List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm just going to assume you like many others ignored Rose's first give games where he looked comfortable at the level. Also comparing Rose who played forward when the ball didn't go down there to Rowbottom who played on the wing is not a fair comparison when you're talking about their capacity to get involved. Rowbottom had 10 touches on the wing, you're acting like he had 15-20. 2.5 touches a quarter. And we hardly got whooped by GWS. We were right in it until the end of the third term.

Done arguing it, don't know where this board's attitude towards Rose stems from.

From his last three games that’s where it stems from! You think we’ve ignored his first five games, but I think you’ve ignored his last three which were pure and utter crap.

From his last three games that’s where it stems from! You think we’ve ignored his first five games, but I think you’ve ignored his last three which were pure and utter crap.
If we dropped Rowbottom after his first game and he came back and did SFA we could say similar lol. Again 13 and 10 touches playing on a wing are hardly great numbers. But they backed him in. Rose hasn't had the same chance since 2016 (when he actually made the most of it). I'll reserve judgment until we give Rose a fair crack at it again, and if we don't, re-signing him was a huge waste.

If we dropped Rowbottom after his first game and he came back and did SFA we could say similar lol. Again 13 and 10 touches playing on a wing are hardly great numbers. But they backed him in. Rose hasn't had the same chance since 2016 (when he actually made the most of it). I'll reserve judgment until we give Rose a fair crack at it again, and if we don't, re-signing him was a huge waste.

Except Rowbottom didn’t play on a wing. He played inside 50 and then worked up the ground to win his own footy when he wasn’t getting involved. Was he a star, no, but he didn’t just stay in the forward pocket and be a passenger like Rose has done in his last few chances. He also didn’t look hopelessly inept when he did have the ball, like Rose has also done in his last few games.

FWIW I agree that re-signing Rose was a waste. But playing him instead of others who are more fitting for selection would be an even greater waste IMO.

Pozzie counts and comparisons are pretty meaningless (C88 is in the naughty corner for suddenly becoming a stat head).

Besides they are different sorts of players. Don't see them vying for a spot. Delighted RowyaBoat is playing. Should not have been dropped in the first place.

Pozzie counts and comparisons are pretty meaningless (C88 is in the naughty corner for suddenly becoming a stat head).
Besides they are different sorts of players. Don't see them vying for a spot. Delighted RowyaBoat is playing. Should not have been dropped in the first place.

Let me out!

I always said the only stats that mean anything are disposals, tackles and goals!

Except Rowbottom didn’t play on a wing. He played inside 50 and then worked up the ground to win his own footy when he wasn’t getting involved. Was he a star, no, but he didn’t just stay in the forward pocket and be a passenger like Rose has done in his last few chances. He also didn’t look hopelessly inept when he did have the ball, like Rose has also done in his last few games.

FWIW I agree that re-signing Rose was a waste. But playing him instead of others who are more fitting for selection would be an even greater waste IMO.
Again, hardly fair to judge him based off him being brought in one match at a time. One (maybe two iirc) of those three matches he was a late in. Tom McCartin's first match last year wasn't great. Do you think we should have dropped him after one poor performance? I simply think it's more reasonable to look at how he performed when he was actually given an extended run in the side. Hardly fair to say somebody's not up to it when they're given one match in the AFL per year.

You thought re-signing him at the time was a mistake though. The board clearly sees something in him or they wouldn't have given him another contract. We should have brought him in after his huge performance at the start of the year. It was the perfect time to try him out. He was confident and filled a need. Instead we went McInerny and gave Ronke another crack. Bizarre stuff all-round.

Again, hardly fair to judge him based off him being brought in one match at a time. One (maybe two iirc) of those three matches he was a late in. Tom McCartin's first match last year wasn't great. Do you think we should have dropped him after one poor performance? I simply think it's more reasonable to look at how he performed when he was actually given an extended run in the side. Hardly fair to say somebody's not up to it when they're given one match in the AFL per year.

You thought re-signing him at the time was a mistake though. The board clearly sees something in him or they wouldn't have given him another contract. We should have brought him in after his huge performance at the start of the year. It was the perfect time to try him out. He was confident and filled a need. Instead we went McInerny and gave Ronke another crack. Bizarre stuff all-round.

I agree that he warranted selection that week. He was BOG, with no Hayward in the senior team. That was the week. Apart from then I think he’s been overtaken by a few, while others have claimed their spots in the senior team. So again I ask, where does his spot come from? You clearly think Rowbottom’s, I clearly think ‘nowhere’. We may have to agree to disagree.

I agree that he warranted selection that week. He was BOG, with no Hayward in the senior team. That was the week. Apart from then I think he’s been overtaken by a few, while others have claimed their spots in the senior team. So again I ask, where does his spot come from? You clearly think Rowbottom’s, I clearly think ‘nowhere’. We may have to agree to disagree.
I said earlier I'd have him in for Heeney right now because I think Heeney needs a rest. I would also personally have him in over Rowbottom because he's more suited to the role Rowbottom should be playing. I'd have Rose in playing the role Ronke played last year.

I said earlier I'd have him in for Heeney right now because I think Heeney needs a rest. I would also personally have him in over Rowbottom because he's more suited to the role Rowbottom should be playing. I'd have Rose in playing the role Ronke played last year.

To each their own

Id say ben ronke is the most selfish player on our list by a long way.

Id say ben ronke is the most selfish player on our list by a long way.

Of late he has had some selfish moments. But players lacking confidence generally do start playing more selfish footy, trying to over-compensate to prove themselves. I know this because this was exactly how I played myself. No confidence in my abilities, and struggling to get involved. And so every time I did get the ball, it felt like a rare opportunity to show what I could do. And I’d usually just end up biting off more than I could chew and looking like an even bigger idiot than if I’d just gone the safe and simple choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Rose did deserve a decent crack (IMO he had it, he blew it, and should've been delisted end of last year), where does he fit in this team? Where does this spot that he is apparently deserving of so miraculously come from? There are blokes in the NEAFL who have been better (COR, Fox, Rowbottom - all of whom are getting their chances this weekend.) Clarke may not have been better but he is a toiler, which Rose is not, so you can't begrudge him getting chances either. Ronke is struggling atm but he certainly took his chances at senior level more than Rose did. In the seniors we've got a plethora of young, talented forwards/mids (Blakey, Dawson, Papley, Heeney, Hewett, Florent, Hayward and McCartin.) And to make matters worse for Rose, we now have Menzel added into the frame. PLUS injured veterans like Buddy, McVeigh etc who are technically best 22 as well.

Players I would have as below Rose in terms of performance or priority would be Foot, McInerney, Cameron, Ling, Maibaum, Stoddart, Tucker, Reynolds, Amartey, Bell, McLean, Wicks and Pink. On a list of 46 players, that has Rose at about player 32-33 on the list. So why it's considered an injustice or a shock that he's not being picked is beyond me.

He's performed at a significantly higher level for a longer time than Rowbottom at NEAFL level

Unfortunately we don't have 23 (Our second round) , it is with west coast as part of last draft trade. We have their third round pick

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trade was still worth it (Early days) as it got us Rowbottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back