List Mgmt. 2016 GFC National Draft & DFA Thread-please see Mod Announcement Page 50 post #1228

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the addition 2e I have moved from that requirement being our first need to the HFF type. I not sure about left footer right footer but a more pure forward who can give minutes on ball. Some one clever who can create.. its probably why I like the way Simpkin sounds..if he is there at 24..thats a fair slip. Hayward has really been shooter and he would surprise either.

Here what CT says on Simpkin

JY SIMPKIN
POS:
Half-forward/midfielder, Ht 181cm, Wt 71kg, DOB 5/3/98
From Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Simpkin will be a difficult one to assess for clubs this year, and he knows that. He only played a handful of games at the start of the season before breaking his leg and missing the rest of the season. He is gradually working up his program, however, and was back running recently and doing some light lane work. The exciting half-forward flanker is creative, he kicks goals and makes things happen. If not for his injury he would have pushed for top-10 contention such is his spark and energy in attack.
Simpkin is the kind of player Wells will punt on coming back from a broken leg, top end talent when he was fit and could slide down the draft order.

Barlow would have 4 or 5 years in him for mine, started his career at 22 and missed the best part of a year early on with a broken leg, longevity shouldn't be an issue.

He is too old.... or should I say too short term.

28...is too old?...crikey.

He's got 3-4 years left in him at least..thats not short term in todays environment.

Gee....the ageism on this board must be contagious.

If he's delisted, and hasn't got some debilitating injury we are not aware of, he will certainly be snapped up.

While I personally think he would be good for us (a pick in the 60's would be a steal), I would be amazed if he came to Geelong.,,,although his original club was Werribee...:eek:

Last edited:

He's got 3-4 years left in him at least..thats not short term in todays environment.

If he's delisted, and hasn't got some debilitating injury we are not aware of, he will certainly be snapped up.

While I personally think he would be good for us (a pick in the 60's would be a steal), I would be amazed if he came to Geelong.,,,although his original club was Werribee...:eek:

29 in Dec. to be precise. Its not the board in general but it is me.. contagious? Well the thing that that infected me was our sickening Sept effort.

If he is a DFA , not pick is required he just needs a club to take him in on..its another point in your favour but as Ive said id prefer to focus younger. Every player like him we bring in , its a younger player not getting games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

29 in Dec. to precise. Its not the board in general but it is me.. contagious? Well the thing that that invected me was our sickening Sept effort.

If he is a DFA , not pick is required he just needs a club to take him in on..its another point in your favour but as Ive said id prefer to focus younger. Every player like him we bring in , its a younger player not getting games.

Not just you Turbo. I'm of the firm belief that our immediate hopes for a flag are now gone, particularly after last weeks trade fiasco. I'd like to see the likes of Gardner and Parsons be given some exposure to AFL next year and have a real emphasis on picking up young talent in the next few years.

Not just you Turbo. I'm of the firm belief that our immediate hopes for a flag are now gone, particularly after last weeks trade fiasco. I'd like to see the likes of Gardner and Parsons be given some exposure to AFL next year and have a real emphasis on picking up young talent in the next few years.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I think we have the personnel player wise but my concern still lies with the hierarchy steering the ship.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I think we have the personnel player wise but my concern still lies with the hierarchy steering the ship.

I have concerns with both Nakia.

I'm not sure whether we've reached the ceiling of our mid aged group but the fact that they have flat lined in the past year gives cause for concern. We can't possibly win a flag unless the mid tier go to another level. Whether their stagnation is due to poor coaching is another question. Have we currently got the right mix of coaches? The development program of GFC was once lauded as the best in the league - it's not what is once was now that McCartney etc have left.

In terms of players my concerns are that we are short of another decent key forward, a crumbing forward and more run through the midfield. Whilst Tuohy will help with some run from defence, I don't think that is enough by himself. Can Stanley stand up in a key forward role? I doubt it. Can Thurlow come immediately back in a have a real impact? It's a lot to ask a young player who has had 12 months out of the game. Will the loss of Enright from defence be profound?

Our game plan is stilted and has been exposed in finals for a some time now. Whether Scott has the ability to rejig it is debatable. He seems to me to be quite a stubborn coach. Perhaps it's the personnel that has formed his game plan? Either way it's not going to win us a flag in it's current form.

