List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what is happening on the List Management side of the Club.

Contracts expire for thirteen players on the main list.

Retirements

Reg, Smith, McVeigh, Jack. Together with Tippett's departure, their retirements will free up a lot of cash - probably close to $2M.

Priority re-signings

Of the remaining nine, I reckon there are three priority re-signings.

As each week goes by it is clear Dawson is a potential A grade player. He is now in our Bests most weeks and is probably a Top Ten player. There is no doubt other Clubs will be inquiring and preparing offers. The SA Clubs will be interested for starters. No doubt the bloke has been on minimal chips and will get a decent payday whether with us or elsewhere. I will be furious if we lose him. IMO the Club has undervalued him and has only just twigged he is a fine player.

Jones is obviously a chance to want out and will demand more $s if he does stay. Until this bad injury I think he had been in good form and made a comfortable transition to the mids. I will be disappointed if he goes but we should expect a late first to early second rounder for him.

Like Dawson, COR has been undervalued. He is fearless, provides run and uses the ball well. For me he is a priority re-signing but will cost more than the boiled praties he has been on.

Important re-signings

IMO it is important the Club re-sign Cunningham and Fox. Both offer run and can do a number of roles. Both may want a little bit more dosh.

Potential trades/delistings

Menzell has yet to play a game this year. Given his history I would say thank you for your service - unless he plays a block of 8 good games and his body stands up to it.

Suspect Cameron will be given his marching orders.

Maibaum is yet to play senior footy, but suspect he will be kept on for minimum chips.

Rose will be gone but may get a trade to another Club.

Heard rumours of Papley being open to a trade to Victoria. In that hypothetical situation, what do people think his realistic trade value would be?

Personally, I would value Papley anywhere from a Late-First to Mid-Second Rounder.

Is of more value to Swans if he stayed.

Highly doubtful Papley is leaving. If he was to leave would be a selection from the 8-12 range most likely (If he keeps up his current form then higher).

Yeh I don't buy these "Papley wants out" rumours. He has family connections to the club, which took a punt on him as a rookie-listed player when other clubs passed on him. He's just been added to the leadership group at a pretty young age. He seems to have a good relationship with the coach. The players at least appear to love him. Plus he's just put in his first proper pre-season during his time at the club and is playing probably the best footy of his career to date. Plus he's got another year on his deal to go.

Would be stunned and very disappointed if he chose to leave now.

Yeh I don't buy these "Papley wants out" rumours. He has family connections to the club, which took a punt on him as a rookie-listed player when other clubs passed on him. He's just been added to the leadership group at a pretty young age. He seems to have a good relationship with the coach. The players at least appear to love him. Plus he's just put in his first proper pre-season during his time at the club and is playing probably the best footy of his career to date. Plus he's got another year on his deal to go.

Would be stunned and very disappointed if he chose to leave now.
Every year there's players rumoured to want to return to their original state, and the majority turn out to be crap. Didn't mean to imply they're true, just thought I'd suss out where Swans fans see his value being. Imo there's less than 5% chance of him ever leaving

He's performed at a significantly higher level for a longer time than Rowbottom at NEAFL level

He has been on the list much longer.
Certainly Rowbottoms early NEAFL form is greater than Rose was at the same point I would think.

You could say that Rose has performed at a significantly higher level for a longer time than Blakey at NEAFL level. That statement is also true but you wouldn’t ever contemplate Rose getting a game over him!

If Rowbottom is not that much, if at all, off the level of Rose and we are “rebuilding” then why would you go with the player who has had 4 more years on an AFL list to reach this level but is only perhaps only slightly above the level of a player in his first year, who should improve to his level and beyond quickly, if given the right level of exposure to AFL footy?

If it’s about the next premiership team I feel far more confident that Rowbottom will be a part of it than Rose. We might as well invest in him with stints (whilst not in contention) in the AFL where appropriate and apply his learning and game expansion in the NEAFL, so we can fast track him as we have done with Florent, Hayward, Papley, Mills, Heeney, McCartin and now Blakey as well as Rowbottom even McInerney got a taste!

Rose has probably missed his boat which is unfortunate for him.

