VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shows how stats can tell a different story... I didnt rate Parsons or Simpson today
Thought Parsons was really good in the first half.
After that wasn't hitting the ball at pace, but getting it more inside and bombing it.
Simpson's best asset is his evasiveness but he constantly just kept trying to use it to much.

He could be our Mason Cox... With alot more talent thou.... With a huge giant parked in our Forward could be very handy for us....
Cox smashed it at VFL and has played some very good football at AFL. Fort is a journeyman wasting one of our list spots.

No he isn't. Just admit you were guessing based on testing numbers and move on.
Guess based on timed testing :$ It's a timed test and can easily be compared to other players times. I'm not sure how you can argue he is not slow when he was probably the slowest player drafted last year based on 20m times :think:

Guess based on timed testing :$ It's a timed test and can easily be compared to other players times. I'm not sure how you can argue he is not slow when he was probably the slowest player drafted last year based on 20m times :think:
Because I've seen him play (and run) whereas you haven't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the game today planning on watching Touhy and Krueger closely. I spent the whole day instead trying to keep up with a 1yr old so I can’t report to much else about the game.

For Touhy it was just about kms in the legs. Didn’t get a lot of it but did good things when he had it. Would be happy if he came in next week but would understand if they thought he needed another week in the twos.

For Krueger, having seen the big difference the forward pressure applied by Rohan, Dahlhaus & Atkins has made to our AFL side I get why Krueger is playing down back. As a FB Krueger was still playing like a forward. Leading to where he thought the Werribee midfielders would kick it. He would have been caught out a couple of times had their midfielders lowered their eyes and hit up his direct opponent trailing behind him.
All the great highlights from his YouTube footage were there to see, elite foot skills, hard attacks on the pill and ball carrier, good hands so when he learns when to be accountable and when to attack I think he will be a star up forward for the cats.

Cox smashed it at VFL and has played some very good football at AFL. Fort is a journeyman wasting one of our list spots.
Yeah unluckily for us though all the other superstars in the draft had been taken by pick 65

I only saw the first half, but was impressed with Brownless. His vision was pretty good and disposal was better than expected. Given how hard he can run I think he's a sneaky chance to debut this season. Also my first time seeing the three South Australians, they were all pretty quiet but showed flashes. I suspect Jarvis is hurt a little by being a lead up forward in a side that likes sitting it on heads or kicking to guys running towards goal, but he had a few moments of real class and sounds like his goal was a beauty. Tarca can obviously find the goals but I also like the way he competes for a small bloke. Think all three need to do another preseason before they crack the big time.

Of the established guys Narkle was a cut above, has time in congestion that the others don't. Simpson is intriguing, suspect he tops out as a good VFL player but maybe would prosper on a wing. Parsons is infuriating, some of his movement through traffic was sublime but then shanked the resulting disposal. Was hoping that a solid season of coaching in the twos might build his contested game but not sure it'll happen.

I only saw the first half, but was impressed with Brownless. His vision was pretty good and disposal was better than expected. Given how hard he can run I think he's a sneaky chance to debut this season. Also my first time seeing the three South Australians, they were all pretty quiet but showed flashes. I suspect Jarvis is hurt a little by being a lead up forward in a side that likes sitting it on heads or kicking to guys running towards goal, but he had a few moments of real class and sounds like his goal was a beauty. Tarca can obviously find the goals but I also like the way he competes for a small bloke. Think all three need to do another preseason before they crack the big time.

Of the established guys Narkle was a cut above, has time in congestion that the others don't. Simpson is intriguing, suspect he tops out as a good VFL player but maybe would prosper on a wing. Parsons is infuriating, some of his movement through traffic was sublime but then shanked the resulting disposal. Was hoping that a solid season of coaching in the twos might build his contested game but not sure it'll happen.

Was Brownless playing as mainly an inside mid? Sounds like with his endurance he's able to win plenty of footy on the outside too.

Was Brownless playing as mainly an inside mid? Sounds like with his endurance he's able to win plenty of footy on the outside too.
More outside I think, preferred centre stoppage set up seemed to be Parsons, Simpson and Narkle or a VFL player.

The bests are actually nearly spot on. I would've swapped Gow for Mclauchlan though.

Seems you agree with Abbott as BOG - does he look AFL ready or just ‘break glass’ backup only? With Stanley’s record of injuries think it is only a matter of time that there is a longish term call up and IMO Smith is not our long term answer. Looked good in his couple of games last year.

I went to the game today planning on watching Touhy and Krueger closely. I spent the whole day instead trying to keep up with a 1yr old so I can’t report to much else about the game.

For Touhy it was just about kms in the legs. Didn’t get a lot of it but did good things when he had it. Would be happy if he came in next week but would understand if they thought he needed another week in the twos.

For Krueger, having seen the big difference the forward pressure applied by Rohan, Dahlhaus & Atkins has made to our AFL side I get why Krueger is playing down back. As a FB Krueger was still playing like a forward. Leading to where he thought the Werribee midfielders would kick it. He would have been caught out a couple of times had their midfielders lowered their eyes and hit up his direct opponent trailing behind him.
All the great highlights from his YouTube footage were there to see, elite foot skills, hard attacks on the pill and ball carrier, good hands so when he learns when to be accountable and when to attack I think he will be a star up forward for the cats.

Even as a forward I’m not surprised that they are playing Krueger in backline - he’s going to have a much quicker apprenticeship of contested marking and the defensive mindset than the much fewer opportunities each game in our VFL forward line.

Also, the club could be seeing him as a serious KPD option - we are exposed with Harry’s impending retirement and Hendo’s lack of resilience. Freddie’s pressure and long kicking to get over zones would also be an asset in defence.

Last edited:
Seems you agree with Abbott as BOG - does he look AFL ready or just ‘break glass’ backup only? With Stanley’s record of injuries think it is only a matter of time that there is a longish term call up and IMO Smith is not our long term answer. Looked good in his couple of games last year.
Thought Fort was better TBH. Just thought he looked a bit more confident. Especially with ball in hand.
A few of Abbott's tap downs to Parsons were awesome though.
They were both good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back