List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amerty , Knoll amd Clarke will not make it

Depends on your definitions of “make it” I suppose. Clarke has played 54 games by age 22 so it could be argued he has made it (may or may not add a lot more games to that).

I agree on Amartey (as I don’t think he has demonstrated the competitiveness required of a tall at AFL level) however and I am almost in agreement with Knoll (at this stage) but leaving it a little open given he is still relatively new to the game and has not had an AFL preseason.

Clarke played some good to very good games for us this year. A couple of poor ones no doubt, but he has been a good find IMO. Knows how to link up through the mids - something JPK, Hewett, Parker, even Heeney aren't that strong on IMO. He and Rowbottom have improved that area of our game.

He doesn't deserve the hate he gets on here. Hope Clarke can improve on his weaknesses and continue to be an option for us. Still young, I think he will.
Will be interesting if he stays in the team with whoever pick 5 is. I can certainly see Heeney spending more time up forward if we get a mid with some pace and link up play.

Clarke played some good to very good games for us this year. A couple of poor ones no doubt, but he has been a good find IMO. Knows how to link up through the mids - something JPK, Hewett, Parker, even Heeney aren't that strong on IMO. He and Rowbottom have improved that area of our game.

He doesn't deserve the hate he gets on here. Hope Clarke can improve on his weaknesses and continue to be an option for us. Still young, I think he will.
Will be interesting if he stays in the team with whoever pick 5 is. I can certainly see Heeney spending more time up forward if we get a mid with some pace and link up play.
his game against West Coast when we had no-one left on the bench - he didn't come off for the last 2 quarters! Clarke has a massive tank and can play a role

Lachlan Potter please. Rookie him at worst.

If people thought Jones was aggressive/attacking and clanger prone you haven't seen anything yet.

Any speed out of defence will be a welcome sight.

Agree

Clarke went backwards from his north days, helped us get pick 5 i guess but suspect he will get games due to depth issues

the other two seem unlikely.

I agree.

I found the order of our resignings at the end of this season strange. Players I would have thought were getting a contract are yet to get one. Players I wouldn't have thought would be getting one have done. We have kept a whole bunch of players on the Rookie List for a very long time over the last few years, where probably we should have been a bit more ruthless churning through them.

There are a lot of names on the "off contract 2020" list that are playing for their careers next year - none of Amartey, Bell, Clarke, Fox, Foot, Knoll, Melican, Ling, Reynolds, Ronke, Stoddart and Thurlow are established best 28 players and unless they have managed to achieve that by the end of the year I struggle to justify keeping any of them on the list.

Each of those players are different. Amartey and Bell, for instance, have shown year on year improvement. What do you want from a rookie? They’re not all Papley.

Clarke and Fox are pretty good depth. Fox is versatile and Clarke is a worker. Foot had an excellent first year I thought. Ling would want to be injury free.

Melican and Ronke had poor years. Another would be grim for them.

Knoll is a project in a time where the ruck rules have changed. He’s been at the club half a season FFS.

Im not sure Stoddart will make it and I also have my doubts about Thurlow. Reynolds was injured.

Having watched a lot of NEAFL this year I dont see Amartey or Bell making it and would have delisted both.

For me Amartey isnt competitive enough when forward, seems lost in Defense and is too small to play in the ruck.

Bell looks very smooth with the ball and has some speed but isnt a jet. At AFL level his only place is on the wing but doesnt have the pace, ball skills or the ability to find heaps of it to be successful there.

I am fine with Knoll getting another year and think Hirst should too. Both deserve the opportunity to get some AFL level coaching and conditioning before being judged.

Would also re-sign Pink and Maibaum as while I havent written off Melican completely I think he is a pretty big risk going forward.

Had a look at a few draftee highlights (realise they are only snippets).

I really liked the look of Dylan Stephens in particular. Liked what I saw of Ash. Green looks an absolute bull. Didn’t mind Serong either.

Young has a great kick but I didn’t see him on the run much (compared to Ash who seemed to get into space to run a lot in the highlights).

Flanders seemed to miss almost every target by foot, only highlights but I wasn’t that impressed.

Couldn’t find anything on Kemp.

Only based on the highlights and I think he might be a slight reach, but I’d be tempted to go Stephens based on what I saw.

Can you smell what’s cooking
Of course they can.. They tried to poach Heeney, Mills, Florent, McCartin, Blakey!! oh wait,, that was essendon. Carlton simply tried to poach Papley.
If breakfast is smelling that good, wait till the main course haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each of those players are different.

