Review 2016 AFL National Draft ( incl Rookies and reviews)

Remove this Banner Ad

146302_4e1fcff0a64547527799c09d03899807.jpg

With a frame like this (taken about 10 months ago I think) Jordan will be physically ready by NAB cup time 2017. He now lacks 12 months preparation having missed most of last season. That's his challenge. He must treat every drill as if it is part of the games he missed last year.

He's doing the classic footy player photo pose though. Press your hands against your arms to make your biceps look bigger.

He's doing the classic footy player photo pose though. Press your hands against your arms to make your biceps look bigger.

Thats true. But he muffs it on his left side and he looks OK there. I'll stick with what I said its not body with him, its ability - especially the hard ball stuff- from here.

So.... we need to trade in a rd1 pick in order to be able to trade one out again, otherwise we have to use the picks.

I really don't see the why we would consider the former, zero-sum, path

So.... we need to trade in a rd1 pick in order to be able to trade one out again, otherwise we have to use the picks.

I really don't see the why we would consider the former, zero-sum, path

I am going into Xmas with one idea in my head about this: No need to do anything about that "rule".

If a good opportunity arises trade up so we free up future first rounders for trading. But, if a better opportunity arises that causes us Not to trade up to a first rounder then so be it (same if we look like being beaten up trying to trade up).

Penalty: we would have to use the next (?? I would assume 2 ) future first rounders. So be that too.

Business as usual.

Main draft

26. Brandan Parfitt (NT Thunder)
38. Tom Stewart (Geelong VFL)
43. Esava Ratouglea (Murray Bushrangers)
60. Quinton Narkle (Perth)
67. Tim House (Geelong VFL)
69. Ryan Abbott (Geelong VFL)

Rookie draft

16. Jack Henry (Geelong Falcons)
33. Zach Guthrie (Calder Cannons)
48. Jamaine Jones (North Ballarat Rebels)
53. Sam Simpson (Geelong Falcons)

Stand out for me is Stewart. Saw him play VFL and my impression was that he was a tackling machine. Very quickly went to another level playing AFL. He would have to be automatic selection for us when fit and I think he has the potential to be All Australian.

Parfitt another who is best 22 in his first season. Has a good all round game and a touch of class.

Rookies Zach Guthrie and Sam Simpson have jumped over the others and debuted. Both are undersized. Zuthrie shows composure and good decision making. Simpson looks to have good toe and not afraid of physical contact - a bit like James Kellly maybe?

Jamaine Jones probably next best. He's very quick and skillful. Ahead of Narkle at this stage.

Main draft

26. Brandan Parfitt (NT Thunder)
38. Tom Stewart (Geelong VFL)
43. Esava Ratouglea (Murray Bushrangers)
60. Quinton Narkle (Perth)
67. Tim House (Geelong VFL)
69. Ryan Abbott (Geelong VFL)

Rookie draft

16. Jack Henry (Geelong Falcons)
33. Zach Guthrie (Calder Cannons)
48. Jamaine Jones (North Ballarat Rebels)
53. Sam Simpson (Geelong Falcons)

Stand out for me is Stewart. Saw him play VFL and my impression was that he was a tackling machine. Very quickly went to another level playing AFL. He would have to be automatic selection for us when fit and I think he has the potential to be All Australian.

Parfitt another who is best 22 in his first season. Has a good all round game and a touch of class.

Rookies Zach Guthrie and Sam Simpson have jumped over the others and debuted. Both are undersized. Zuthrie shows composure and good decision making. Simpson looks to have good toe and not afraid of physical contact - a bit like James Kellly maybe?

Jamaine Jones probably next best. He's very quick and skillful. Ahead of Narkle at this stage.

Parfitt & Stewart the definite stand outs. Both already locked in our Best 22 when fit. Stewart can play on smalls/talls plus tackles and intercepts well so is pretty much the perfect modern-day defender. Parfitt already a lock as a small forward and will only get better as he gets more midfield time, has great balance and fantastic decision making, will be a star.

Narkle a big setback with the ACL. Hopefully he doesn't lose too much of his agility on return as it was a good weapon of his.

Esava a good project player. Good leap & hands. Needs to work on staying involved for longer + his goal kicking but hopefully that improves with another pre-season.

House & Abbott both for depth which is fair enough with Menzel's injury history + our ruck injury history.

Henry very athletic but also needs to work on staying involved in the game more. Could surprise after another pre-season, just depends what position they try to lock him down in, maybe a Wing and use his pace & endurance to run up and down the wing.

Z. Guthrie & Simpson are just absolute steals in the rookie draft. Both have great composure and pretty good decision making, simply need more time in the gym and they'll be getting regular gametime in the seniors.

Jones could be another steal too, had a couple of very impressive games in the VFL, should play JLT next year and be pushing for senior selection Round 1 next season (will depend on fitness and availability of our other small forwards).

So overall I'm very happy with this draft, if I had to rate it out of 10 I'd say 8/10. Narkle's injury really hurts him unfortunately + I guess we could've picked a couple better prospects with the House & Abbott draft picks (not sure if there were any players taken around their picks which we could've gone with instead) but they are still good for depth (though they've been injured at times as well).

2016 looks like a good draft and possibly an exceptional draft, depending on development and luck with injuries. We could be presented with some nice to have but nonetheless difficult list management decisions at end of 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back