Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don’t mind how we are developing kosi now, rolling through back, forward and ruck key positions.

Only just turned 23 and think he will be a late developer game plan wise, meaning more experience across every position allows him to become a swing player and offer some additional value for the team and an outlet if it’s not working for him in one position.

I’m not sold on two genuine rucks in the side anymore, due to the lack of leg speed it offers so kosi has a unique place potentially in the side. Definitely worth persisting with.

We can’t hold everyone on the list though but it would be a shame to part ways before seeing his 24-26 years.

Only 3cm shorter then hale… but can probably jump twice as high
Agree with you about trialing in different positions. We’ve done it with Jeka, Denver, Serong, and Kosi.

Not always going to work but I like that we are prepared to give players opportunity to find their niche and give them every chance.

VFL Senior Coach Zane Littlejohn assesses the performances of our 15 AFL-listed Hawks from our close win over Richmond.

Jacob Koschitzke (4 goals, 13 disposals, 4 marks)​

"It was great to see Kosi hit the scoreboard with 4.2. He spent a little bit more time forward-ruck which is great. When he is able to get around the ground and sink his teeth into the contest at centre bounce and stoppages, I personally that helps when he goes forward as it feels like he's been in the contest for longer. He was able to get looks when he went forward, he finished with four goals which was great. But his time spent up the ground and in the ruck was great for his development and growth too.

I thought Jacob Koschitzke rediscovered himself when we won against St Kilda and Brisbane, but then Sam took him out of the side for some reason. Then he comes back into the side last week. I wasn't expecting much from him. But he brought the pressure and marking that have let him down throughout his career and performed well in a semi-rucking role.

Today, I thought he was quiet in the first half. But then it switched again for him in the third quarter. He could see Lewis was finding it hard to get involved, so he stood up and started taking some crucial marks. He converted a goal in the third quarter. But I was particularly impressed by his response in the last quarter, when the Bulldogs fought back. He was immense in the last several minutes in securing us the victory. That mark he took on the boundary line in our forward 50 was crucial. Yes, he didn't kick a goal from it, but if he hadn't taken that mark, the Bulldogs might well have won. There was also a moment in the last minute where he didn't mark the ball, but he held his own to contain the ball and keep it in our half of the field.

Overall, the last two weeks have been career-saving for him. He has shown he can perform and still play a role in our future, even if it's not how we envisioned he would. I would be shocked if we didn't keep him and give him another contract. Well done, Jacob. Close out the season with a good two final rounds, and you will undoubtedly still find yourself at Waverley in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I
Will Lewis, Kosi and Ryan work?

If not, he certainly made it harder for Ryan to take his spot.
Will Lewis, Kosi and Ryan work?

If not, he certainly made it harder for Ryan to take his spot.
Well it worked against the Pies. Kosi has taken Meek's spot in any case as back up forward/ruck so one would think Ryan simply replaces RGB next game. But both Ryan and Kosi may be fighting long term against Rama to keep their place.

While Kosi lacks for finesse he makes up for it by being a wrecking ball. It may offer a different dynamic to compliment the other more skilled tall options we have. Today's game certainly didn't do his future any harm.

This was his most influential game I reckon. He's shown signs in the last half of the year that he's going to make it, and impacted this week's game as much as any forward on the ground.

Was definitely a marking target for us when we had none, and he got better the longer the game went on.

He's a piece of the puzzle if he can do this consistently. He's a big, angry, strong guy who kick goals and get up the ground and help out in the ruck when required. They don't exactly grow on trees.

Is there such a thing as too many tall marking fowards?
Ryan FF
Lewis CHF
Kosi Ruck foward.
Absolutely they can work, we've looked better the last two weeks with 3 of them.

The question next week is Ryan or DGB.

I thought DGB competed well but Ryan excites me more as a forward option.

Absolutely they can work, we've looked better the last two weeks with 3 of them.

DGB played well. Still needs work on his goal kicking but he gets to the ball as well as Lewis.

I like the idea of having tall options. We still need someone to replace Breust.

Agree with everything you said. I think its the most dangerous out fwd line has looked. Will be even better once they string some games together because you still see they lead into the same areas some times.

Tough to drop DGB after the way he played, but rough on Ryan to not bring him back after his last performance.. great problem to have.

When just about everyone else was falling all over themselves to write him off, I’ve harboured a quiet feeling about him, a feeling that although he struggled a little early on, he’s still going to come through and be a strong contributor.

Two good games does not a career maketh, but I think he’s slowly but surely turning the corner.

When just about everyone else was falling all over themselves to write him off, I’ve harboured a quiet feeling about him, a feeling that although he struggled a little early on, he’s still going to come through and be a strong contributor.

Two good games does not a career maketh, but I think he’s slowly but surely turning the corner.

I was in the same boat Roddy - As soon as he was switched to the fwd line he showed enough to suggest there was something to work with. To me, he has always reminded me a bit of Trent Croad - elite athleticism but struggled a bit with the footy nous bit. We all saw what type of player Croad went on to be before his career was cruelly ended by that foot injury. Kozi is 6 cm taller than Croad, matches his athleticism and is starting to read the ball alot better. If clubs are enquiring, he is an second round pick every day of the week. Hope that doesn't happen though, love seeing him in the brown and gold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back