List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you know, do you watch their games when he's played !
As an avid footy watcher, he definitely is overrated. This whole Joe being a superstar of the comp thing has literally come out of nowhere. Before his half decent season a couple of year back he was getting absolutely rinsed even by his own fans for his lack of living up to expectation, inconsistency and just being a spud in general football terms and ability. He's ability is to basically take marks thanks to how long he is. His kicking at goal is horrendous, has no physical strength in general play, and is an absolute prune once the ball hits the deck. If anything, him being out of action is what has kept his value up, and even some how magically raised him to A grade status.

In saying that, am i happy to take a tall marking forward/ pinch hit ruckman who can't really do anything else. Yeah sure, he'll kick goals. But absolutely not worth a first round pick let alone two.

As an avid footy watcher, he definitely is overrated. This whole Joe being a superstar of the comp thing has literally come out of nowhere. Before his half decent season a couple of year back he was getting absolutely rinsed even by his own fans for his lack of living up to expectation, inconsistency and just being a spud in general football terms and ability. He's ability is to basically take marks thanks to how long he is. His kicking at goal is horrendous, has no physical strength in general play, and is an absolute prune once the ball hits the deck. If anything, him being out of action is what has kept his value up, and even some how magically raised him to A grade status.

In saying that, am i happy to take a tall marking forward/ pinch hit ruckman who can't really do anything else. Yeah sure, he'll kick goals. But absolutely not worth a first round pick let alone two.

Some good points. BUT too harsh! He is a quality player when fit. (more razzle dazzle than consistency)

Sydney Swans marketing department need to implement a long term plan to educate and consolidate NSW fans and gradually sell them on the idea/attitude that an individual absolute superstar goal kicking Forward (excitement), is not the be all and end all to quality football, in order for such groupies to fanatically attend and buy memberships.
(Yes KPF will always be critically important in Football - but huge goal tallies becoming somewhat less so)

Essendon club and fans are living in the past 80/90's. They need the name . It is the only reason a player who has played 11 games in 2 seasons, is even touted as being what they think he is worth. Joe Daniher is far removed from his tough rugged uncles & dad and the game style they played.
The over the top, huge weight of expectation and over assessment by the delusional obsessive druggies, is likely the (or a major) reason he wants out.

I would prefer to see Sinkers forward and Papley working off him then risk another injured player (with potential). Didn’t we learn enough watching Hanners?
Daniher doesn't fix our ruck issue or really anything. We're just going after him because he wants to be a Swan and is a bloody good player.

Sinclair in the forwards with Knoll or Naismith as the primary ruck goes a lot further. Blakey can still play up the ground and McCartin can still play in defence (but I feel his future is FF).

I can't believe we are still at this poker game. The stake has been upped so much it's time to fold our cards and move to the next game.

We've got better things to do the next few days, like looking at who's being pushed out at the Pies.

Some good points. BUT too harsh! He is a quality player when fit. (more razzle dazzle than consistency)

Sydney Swans marketing department need to implement a long term plan to educate and consolidate NSW fans and gradually sell them on the idea/attitude that an individual absolute superstar goal kicking Forward (excitement), is not the be all and end all to quality football, in order for such groupies to fanatically attend and buy memberships.
(Yes KPF will always be critically important in Football - but huge goal tallies becoming somewhat less so)

Essendon club and fans are living in the past 80/90's. They need the name . It is the only reason a player who has played 11 games in 2 seasons, is even touted as being what they think he is worth. Joe Daniher is far removed from his tough rugged uncles & dad and the game style they played.
The over the top, huge weight of expectation and over assessment by the delusional obsessive druggies, is likely the (or a major) reason he wants out.
Look he might only be able to do certain things, but he does do them well hence why he draws attention. But that's about it. Living in melbourne, I've talked about this situation with many essendon supporter mates and literally every one of them said 'you can have him'. Who would ever say that about a superstar player? Which AFL superstar has ever been a whipping boy? The only time someone becomes a whipping boy is when fans don't appreciate a players actual contribution and don't value them relative to that contribution, rather they value them more for some reason and expect more in return. No one ever gets on Buddy's back after a bad game because of the respect he's earnt and the presence he has. Any essendon fan who is demanding everything is only doing so because of their whole inferiority complex.

At the end of the day Joe Daniher is a rich mans Sam Reid. Does some good things but still gets whipped, but still not good enough to not get whipped. And that doesn't mean the players not good or isn't playing his role, it's the fact that you're rating the player more than he's worth and expecting a certain product in return. Bit like Tippet aswell, he performed as the best ruck forward in the league for us but because of what we valued him at, we as fans expected some superhuman football. You've hit the nail on the head, he's more razzle than dazzle. Without his surname, he'd be a 2nd rounder at best.

