List Mgmt. 2016 GFC National Draft & DFA Thread-please see Mod Announcement Page 50 post #1228

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this interesting from Knightmares page. When asked who would be number 1, this was his response.

It's so close overall. I could name 20 players who when they're at their best I could make a case for as being the best. Some are just more consistent than others.

I'd say McCluggage's best is probably the best overall, McGrath close and Brodie not far off either - as regularly productive and influential but also consistent.

Willem Drew I also see as someone who influences games heavily through the midfield, and during the TAC Cup season arguably more than anyone for mine.
Drew is a ripper. Knows how to win his own pill.

History would say they aren't worth drafting outside the top 15...

As for Geelong's history... father-son, trade or rookie list. Only Lonergan and Taylor have been drafted early and been successful. Lonergan as a Key Forward, and Taylor as a 20yo...

Of all our other pivotal KPP during our Premisership Era...

Mooney, Harley, Ottens - Trade
Scarlett, Hawkins, Nathan Ablett - Father Son
Podsiadly - Rookie

Wells is a great recruiter, but not when it comes to KPP. stick to what he knows best.

Nana.. you are correct but like always there is a time when you can break the rule. Like the Dogs this year for instance. There will be a few that slip thru this year for sure , will it be Kerr who knows.

I think he could be there at 40 .
Saw him play once, was head and shoulders above every other player. Opposition just. He'd be a fantastic get for anyone if he lasted that long. Genuine footballer. Saw the knock a few years ago on Matt Crouch's disposal but he is showing if you just keep getting it you are always a chance to make it. No use being flashy like Murdoch if ya can't get ya hands on it.

History would say they aren't worth drafting outside the top 15...

As for Geelong's history... father-son, trade or rookie list. Only Lonergan and Taylor have been drafted early and been successful. Lonergan as a Key Forward, and Taylor as a 20yo...

Of all our other pivotal KPP during our Premisership Era...

Mooney, Harley, Ottens - Trade
Scarlett, Hawkins, Nathan Ablett - Father Son
Podsiadly - Rookie

Wells is a great recruiter, but not when it comes to KPP. stick to what he knows best.

Pods was a 28yo mature rookie and nathan was FS.
I love what moons and harley did but they didnt do a lot at their first clubs and were speculative. It is much harder to trade good key forwards cheap than it was 10 yrs ago every club is on to it and they all want one.
Either we draft a good one this year and back that in or we accept it will cost about a top 10 pick and a best 22 player to trade one in and compete with half a dozen clubs trying to trade for the same player. I prefer the former.

Vdubs Knowing your ER attachments, who do you think would fit our needs and be available at 24 ish?

Any ideas

GO Catters
Josh Begley. Very strongly built ready to play gun. Came from nowhere, literally.
Clarke and Gallucci are guns and will go top 15.
We might nab Witherden, Geelong Falcon, running HBF/Mid.

Not convinced Richards is any better than what we already have or could get out of the draft, he kicked 13 goals in 10 games in the second best side in the comp....

More I think about this pick, the fact that we brought in Tuohy, probably upgrade Ruggles, and may even select Stewart with a late pick, it suggests we won't go a medium defender (like Witherden) and that we will either go for a KPF (Battle or Kerr) or a versatile inside/outside mid.

We can normally get KPD with a later pick in the 30s/40s.

Or Wells might reach again, let's hope he doesn't and goes best available.

No to KPF at 24. Just don't see a whole lot of good options in this position that will be available at 24. Think we should be looking for a good sized lad with excellent disposal. A Deledio type player.

No to KPF at 24. Just don't see a whole lot of good options in this position that will be available at 24. Think we should be looking for a good sized lad with excellent disposal. A Deledio type player.

I keep reading about some kid called Kerr that might fit the bill..and be a second rounder....Can anyone comment on him?

I'm expecting we'll go for a player with an injury history. Perhaps sore ankle or dodgy foot. I'm hoping Well gets the best available injury and not try to replace injuries that we've lost with Smedts and Vardy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Pick 24: Geelong's tall forward stocks are slim behind star big man Tom Hawkins, which might make them have a think about key forward Josh Battle. The Dandenong Stingrays goalkicker is 192cm and plays in a conventional style, running up and down the ground and converting his shots. He booted 24 goals in eight games for the Stingrays this year and is a lovely, uncomplicated kick for goal. He seems likely to be selected in this area of the draft, either late in the first round or early in the second.