You also have to look at the opposition. We are only going to see the likes of GWS and the Bulldogs improve from this years performances. Both have young sides, laden with talent. Far more than our own. How can we possibly beat them when we are so reliant on two players? Sydney will continue to do well; then you have that group of Melbourne and St Kilda who are getting better whilst still adding young talent through the draft.

I can see why Scott etc went all out to get Dangerfield. He's a unique player that we really didn't have to give up an awful lot for. But if we thought that he was going to be the answer to all our prayers then they were misguided.

Anyway, just a few of my concerns :'(:( for you to take away!

I have concerns with both Nakia.

I'm not sure whether we've reached the ceiling of our mid aged group but the fact that they have flat lined in the past year gives cause for concern. We can't possibly win a flag unless the mid tier go to another level. Whether their stagnation is due to poor coaching is another question. Have we currently got the right mix of coaches? The development program of GFC was once lauded as the best in the league - it's not what is once was now that McCartney etc have left.

In terms of players my concerns are that we are short of another decent key forward, a crumbing forward and more run through the midfield. Whilst Tuohy will help with some run from defence, I don't think that is enough by himself. Can Stanley stand up in a key forward role? I doubt it. Can Thurlow come immediately back in a have a real impact? It's a lot to ask a young player who has had 12 months out of the game. Will the loss of Enright from defence be profound?

Our game plan is stilted and has been exposed in finals for a some time now. Whether Scott has the ability to rejig it is debatable. He seems to me to be quite a stubborn coach. Perhaps it's the personnel that has formed his game plan? Either way it's not going to win us a flag in it's current form.

You also have to look at the opposition. We are only going to see the likes of GWS and the Bulldogs improve from this years performances. Both have young sides, laden with talent. Far more than our own. How can we possibly beat them when we are so reliant on two players? Sydney will continue to do well; then you have that group of Melbourne and St Kilda who are getting better whilst still adding young talent through the draft.

I can see why Scott etc went all out to get Dangerfield. He's a unique player that we really didn't have to give up an awful lot for. But if we thought that he was going to be the answer to all our prayers then they were misguided.

Anyway, just a few of my concerns :'(:( for you to take away!
Very good response. I haven't the time to respond in any detail just yet but you've echoed my thoughts in a number of areas.

Just quickly, my biggest concern about Scott as a coach is his tolerance to undiscipline and it's a major factor in our meek finals showing since 2011.

I'll elaborate a little later.

The only issue I have with Barlow is his pace.

Our players with pace either are not quite up to it (e.g. Murdoch) or very inconsistent (e.g. Motlop).

We need a player that will run and break the lines more than we need a inside mid.

BUT he still is probably worth having a close look at, just in case Selwood or Dangerfield get injured (Heaven forbid!).

Barlow is a better version of Caddy and we could get him for free, probably a better inside mid and on par as a half forward; would be a good replacement.

As we all know Wells & Co. pay a lot of attention to our expert opinions here on BF when drafting new players.
Post your videos and bios for anyone you think we might nab or just hope we do.

Please merge with other threads if there is one going.

Haven't looked to deeply myself but i believe Patrick Kerr shaping most likely with our first pick. Other 1st-2nd round Key forwards are Marshall & Battle but i expect both to be gone by our pick.
Highlights below.

Really quick lead, 194cm, good overhead.

He is a good player but he isn't what we need.

He is a good player but he isn't what we need.
We need GOOD players.
The more GOOD mids we have the better.
We weren't smashed by Swans due to a lack of pace, it was depth in MF, and we maintained status quo after 1Q time.
Great teams have great MF depth, with ball getting ability.
We have lacked that for a while, and a Barlow type would assist us the next 2-3 seasons.

Last edited:
As we all know Wells & Co. pay a lot of attention to our expert opinions here on BF when drafting new players.
Post your videos and bios for anyone you think we might nab or just hope we do.

Please merge with other threads if there is one going.

Haven't looked to deeply myself but i believe Patrick Kerr shaping most likely with our first pick. Other 1st-2nd round Key forwards are Marshall & Battle but i expect both to be gone by our pick.
Highlights below.

Really quick lead, 194cm, good overhead.

Goal kicking looks absolute s**t from what I have seen, would hate another forward that is a good mark but can't kick.

Goal kicking looks absolute s**t from what I have seen, would hate another forward that is a good mark but can't kick.

Is he a razor sharp, write it down before the kick type..no... but I do think its better than what you are saying. Generally I do agree , the best forward are always very good convertors, Battle has a better conversion I think , without knowing the stats on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back