Last edited:
I would unpopular opinion I know would give up florent and 9 , yes mick that is if we get 9 for papley

Given midfield is an area of weakness for us, no way would I give up Florent.

Give them McLean if they want a forward.

I would unpopular opinion I know would give up florent and 9 , yes mick that is if we get 9 for papley

The only way I would even consider florent, like for more than 5 seconds, would be if they considered him to be a serious flight risk at the end of his next contract.

Given he re-signed with a year left on his deal, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.

Otherwise, retaining him for our paper thin midfield outweighs any need for Daniher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in melbourne, I've talked about this situation with many essendon supporter mates and literally every one of them said 'you can have him'. Who would ever say that about a superstar player?

. You've hit the nail on the head, he's more razzle than dazzle. Without his surname, he'd be a 2nd rounder at best.

I noted the added bit.
I was going to ask you whether your mates were making the statement based on the touted trade price?

I join the consensus that maybe if Swans get 9, that might be ok, but throwing away 2 top tens would be utter stupidity at this point.
Poor Joe is in for a nightmare next year if a sensible trade doesn't go through.
Comments like " we built our team around him" watch out for mental illness next year.

Brisbane small forward Lewis Taylor is set to sign at Sydney for three years.

If so, I like it. Even if Papley leaves, buying low (presumably - I can't imagine we'll have to give up much for him) on a talented player who has been starved of opportunities at his current spot is what I'm into and what we've been very good at. Perfect for the age range we need too.

He doesn't play like Papley very much imo, so I don't think it's really a replacement, but I think he'll bring value on the wing or at HF.

I noted the added bit.
I was going to ask you whether your mates were making the statement based on the touted trade price?

I join the consensus that maybe if Swans get 9, that might be ok, but throwing away 2 top tens would be utter stupidity at this point.
Poor Joe is in for a nightmare next year if a sensible trade doesn't go through.
Comments like " we built our team around him" watch out for mental illness next year.
No it wasn't even based on our offer. They literally couldn't care less if they have him or not.

Exactly, that's why you need to value a player based on what they bring, not what you expect them to bring. Otherwise you enter sam reid and rohan territory and push players out despite being valuable assets.

Taylor can’t find the ball

Hopefully improves

He came into the league averaging 17 touches a game and has been pretty consistent with that since. Seems like he can find the ball OK.

Seems to be that his weaknesses are that he hasn't added strings to his bow and isn't a tackler.

Looking forward to the Taylor pickup. Feel he's more of a midfielder than forward
He's a downgrade on papley, but at least like for like in terms of style. We need more of them tho. Surprised we wouldn't be in for someone like butler, or why we didn't make a move for an out of favour sam lloyd or shai bolton last year.

Look he might only be able to do certain things, but he does do them well hence why he draws attention. But that's about it. Living in melbourne, I've talked about this situation with many essendon supporter mates and literally every one of them said 'you can have him'. Who would ever say that about a superstar player? Which AFL superstar has ever been a whipping boy? The only time someone becomes a whipping boy is when fans don't appreciate a players actual contribution and don't value them relative to that contribution, rather they value them more for some reason and expect more in return. No one ever gets on Buddy's back after a bad game because of the respect he's earnt and the presence he has. Any essendon fan who is demanding everything is only doing so because of their whole inferiority complex.

At the end of the day Joe Daniher is a rich mans Sam Reid. Does some good things but still gets whipped, but still not good enough to not get whipped. And that doesn't mean the players not good or isn't playing his role, it's the fact that you're rating the player more than he's worth and expecting a certain product in return. Bit like Tippet aswell, he performed as the best ruck forward in the league for us but because of what we valued him at, we as fans expected some superhuman football. You've hit the nail on the head, he's more razzle than dazzle. Without his surname, he'd be a 2nd rounder at best.

I agree

I think if he was Joe Hughes he wouldn’t be as hyped

I think he is more talented than you seem too? But I agree it’s more promise

If he remains the same (just stays fit) he isn’t a champion by any stretch

I was excited by the prospect of getting him as a pint cheap for a pick

2 picks I feel I’d do but the more I consider it , it’s probably just to get the *EN trade done

To me this is a win win

Daniher fresh start
Sydney take a punt on potential
Essendon lose salary and injured player who hasn’t set world on fire

They are being ridiculous though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back