Around the mark: Cedric Cox, Alex Witherden, Shai Bolton"

That's what the AFL website says about who we might take at 24.

"Pick 24: Geelong's tall forward stocks are slim behind star big man Tom Hawkins, which might make them have a think about key forward Josh Battle. The Dandenong Stingrays goalkicker is 192cm and plays in a conventional style, running up and down the ground and converting his shots. He booted 24 goals in eight games for the Stingrays this year and is a lovely, uncomplicated kick for goal. He seems likely to be selected in this area of the draft, either late in the first round or early in the second.

Alex Witherden please...

Battle and Kerr are both pretty good options as is Marshall on the unlikely chance he slips through. I wouldn't be against bidding on Zac Sproule to see if the Giants match or not.

I am not sure we really need another mid-Caddy was playing on a forward flank and even with Cockatoo taking his spot (which is what I expect to happen) we still have Lang waiting in the wings and Horlin Smith who can't get a game. Unless you are talking about a good kicking half back or half forward which I would then agree with but I don't really see that we need to draft another mid early.

Alex Witherden please...

I rate this guy a lot and he does scream Wells type but where our list depth is at I don't think I want to be spending a high pick on a player coming off a major injury. Where we are at this year it's too big a risk.

It will depend a bit on what slips through. None of the KPF are likely to go top 6ish but all are a chance in the 10-25 range. I would think the biggest danger to us in terms of clubs taking KPF would be Sydney at 9 and 19 (I assume they will look pretty closely at Marshall) and Port at 14 and 17. The Dogs may also have a look at either a key forward or key back at 18. Of the clubs picking around us North West Coast Adelaide and GWS (unless they want to take Marshall just for the academy factor but their list doesnt need him) and Essendon and St Kilda probably won't pick a KPF so a decent one may get through to us.

If both Kerr and Witherden are available at 24 I wonder which way Wells will go? Our dire need for a young KPF would probably lean towards Kerr but I reckon Witherden will possibly end up the better player.

(Wells will prob pick someone we haven't even considered...).

Could be any of the 3. My only issue is based on history it's a very low chance of getting a good afl standard key forward outside the top 30 so thats where I would use 24 as I think in a deep midfielder's draft a good mid or half back will probably slip through to 38 anyway. Witherden is a nice player though.

Could be any of the 3. My only issue is based on history it's a very low chance of getting a good afl standard key forward outside the top 30 so thats where I would use 24 as I think in a deep midfielder's draft a good mid or half back will probably slip through to 38 anyway. Witherden is a nice player though.

I think the state of our list dictates that if Kerr (or Battle) is available then they have to be taken. I just hope that either turn out to be bona fide AFL KPF's. We can't afford to be wasting the few highish picks we have.

Josh Begley. Very strongly built ready to play gun. Came from nowhere, literally.
Clarke and Gallucci are guns and will go top 15.
We might nab Witherden, Geelong Falcon, running HBF/Mid.

Beagley has speed issue I have read.
I doubt both Clarke and GMan will go top 15 but who knows
Witherden question is speed again. I really would have liked to see him in this years champs. Apparently pushing 190

I have merged the pick 24 thread with the overall draft thread here as it doesn't seem necessary to have separate threads for each draft pick at this stage. Please feel free to discuss any of our national or rookie draft picks as well as delisted free agents and any other list changes in this thread.

I think the state of our list dictates that if Kerr (or Battle) is available then they have to be taken. I just hope that either turn out to be bona fide AFL KPF's. We can't afford to be wasting the few highish picks we have.

I do agree. I know Hawkins has a long term contract but he will turn 29 next year an KPF's start to decline in their 30s, Clark will turn 30 at the end of next year and if he stays it's as a 1 year depth type thing (which may be justified when we are in the window) he has no long term future here and Buzza really is a spec pick and there is no Kersten or Vardy. Henderson or Taylor can and probably will play key forward at times next year but that's a stopgap designed to win a flag next year it's not a long term solution. If you subscribe to the idea that most 18yo KPF take until their 3rd or 4th year to be fully ready for afl I think this year is the time we need to draft one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back