List Mgmt. 2016 GFC National Draft & DFA Thread-please see Mod Announcement Page 50 post #1228

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long term Marshall will be the better player, Battle has the senior body but is that awkward inbetween height and might not necessarily make it as a key position forward at AFL Level.
I tend to agree, I don't think he will make it as a key position forward.

I dont want to keep Clark but Its like the club have almost positioned them selfs to do just that.
Key forward depth: Hawkins, Buzza, Black.

If you don't want Clark then I'm open to ideas.

Looking at our list I think we will target a KPF with pick 24.
Pick 38 & 42 my assumption there would be a defensive utility mid & KPD.
Pick 64, 72 & 74 I think for a ruckman (R/F or R/D) player, a tall forward and a inside/outside mid.

Stanley...
Honestly I'd rather Lonergan, Taylor or Henderson.
That's my way of saying I don't rate him as a forward option.

He should be fighting with Blicavs for no.2 ruck. The other playing VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not a matter of who I don't want.. I feel I'll be trying to tolerate players for a while to come.

Personally , as I have expressed , I have no interest in short term top ups now. I would draft one player min. that can potentially be an option if really in trouble but really has no real chance of being selected. Im looking at athletic talls that perhaps can play KP in a pinch and help out in the ruck. Tony Olango appeals. Where he will go I have no idea but at times he is almost a young NicNat. Another tall I like who has mainly played back but has the talent to learn forward imo , is Mitch Macarthy.
Wells will probably (much to Pure_Ownage displeasure) go value again. Jy Simpkin if he last to 28 will be too tempting for him.

In the end Id rather get beaten playing young and future players... play older ones and not winning is unacceptable

As much as Clark isn't rated. He did have a very good VFL run. I'd back him in. If we keep him and had a good preseason.

Buzza is too raw IMO. See what happens with Black as well in preseason. Stanley/Smith to rotate in there but not a permanent solution.
I'd prefer Blicavs as mid or def/mid but in no way a forward.
Either way I think our first pick will be going for a KPF or Tall forward.

Is he good to go from round 1?

No kpf is really rate for season 1 unless you are freakishly good you need time to develop at vfl level. That said battle has a strong body and high end endurance so is physically ready to play fairly early. If we are looking for a kpf ready option for next year outside the current best 22 it probably needs to be black.

No it doesn't. We have a very poor record of drafting KPPs s 18yo.

Anything but, please!

Where else would you suggest we get one? All the stats will tell you they command the highest trade price of any player type.

And if you are going to do one you are best to do it early (in this case 24) as it is a lot easier to draft good mids with late picks than good key forwards with late picks.

Where else would you suggest we get one? All the stats will tell you they command the highest trade price of any player type.

And if you are going to do one you are best to do it early (in this case 24) as it is a lot easier to draft good mids with late picks than good key forwards with late picks.
Yep, may as well take a punt otherwise when Hawkins goes down we are screwed.

History would say they aren't worth drafting outside the top 15...

As for Geelong's history... father-son, trade or rookie list. Only Lonergan and Taylor have been drafted early and been successful. Lonergan as a Key Forward, and Taylor as a 20yo...

Of all our other pivotal KPP during our Premisership Era...

Mooney, Harley, Ottens - Trade
Scarlett, Hawkins, Nathan Ablett - Father Son
Podsiadly - Rookie

Wells is a great recruiter, but not when it comes to KPP. stick to what he knows best.

Its not a matter of who I don't want.. I feel I'll be trying to tolerate players for a while to come.

Personally , as I have expressed , I have no interest in short term top ups now. I would draft one player min. that can potentially be an option if really in trouble but really has no real chance of being selected. Im looking at athletic talls that perhaps can play KP in a pinch and help out in the ruck. Tony Olango appeals. Where he will go I have no idea but at times he is almost a young NicNat. Another tall I like who has mainly played back but has the talent to learn forward imo , is Mitch Macarthy.
Wells will probably (much to Pure_Ownage displeasure) go value again. Jy Simpkin if he last to 28 will be too tempting for him.

In the end Id rather get beaten playing young and future players... play older ones and not winning is unacceptable
There's two objectives here. Firstly the draft, imo we should be using the draft to pick up at least one key forward in each of the national and rookie drafts, the rookie draft most likely being House from the VFL. Should also use the 3-5 rookie spots open to draft a ruck or ruck/forward as well.

Now of course that doesn't solve what to do with CHF for this upcoming season, we need someone or we need to alter the game plan.
Playing the way we do without a recognised CHF won't work. So either back the coaches in to change the way we play or we need to find a 3nd tall forward.
As much as Clark isn't rated. He did have a very good VFL run. I'd back him in. If we keep him and had a good preseason.

Buzza is too raw IMO. See what happens with Black as well in preseason. Stanley/Smith to rotate in there but not a permanent solution.
I'd prefer Blicavs as mid or def/mid but in no way a forward.
Either way I think our first pick will be going for a KPF or Tall forward.
Buzza is too raw, I agree.
Agree also that our first national draft selection should be a tall forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back