Papley getting a price check before he signs long term

I suspect that is probably the case. Determining his market value.

I suggest someone like Dawson is building his market value before he signs. Smart, but you don’t want to leave it too long. Injuries can bite you in the arse sometimes and a long term injury wouldn’t help your value!

Heard rumours of Papley being open to a trade to Victoria. In that hypothetical situation, what do people think his realistic trade value would be?

I heard it involves Macrae.
Your old recruiting guy has a close relationship with Macrae & we are throwing bucket loads of cash at some big players, he being one of them, so quite realistic rumours as we'll have to give up something for Macrae.

Your thoughts Knowroutes Dog?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your old recruiting guy has a close relationship with Macrae & we are throwing bucket loads of cash at some big players, he being one of them, so quite realistic rumours as we'll have to give up something for Macrae.

Pretty sure the Macrae rumour originated from one of those "Insider" AFL Facebook accounts with no real sources, so probably as much truth behind it as the Papely rumours lol

But to play along, wouldn't shock me at all if Sydney actually did end up chasing Macrae. I'd hate to lose him, but feel we do have the players to cover him. Would cost Sydney an enormous price both in trade value and salary though, starting with your 1st this year and adding something from there (similar to Neale's price last year)

Absolutely ridiculous bullshit rumour! While Papley has great value (to answer your hypothetical question)...he isn’t going anywhere. Best to stop paying these idiots any attention.

it was macrae Dunkley and bontempelli i think

Trade was still worth it (Early days) as it got us Rowbottom.
It only moved us up 2 spots, it didn't get us an extra pick that we used on Rowbottom

This season we cant seem to do anything right. Longmire keeps not playing key players and we still win, not enough to make finals, but just enough to secure a mediocre pick.
I seriously don't get the idea of wanting to finish last to get a pick!
There are 22 players who take the field every week, playing to win.
If you have ever played any sport, you know that the desire is to win.
Professionals are playing for their livelihoods, and we simply expect them to turn up their toes so we can get a draft pick??
**** me! Cripps is probably the best young gun there is in the comp. How are the Blues going?
Every other sport in Australia, fans support their teams and pray they don't get the spoon. Yes, they also get annoyed about the performance of the coach and players, but because there is no draft they stay loyal.
How often do you go to work and the boss prays you **** up so that she has the chance to get a better worker than you?
When you start seeing the game as a game, and a work place for the players, rather than a flag or nothing prodpect, I think you begin to enjoy the fight against adversity.
And unless you develop a team as a team, rather then moulding it around a gun, you will inevitably lose anyway.
Put Rowell in, do the Swans win a flag next year or the year after?
Not a hope in hell.
Get this young group to develop a brand of footy that they see as there own and have them supported by their fans, and they will beat a team of Rowells every week!

* please note. This is not a blight on Rowell.
But he is not Jesus, he isn't even Cripps!

I seriously don't get the idea of wanting to finish last to get a pick!
There are 22 players who take the field every week, playing to win.
If you have ever played any sport, you know that the desire is to win.
Professionals are playing for their livelihoods, and we simply expect them to turn up their toes so we can get a draft pick??
**** me! Cripps is probably the best young gun there is in the comp. How are the Blues going?
Every other sport in Australia, fans support their teams and pray they don't get the spoon. Yes, they also get annoyed about the performance of the coach and players, but because there is no draft they stay loyal.
How often do you go to work and the boss prays you **** up so that she has the chance to get a better worker than you?
When you start seeing the game as a game, and a work place for the players, rather than a flag or nothing prodpect, I think you begin to enjoy the fight against adversity.
And unless you develop a team as a team, rather then moulding it around a gun, you will inevitably lose anyway.
Put Rowell in, do the Swans win a flag next year or the year after?
Not a hope in hell.
Get this young group to develop a brand of footy that they see as there own and have them supported by their fans, and they will beat a team of Rowells every week!

* please note. This is not a blight on Rowell.
But he is not Jesus, he isn't even Cripps!

Jesus would probably be a mid-late 2nd rounder.

Averages around 12 possessions,
No Leg Speed
No Tank
Has holes in his feet and hands.
Injury prone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back