you are teasing me.... I like.

Its going to be interesting how long the Morris experiment lasts.... I hope it last 2 pre-season games.

Vlas in the middle... How he wasnt played there more often last season had me tears at times....

Surely this Morris in the forward line thing is some elaborate prank, I'm already frustrated at the thought of the goals he will miss. If he is to play it has to be how he was used in his first season. Doesn't have the skills or smarts to be used as a link up player like they tried last year and I think putting him forward will be a huge mistake.

Surely this Morris in the forward line thing is some elaborate prank, I'm already frustrated at the thought of the goals he will miss. If he is to play it has to be how he was used in his first season. Doesn't have the skills or smarts to be used as a link up player like they tried last year and I think putting him forward will be a huge mistake.
It was brought up before that it may be designed to make sure there's enough forward line pressure in order to play 3 talls without it coming out too easily. Only thing that would make sense, even then don't really like it.

Agree 100%. What I cant understand, we tried this a few years ago and it was a disaster, whats changed for them to try again ? FFS we have Edwards who can play the creative small who can also apply good defensive pressure. I was speaking to a mate of mine, who actually works at another club. I mentioned his thoughts on Morris and he said something I never thought about that has not been really mentioned here.

He believes Morris will struggle forward as he is a straight line player, its common for players who play back. The game opens a head of them so they tend to run straight lines and on release of first possession is easier from the back as the opposition normally sets up defensive side so the pressure is not as bad. In the forward line, you cant be a straight line player as he wont have a option A to kick too once he as first possession. He has to think but also see laterally and release to a free option while normally under extreme pressure. Now Morris is not a dumb player but it will be a huge challenge as most players cant do that type of transition.

A lock based on what? He hasn't played an AFL game and is fighting for a hotly contested position as a flanker. The likes of Deledio, Edwards, Gordon, Lloyd, McDonough, Lennon, Knights, Petterd are all in contention for this spot. Lambert will have to prove himself before jumping the queue.

A lock based on what? He hasn't played an AFL game and is fighting for a hotly contested position as a flanker. The likes of Deledio, Edwards, Gordon, Lloyd, McDonough, Lennon, Knights, Petterd are all in contention for this spot. Lambert will have to prove himself before jumping the queue.
Agreed but let's wait and see.

C: B.Ellis Martin Hunt
HF: Deledio Vickery Conca
F: Edwards Riewoldt Lennon
INT: Griffiths Petterd Gordon

Have tried to balance a bit of speed, hardness and skill across the lines.
That back line looks nigh impenetrable to me. C/R line is mouthwatering. Forward line is a beautiful mongrel breed of marking power, skill and x factor.
I've got the three talls there but I'm not convinced they can all operate in one forward line together. If we can utilise the bench/sub and allow them to rotate through the ruck and down back in Griffs case it can work imo.
Big fan of giving Menadue a crack early in sub capacity, reckon the limited game time (read: pressure) would give him a good sense of big time AFL without crushing him under the weight of expectation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edwards definitely can offer that defensive pressure while kicking goals as T71 mentioned maybe he is needed more in the guts. Just seems a negative move to put Morris in that position. Why couldn't we just teach one of so many options we have with fp to just become tackling defensive beasts? Maybe it's a body thing as Morris is huge?

Agree 100%. What I cant understand, we tried this a few years ago and it was a disaster, whats changed for them to try again ? FFS we have Edwards who can play the creative small who can also apply good defensive pressure. I was speaking to a mate of mine, who actually works at another club. I mentioned his thoughts on Morris and he said something I never thought about that has not been really mentioned here.

He believes Morris will struggle forward as he is a straight line player, its common for players who play back. The game opens a head of them so they tend to run straight lines and on release of first possession is easier from the back as the opposition normally sets up defensive side so the pressure is not as bad. In the forward line, you cant be a straight line player as he wont have a option A to kick too once he as first possession. He has to think but also see laterally and release to a free option while normally under extreme pressure. Now Morris is not a dumb player but it will be a huge challenge as most players cant do that type of transition.

These are some of the reasons Conca, as well as Hunt, need to be trialled at back pocket IMO. Whether they need to be trialled at back pocket at AFL level we can wait and see, but it is good for team balance and versatility that players play in different roles if only for shortened periods for their own development and refinement.

I have a feeling Conca may be suited at times to a back pocket role given how he moves at times, Hunt has been down back, and Morris has played forward in the past apparently. Morris may be not suited to every BP matchup scenario, depending on the opposition set-up, so the team needs to be more flexible in how it plays.
I also think at times Conca needs to speed up his decision making and hasten his disposal. Playing back pocket should force him to be far more alert and urgent improving his overall game and style IMO. It should help him priotise his decisions far more effectively as well

Last edited:
C: B.Ellis Martin Hunt
HF: Deledio Vickery Conca
F: Edwards Riewoldt Lennon
INT: Griffiths Petterd Gordon

Have tried to balance a bit of speed, hardness and skill across the lines.
That back line looks nigh impenetrable to me. C/R line is mouthwatering. Forward line is a beautiful mongrel breed of marking power, skill and x factor.
I've got the three talls there but I'm not convinced they can all operate in one forward line together. If we can utilise the bench/sub and allow them to rotate through the ruck and down back in Griffs case it can work imo.
Big fan of giving Menadue a crack early in sub capacity, reckon the limited game time (read: pressure) would give him a good sense of big time AFL without crushing him under the weight of expectation.

I just think by replacing Chaplin/Batchelor with Grimes, it adds so much versatility. Grimes to me is the one defender other than Rance who can play tall or small. He is extremely quick and can actually defend on an opponent, unlike Chaplin. Grimes had a down year last year, but I definitely think he deserves first crack instead of Chappy or Batch, depending on math ups. Chaplin is not the answer long term.

I just think by replacing Chaplin/Batchelor with Grimes, it adds so much versatility. Grimes to me is the one defender other than Rance who can play tall or small. He is extremely quick and can actually defend on an opponent, unlike Chaplin. Grimes had a down year last year, but I definitely think he deserves first crack instead of Chappy or Batch, depending on math ups. Chaplin is not the answer long term.
Chappy is a fantastic reader of play and gels well with and compliments Rance imo. As for Batch versus Grimes; I'm keen to see Batchelor get a chance, he's put in the hard yards this pre-season and can add a little bit more in terms of mongrel and rebound. Grimes needs to be more than the iron fist and a safe get-out-of-jail option across half back. Just my opinion of course not writing anyone off by any means.

At the end of the day for me if we can't get the 3 talls to work, then don't. I would love to see this happen but if we can have a more effective team structure that is more potent without the 3 then do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back