Game Day 2018 Grand Final discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

3 x Clarko (Hawthorn), 3 x ex-Clarko Assistants, 3 x Clarko (Hawthorn), 3 x ex-Clarko Assistants, 3 x Mitchell (Hawthorn), 3 x ex-Mitchell Assistants..................

Nah. They’re blaming Woody for the block. Don’t worry about the s**t kick from Adams, who is just a woeful kick of the footy in general.

Spot on, Adams kicking was great all day for once... until that moment Stephenson was never getting to it, at best may have been able to body spoil Yeo but he probably would have marked it anyway against a light framed Stevo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pies can't blame the umpiring. They were beaten three times by WCE this year. They were five goals up and still managed to lose.

Everyone focusing on Maynard block in isolation has a case to argue it wasn’t a block, but it’s the context of what they were paying all game suggests Maynard was stiff but late in grand finals you expect the whistle to be put away and credit to eagles for finding another gear late in game. That McGovern mark was huge.

Probably a more critical moment that won’t get too much mention; on the train on the way home, a couple of pies supporters were lamenting about the centre bounce free against Grundy after pies 2nd goal in 30 seconds early in the last. The bounce of the ball veered towards Grundy meaning he was stuck under the flight and stiff armed the charging lycett to protect his space and apparently that’s a free. Saw a clip this morning and was pretty unlucky. the free led to inside 50 and good mark and goal to vardy and killed the pies early surge and scoreboard pressure on eagles.

To me that summed up our day, those little bounces and moments just didn’t fall the Pies way and it was probably destined to be an eagles flag looking back on it and I can sleep better knowing that sometimes you do need luck (or avoid bad luck)

both teams equally been a deserved winner and there could only be one and that takes away any feeling of bitterness despite the close loss. Plus I’m a little happier knowing there is no tigers 3 peat next year

Congrats eagles (and the ABC’s)

Everyone focusing on Maynard block in isolation has a case to argue it wasn’t a block, but it’s the context of what they were paying all game suggests Maynard was stiff but late in grand finals you expect the whistle to be put away and credit to eagles for finding another gear late in game. That McGovern mark was huge.

Probably a more critical moment that won’t get too much mention; on the train on the way home, a couple of pies supporters were lamenting about the centre bounce free against Grundy after pies 2nd goal in 30 seconds early in the last. The bounce of the ball veered towards Grundy meaning he was stuck under the flight and stiff armed the charging lycett to protect his space and apparently that’s a free. Saw a clip this morning and was pretty unlucky. the free led to inside 50 and good mark and goal to vardy and killed the pies early surge and scoreboard pressure on eagles.

To me that summed up our day, those little bounces and moments just didn’t fall the Pies way and it was probably destined to be an eagles flag looking back on it and I can sleep better knowing that sometimes you do need luck (or avoid bad luck)

both teams equally been a deserved winner and there could only be one and that takes away any feeling of bitterness despite the close loss. Plus I’m a little happier knowing there is no tigers 3 peat next year

None of this matters, mate.
When you lose a Grand Final there are no excuses, the game is gone and the season is finished.

And Collingwood tends to lose more than others so get used to it!

None of this matters, mate.
When you lose a Grand Final there are no excuses, the game is gone and the season is finished.

And Collingwood tends to lose more than others so get used to it!

Need to occasionally remind some around here of that.

“That spud falling over in the goal square” and “but for poor kicking” still gets trotted out on here six years later

Need to occasionally remind some around here of that.

“That spud falling over in the goal square” and “but for poor kicking” still gets trotted out on here six years later

That fall happened right in front of me - you’ll forgive me if that’s some mental scarring I can’t move past.

There is always a big of luck involved in close matches like that. If it consoles you at all, the 2012 loss hardened the hawks. No matter how many flags we won, the players kept talking about 2012. Similar happened at Geelong. If your group is good enough they will be back.

That fall happened right in front of me - you’ll forgive me if that’s some mental scarring I can’t move past.

The only gf I’ve managed to get to - the scars are deep and the point I was trying abysmally to get across. Pies posters are grieving and like us will look for moments and that’s okay and some sympathy won’t go astray

Did you know he is from Texas in the USA? Not sure if it's been mentioned before. And by some strange coincidence, his family is also from Texas in the USA. :eek:
Seeing all the fans get a USA flag on their jumpers and hats and stuff was insane. He's one player. Who's played one outstanding game.

