NRL 2017 NRL Finals Series Discussion

Which pairing will be the likely Grand Final match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't that be 2 Queensland teams? Unless you think Melbourne falls in Qld somewhere? Haha

Just a bit of poetic licence.

All the best Queenslanders play for Melbourne!

NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series – Week 3

Friday, September 22, 7.55pm, AAMI Park
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos

Saturday, September 23, 7.40pm, Allianz Stadium
Sydney Roosters v North Queensland Cowboys

This is an unappealing final 4 teams, was really hoping Parra and/or Penrith could get up this weekend. 3 teams I dislike and then the Cowboys who I don't want to win either because of the Sharks/Cowboys game.

I guess I'll go for the Storm just because they're the most deserving and have been the best team all season.

we may not be favoured or liked much but that certainly doesnt bother the ruthless Sydney boys, the mighty Chooks. whether people like it or not the fact is, since 1908 and still here and quite simply no denying Sydney Roosters are old school, as a club we've reached Legendary status. neither team in final 4 got there by mistake or some sort of fluke.. quality teams who've hustled game by game to get this far.

the only side from sydney still alive and a game from the grand final, got a feel we're gonna gear up v cows and go all the way :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The odds are definitely not reflective of the footy we have seen so far. The Cows are great value at $3.40. They are in this game up to their necks against the Roosters!

Last edited:
Hmm, paranoid much?

Or are you on the "Cameron Smith referees the games" conspiracy?

;)

Not paranoid. I don't really have a dog in the fight. But I didn't think there was much doubt that the Storm got the benefit of those early decisions.

And yes, Cam Smith *does* ref the games. But so does Thurston, Gallen, etc etc.

Big weekend with the Cats on Friday and chooks on Saturday.

While the finals are missing the 'popular' Sydney clubs in Parra and Penrith I can't buy the line that there is nothing to like about the finals.

1. The villain. Everyone seemingly hates the Storm aside from their small but loyal supporter base. To most fans they're methodical, a little dull, and somehow captained by Satan (in reality the only reason he gets s**t for 'reffing the game' is because he's the only captain who actually uses common sense and respect when he talks to them). Everyone loves a villain to lose so just having Melbourne should give fans the 'anyone but Storm' angle. I personally have nothing but respect for them. The cap scandal was a black mark - though given the disadvantages they face in paying overs to attract and keep players I wasn't as upset by it as some. But that aside, they continually turn Ok players into stars, I find their method is so precise, it's not boring but interesting, and the class of smith and Cronk as well as the attacking quality of Slater, Vinivalu etc, and the sheer brilliance of Munster makes them a side I love to watch.

2. Brisbane. Ok, these guys do nothing for me. But hey, they're playing Melbourne so the 'anyone but Melbourne' brigade can get onboard.

3. Cowboys. If you cant get behind these blokes at the moment you are having a laugh. They lost a lot of games at the back end of the season but they were never blown off the park and played with 100 per cent ticker all the way. Taumalolo is the best forward in the game and rapidly approaching the top 3-4 I've ever seen. Morgan is playing beautiful footy. They're awesome to watch.

4. Roosters. I understand why people dislike my lads. We buy good players, we have regular stints at or near the top, we have had some complete f***stains play for us. But we also lose a LOT of good players and thanks to uncle nick and how he runs the place, and a very smart coach, we bounce back from any setback almost immediately. Sure we have some c***s but f*** we can play some good football. Our best attacking footy is head and shoulders the best in the comp. pity we can't hold the thing for two sets at a time.

All in all from both an aesthetic point of view and a pantomime/theatre point of view I'd have thought there was quite a bit going for this final four.

Big weekend with the Cats on Friday and chooks on Saturday.

While the finals are missing the 'popular' Sydney clubs in Parra and Penrith I can't buy the line that there is nothing to like about the finals.

1. The villain. Everyone seemingly hates the Storm aside from their small but loyal supporter base. To most fans they're methodical, a little dull, and somehow captained by Satan (in reality the only reason he gets s**t for 'reffing the game' is because he's the only captain who actually uses common sense and respect when he talks to them). Everyone loves a villain to lose so just having Melbourne should give fans the 'anyone but Storm' angle. I personally have nothing but respect for them. The cap scandal was a black mark - though given the disadvantages they face in paying overs to attract and keep players I wasn't as upset by it as some. But that aside, they continually turn Ok players into stars, I find their method is so precise, it's not boring but interesting, and the class of smith and Cronk as well as the attacking quality of Slater, Vinivalu etc, and the sheer brilliance of Munster makes them a side I love to watch.

2. Brisbane. Ok, these guys do nothing for me. But hey, they're playing Melbourne so the 'anyone but Melbourne' brigade can get onboard.

3. Cowboys. If you cant get behind these blokes at the moment you are having a laugh. They lost a lot of games at the back end of the season but they were never blown off the park and played with 100 per cent ticker all the way. Taumalolo is the best forward in the game and rapidly approaching the top 3-4 I've ever seen. Morgan is playing beautiful footy. They're awesome to watch.

4. Roosters. I understand why people dislike my lads. We buy good players, we have regular stints at or near the top, we have had some complete f***stains play for us. But we also lose a LOT of good players and thanks to uncle nick and how he runs the place, and a very smart coach, we bounce back from any setback almost immediately. Sure we have some c***s but f*** we can play some good football. Our best attacking footy is head and shoulders the best in the comp. pity we can't hold the thing for two sets at a time.

All in all from both an aesthetic point of view and a pantomime/theatre point of view I'd have thought there was quite a bit going for this final four.

Good post. My two-penn'orth:

The Storm: I've always been a Storm hatah too. They've played a very structured and efficient game, backed up by awesome defence, and, good as they are, Smith, Cronk and Slater are hard to warm to to the neutral. But... is it just me, or have they changed the way they play considerably this season? Seems to me they are lot more adventurous in attack than they used to be, and offloads seem to be a bigger part of their game now. It does remind me a little of how Castleford have bossed the SL this season on the back of an expansive attacking game (but backed up by solid defence, natch). It does mean I'm finding them harder to hate, though! Plus they have probably the best two wingers in the comp. :)

Brisbane: Again, the meticulously planned Bennett approach seems to have least partially gone out of the window. I've seen some Broncos games where it appeared WB had said before the game, just go out and do whatever the hell you like, lads!

Cowboys: Wot PhatBoy said.

Roosters: See Cowboys above. :) Latrell Mitchell is a joy to watch, and they play some great footy, but opponents know they will always go to sleep at some point in a game.

I will be going for the Chooks due to my brother being a lifelong fan and also a sponsor of the club. If they get in I'll head over to the GF.
In order of preference to win it I have:
Chooks
Storm
Cowboys
Broncos

I just looked and can't find a team in 1908 called the Sydney Roosters ;)

I had a look in AFL/VFL records and couldn't see a team called Sydney Swans or Brisbane Lions.

Back