State of Origin 2017 NSW vs QLD SoO Discussion Thread - QLD win 2-1

Game 3 Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stat today was Dane Gagai has won more games with QLD than he has with Newcastle

Helps when he plays in his actual position. He's an elite winger- he's only above average at best as a centre or fullback

See how Matt Moylan plays over the next 12 months. Could be in the halves, we was there in 2015 Game 3 win for NSW.

Jack Bird would be better in the starting line up at centre. Maybe Hayne coming of the bench.

Would love to see Tom Turbo come into the 17. For Brett Morris next series.

Hopefully Josh Mansour can get a good 12 months under his belt and look at getting his spot back. I thought he played well in 2015 and was in the Australian set up until his injury.

But isn't Knights fans criticising Gagai rather like Warriors fans criticising Shaun Johnson: the rest of us look on and think, Jeez, you'd be nothing without that guy, you can't expect him to pull it out of the fire for you every week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But isn't Knights fans criticising Gagai rather like Warriors fans criticising Shaun Johnson: the rest of us look on and think, Jeez, you'd be nothing without that guy, you can't expect him to pull it out of the fire for you every week?
We are nothing with Gagai.

I'm actually not sad we're losing him to Souths.

Nah that's a cop out, he's had some fantastic games at fullback and centre. He's just incapable of turning up each week during the season.

I stand by my comment. His defence is pretty ordinary (being kind there) and his positioning is average when at centre and fullback. He's absolutely elite with the ball in his hand, but there is a reason why when QLD had openings in the centres they didn't move Gagai in.

I stand by my comment. His defence is pretty ordinary (being kind there) and his positioning is average when at centre and fullback. He's absolutely elite with the ball in his hand, but there is a reason why when QLD had openings in the centres they didn't move Gagai in.
That had more to do with Morgan than Gagai.

That had more to do with Morgan than Gagai.

To a degree, but even Boyd was moved in (game 2) before moving Gagai. I love Dane on the wing, but he'd give me nightmares in the centres, his first contact as a defender is poor. You'd think it would have improved playing for Newcastle as they are defending regularly.

There is no problem being an absolute elite winger- in fact it is a good thing. As a opposition, I'm going to to a lot happier if Gagai is in the centres. He won't play fullback, Inglis will be back.

To a degree, but even Boyd was moved in (game 2) before moving Gagai. I love Dane on the wing, but he'd give me nightmares in the centres, his first contact as a defender is poor. You'd think it would have improved playing for Newcastle as they are defending regularly.

There is no problem being an absolute elite winger- in fact it is a good thing. As a opposition, I'm going to to a lot happier if Gagai is in the centres. He won't play fullback, Inglis will be back.
Well as a Newcastle supporter, I've seen him struggle in most positions in recent years. We've had to play him in the centres otherwise he just doesn't touch the ball enough.

I certainly wouldn't have him as an elite winger - Vunivalu is an elite winger. Think Gagai is the rung below. That's just my opinion though.

Well as a Newcastle supporter, I've seen him struggle in most positions in recent years. We've had to play him in the centres otherwise he just doesn't touch the ball enough.

I certainly wouldn't have him as an elite winger - Vunivalu is an elite winger. Think Gagai is the rung below. That's just my opinion though.

I'd be confident he could get to that elite winger status. Dane's Origin series was as good a series from a winger you could see. That is elite. Now would he do that every series, no, but I recon he would do it more often than playing in the centres.

It will be interesting to see next year though, maybe he's a better centre than I think. Will be good to see how he goes next season.

I'd be confident he could get to that elite winger status. Dane's Origin series was as good a series from a winger you could see. That is elite. Now would he do that every series, no, but I recon he would do it more often than playing in the centres.

It will be interesting to see next year though, maybe he's a better centre than I think. Will be good to see how he goes next season.
I wish him nothing but success at Souths, as long as it's not against us :)

I wish him nothing but success at Souths, as long as it's not against us :)

I'll say this I recon you will come out on top so long as Totau Moga stays fit. Great signing for Newcastle there. As a Brisbane fan I'm more than annoyed we've let him go!

I'll say this I recon you will come out on top so long as Totau Moga stays fit. Great signing for Newcastle there. As a Brisbane fan I'm more than annoyed we've let him go!
I'm actually more excited about Ese'Ese. But agree that Moga is a great get, providing he can stay fit. Got the better of Gagai on the weekend which was bittersweet to see.

I'm actually more excited about Ese'Ese. But agree that Moga is a great get, providing he can stay fit. Got the better of Gagai on the weekend which was bittersweet to see.

Yeah both are good buys, surprised Wayne let go of Ese'Ese but it wouldn't be fair keeping him considering our back row strength. He will play rep footy next year or the year after. Great purchase.

Yeah both are good buys, surprised Wayne let go of Ese'Ese but it wouldn't be fair keeping him considering our back row strength. He will play rep footy next year or the year after. Great purchase.
Wasn't really up to Wayne (thankfully). We just offered more than you could afford which I guess makes sense. We have so much cap room available.

Wasn't really up to Wayne (thankfully). We just offered more than you could afford which I guess makes sense. We have so much cap room available.

You've actually bought very well for 2018. Actually been impressed this season you've been in games for 60 odd minutes with a bit more experience that will go to 70-80 next year

Back