Certainly. But that they haven't established themselves in the 28 is a fact. If you can't do that, you don't last too long in the AFL system. Rookie List players are lucky to get one year, let alone two. We have some that have had three. That is borrowed time.

Amartey and Bell, for instance, have shown year on year improvement. What do you want from a rookie? They’re not all Papley.

Enough improvement, though? Not all rookies will be Papley, but when you have been on the list for two years already you need to start showing indications you have what it takes to contribute at AFL level or you need to make space for the next rookie, who may be a Papley.

Clarke and Fox are pretty good depth. Fox is versatile and Clarke is a worker.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with either being on the list right now. In the case of Clarke I think he can actually become a long term role player in the midfield.

Foot had an excellent first year I thought.

I think "excellent" is pushing it. An excellent first year for a draftee is getting in to the AFL team or at the very least being in the discussion for it. Foot wasn't looking close to that.

Ling would want to be injury free.

He would want it, it has to happen this year. He has already missed two seasons, we can't wait forever.

Melican and Ronke had poor years. Another would be grim for them.

Agree, in both cases you would hope 2019 was a blip and their 2018 form can be refound. If that is so, then there is definitely long term futures for them.

Knoll is a project in a time where the ruck rules have changed. He’s been at the club half a season FFS.

Yes, worth persisting with for another season, but he still would need to show improvement this year to get another year on the list. He is already 26 years old, pretty old for a development prospect.

Im not sure Stoddart will make it and I also have my doubts about Thurlow.

Both are make or break this year, in my opinion. Thurlow more so, given his age.

Reynolds was injured.

Which is rough on him, but never the less puts him a year already on the list with nothing to show for it.

Had a look at a few draftee highlights (realise they are only snippets).

I really liked the look of Dylan Stephens in particular. Liked what I saw of Ash. Green looks an absolute bull. Didn’t mind Serong either.

Young has a great kick but I didn’t see him on the run much (compared to Ash who seemed to get into space to run a lot in the highlights).

Flanders seemed to miss almost every target by foot, only highlights but I wasn’t that impressed.

Couldn’t find anything on Kemp.

Only based on the highlights and I think he might be a slight reach, but I’d be tempted to go Stephens based on what I saw.

Not sure how well Stephens will translate to AFL but has done well in SANFL seniors which is a big plus. Championships were meh and reckon he has a lower ceiling. Thinking Isaac Smith level which you would take.

Flanders has been building since champs and Serong has kept on his form. Would not be unimpressed with selecting either.

Ash and Young... do not feel we should go for them. HBF at the moment, nothing wrong with that, just feel we could do better with the pick we have.

Kemp would be hard to find highlights, bar last two games of chamos. Was put into middle and was clutch. Played mostly in chb due to lack of talls in the side which is not natural position. Highest ceiling if he gets it right IMO

Hey guys, I'm OS atm with very limited access to Wi-Fi (and I'm too cheap to purchase) so I haven't been able to keep up with the comings and goings.
From the little I've had time to read, I gather trade period went something like;
Got - Lewis Taylor
Lost - Zac Jones
No change - Papley and Daniher.
Is that it or have I missed something?

Hey guys, I'm OS atm with very limited access to Wi-Fi (and I'm too cheap to purchase) so I haven't been able to keep up with the comings and goings.
From the little I've had time to read, I gather trade period went something like;
Got - Lewis Taylor
Lost - Zac Jones
This is correct. No further news on delistings either unfortunately

Got - Lewis Taylor
Lost - Zac Jones
Darcy Cameron traded to Magpies

Remember Keays showing promise earlier in his career too.

Not the worst to pick up a dfa of bennell, Keays, walker, robertson or Masten.

See if tigers delist anyone who may push into 22-28 of list for depth

Keays had quite a good year in the NEAFL so I'd definitely want us to look at him. Wonder if there's any benefit in bringing in two players from the same club? eg. Kennedy/McGlynn

Some had mentioned Mitch Hibberd earlier in the year so I watched Williamstown's prelim and the VFL granny with an eye on him but wasn't sold. Reckon the Blooze missed a trick not getting Butler.

With the futures of Pink and Maibaum still up in the air, would we look at anyone like Kaiden Brand or Fletcher Roberts? I haven't seen enough of them to have an opinion. Michael Hartley was mentioned recently and I've been keeping an eye on him for a while - believe he is still yet to re-sign or be delisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back