Seeing all the fans get a USA flag on their jumpers and hats and stuff was insane. He's one player. Who's played one outstanding game.

And the chanting "USA! .... USA!". There I was thinking it was a match between Collingwood and the Eagles. Kept expecting LeBron James to run onto the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a neutral POV, I thought Collingwood had the rub of the green and the bounce of the ball going their way for the majority of the game FWIW. That’s not to rub salt into the wound, just to give you a neutral perspective.

It was a 6 goal turnaround from quarter time, that’s including some very gettable misses, two posters in the last quarter and Darling dropping a pud in the goal square. Collingwood dominated the first, five straight, but from that point on West Coast were probably an 8 or 9 goal better team.

I thought the worst decision of the day was the Jeremy Howe non holding the ball.

Edit - worst decision of the day was Collingwood supporters chanting “USA, USA...”, shocking decision. Howe HTB the second worst.

I preface my comments by declaring I had no preference as to who won the game yesterday. My best mate is a Collingwood supporter so I would have been pleased for him if they won. However, I have to admit, the look on Eddie's face when it was clear the pies were going down was priceless. Last thing I needed was a 30 minute interview with Eddie making the flag all about him. :)

Incredible game. I’m looking forward to re watching tonight and forming a view on where it rates - but it would have to be right up there as one of the all time great grand finals. Just what the game needed after a rotten season and finals series and even more so given West Coast won - much prefer sides copy their style than the Pies’ style (which is itself a copy of Richmond).

I thought the Eagles just blew it early. Awful mistakes and Collingwood punished them by taking every half chance - almost every goal the pies scored in first term was a cracker.

The eagles then had the better of the next two quarters to work themselves right back into the game. Pies looked like one brilliant minute to start the 4th might be enough, but Eagles just kept coming and blew chance after chance before taking the hardest one all quarter.

Remarkable game punctuated with some real iconic moments. That Pies supporters even have a borderline umpiring decision to whinge about makes all the more enjoyable (while technically there, paying it in that context would have been an outrage. Equally could have pinged Howe for holding the ball near the end but didn’t. The umps did the right thing late - put the whistle away but for the most obvious infringements)

There is always a big of luck involved in close matches like that. If it consoles you at all, the 2012 loss hardened the hawks. No matter how many flags we won, the players kept talking about 2012. Similar happened at Geelong. If your group is good enough they will be back.

Thanks, that helps, your constructive reply is well received ;)

From a neutral POV, I thought Collingwood had the rub of the green and the bounce of the ball going their way for the majority of the game FWIW. That’s not to rub salt into the wound, just to give you a neutral perspective.

It was a 6 goal turnaround from quarter time, that’s including some very gettable misses, two posters in the last quarter and Darling dropping a pud in the goal square. Collingwood dominated the first, five straight, but from that point on West Coast were probably an 8 or 9 goal better team.

I thought the worst decision of the day was the Jeremy Howe non holding the ball.

Edit - worst decision of the day was Collingwood supporters chanting “USA, USA...”, shocking decision. Howe HTB the second worst.

Funny how decisions polarise people. That Jeremy Howe non free was a clear push in the back letter of the law and I think the umpire got a little whistle shy and didn’t want to make it worse by paying it the other way; it had to be one or the other, not a ball up. His excuse saying the eagles player dragged it in was proof enough he was finding a justification of a ball up.

But when you’re a closet Collingwood hater (or any oppo hater) you only notice the decisions that your honorary team didn’t get their way so it becomes a completely subjective argument that no one will ever totally agree with.

I don’t understand the Eddie stuff - I see him in the same mould as JK. Two guys who are passionate about their clubs and constantly at odds with the AFL.

I suppose if it had been us, these same gleeful comments about JK would be scattered across Social media as well

Yeah, that's what they said about the Pies and Eagles last year

Collingwood and West Coast didn’t score 17 points in a game in 2017. West Coast also made the finals and Collingwood won 9 games. Lions won 5 this year. They’ll improve without doubt - but a flag is beyond them in 2019.

I don’t understand the Eddie stuff - I see him in the same mould as JK. Two guys who are passionate about their clubs and constantly at odds with the AFL.

I suppose if it had been us, these same gleeful comments about JK would be scattered across Social media as well

Yes, I am of similar opinion to you. However Eddie is very over exposed here in Melbourne and that can get very annoying at times. Best not let him have a premiership ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back