List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really don’t think we should target any mids at this point unless they are a bona fide star. We have a lot of young talent atm and we have invested heavily in them. Rowbottom and Florent have shown plenty, let them be the ones to usher in a new swans era.

All that happens when you bring in b graders is that is forces a young developing player out, players then leave due to lack of opportunity.

Key positions is what we should be targeting. When you start losing kpp due to injury , you can pretty much right the season off.

Losing someone like a parker for an extended time isn’t ideal but they are replaceable even if you drop some output.

Reduce list sizes mean that the value of kpp will go up because very few have the depth to cover them

Losing a mid or a small does not alter your game plan, system as much as losing a chf for example

Really don’t think we should target any mids at this point unless they are a bona fide star. We have a lot of young talent atm and we have invested heavily in them. Rowbottom and Florent have shown plenty, let them be the ones to usher in a new swans era.

All that happens when you bring in b graders is that is forces a young developing player out, players then leave due to lack of opportunity.

Key positions is what we should be targeting. When you start losing kpp due to injury , you can pretty much right the season off.

Losing someone like a parker for an extended time isn’t ideal but they are replaceable even if you drop some output.

Reduce list sizes mean that the value of kpp will go up because very few have the depth to cover them

Losing a mid or a small does not alter your game plan, system as much as losing a chf for example
At the beginning of the year I would of disagreed, but as we are running more players through the mids, seeing the growth or Rowbottom and Florent, the hard work of Bell and Stephens, the pure stardom of Papley, the leadership of Parker, and with all the unknowns like McInerney, Thurlow, Wicks, Blakey, and more, it's all very exciting. I think we have a lot to build on, and a young draftee will be more in the midfield because of the culture created around it.

So super agree, if we do trade we need some KPP. Tough this about KPP is that drafting one is risky and often full of complications, and trading for one can cost an arm and a leg.

Will be looking forward to seeing what we do during the draft/trade period.

The easiest 2 birds 1 stone scenario is Degoey.

Not sure how you would get him out of Collingwood but he would just about fill every need.

He’s not KPP size but he can play the role and be a dominant target. He’s so powerful on the lead he would provide an extremely strong focal point. Also has the capacity to play in the midfield if required.

Would cost an arm and a leg. Only way I see it is if papley requests a trade to vic (who knows what will happen there) and Degoey wants to get out of the spotlight.

If all the stars aligned it would be a straight player swap

The easiest 2 birds 1 stone scenario is Degoey.

Not sure how you would get him out of Collingwood but he would just about fill every need.

He’s not KPP size but he can play the role and be a dominant target. He’s so powerful on the lead he would provide an extremely strong focal point. Also has the capacity to play in the midfield if required.

Would cost an arm and a leg. Only way I see it is if papley requests a trade to vic (who knows what will happen there) and Degoey wants to get out of the spotlight.

If all the stars aligned it would be a straight player swap

This is of course assuming he doesn't go to jail, but even then, recruiting a bloke with that sort of thing hanging over him firmly enough to have warranted a court date (it is rare for sexual assault to reach the stage of court trials, most never gets reported, let alone charged) would be pretty awful stuff.

This is of course assuming he doesn't go to jail, but even then, recruiting a bloke with that sort of thing hanging over him firmly enough to have warranted a court date (it is rare for sexual assault to reach the stage of court trials, most never gets reported, let alone charged) would be pretty awful stuff.

Yep. Morally terrible and an awful look for the Swans brand as well.

wouldn't be surprised if we win a few from here.. finish with pick 8-10.
So no guarantee of a pick before Campbell. So I guess what we do with that pick comes down to how much faith we have with our leaders (Buddy, JPK, Rampe, Parker.... Heeney, Lloyd, Mills) of staying fit and their ability to lead and develop on the field.
Do we try and trade a 2nd 3rd year player? or an experienced one??

No?

Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Melbourne
Carlton
Brisbane
Geelong

Tough run home which I'm glad for. Want this side to be challenged consistently and have to figure it out against the best sides (Port, Brisbane, Geelong) or sides who are on the fringe of the 8 and playing for their finals llves (Carlton, Freo and Melbourne).

Tough run home which I'm glad for. Want this side to be challenged consistently and have to figure it out against the best sides (Port, Brisbane, Geelong) or sides who are on the fringe of the 8 and playing for their finals llves (Carlton, Freo and Melbourne).

We have every chance to beat Fremantle and Melbourne, and if we play well we can beat Carlton too.

We have every chance to beat Fremantle and Melbourne, and if we play well we can beat Carlton too.

More likely to beat Carlton than Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been think about this.

Only way I would do our future first is if it was to crows and went like this:

Our first 2020, first 2021 for 2020 first (pick 1) and 2020 second round (pick 20)

Would allow us first choice in 2020, match bid for Campbell and grab Gulden later.

Been watch McDonald and is looking every inch pick 1

Almost hope McDonald goes 1, that would allow one of Thilhorpe, Phillips, etc to fall

all this talk in the media thread about how good our youth is, im very much hoping we get a pick before the academy kids to really have a good crop of youth
future is exciting

To me our off season is easy, I think we have our cap well under control looking at the amount that has walked out over the last couple of seasons and not come back in and I would think we have been banking cap money for a couple of seasons to cover the extra Buddy money next season without the need to advertise it in the media like Saints, Carlton & North. We will take our 3 draft picks and take best available before the 2 academy boys, make a free agent play for Zac Williams which I think completes our up and coming midfield group and take Daniher (passing medical first) on minimum bickies as a free agent or in Pre season draft whichever DoDo prefers and back in our youngsters to keep improving. Given a decent run with injury next season I see no reason why top 8 is not out of the question particularly with a midfield rotating Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Williams, Heeney, Stephens, Blakey, Mills, Dawson amongst others, Plenty of key position depth with only our Ruck as a week point but if Sinclair can give us what he has the last few weeks with a chop out from Reid, Daniher and Mclean etc I think we will be more than competitive especially if Buddy can get back to anywhere near his best
On what planet would we be recruiting a guy that hasn't played in 3 years, and has the same debilitating injury that retired his brother?
I mean short of a deal on minimum chips I suppose. 150k plus incentives for more than 10 games per year?
The list of bidders would include: us..Crows...maybe?

Hi All

I have combined alot of data, for all players, by club and it includes contract end year, games, age, height, & position.

Its not perfect and it is likely to have some errors but it will allow you to filter or sort anyway you wish.

There are some interesting players who are uncontracted and also the way some clubs have built their list.

Regards

Attachments

• AFL Contract years.xlsx
    218.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hi All

I have combined alot of data, for all players, by club and it includes contract end year, games, age, height, & position.

Its not perfect and it is likely to have some errors but it will allow you to fiter or sort anyway you wish.

There are some interesting players who are uncontracted and also the way some clubs have built their list.

Regards
Wow, great job

Hi All

Its not perfect and it is likely to have some errors but it will allow you to fiter or sort anyway you wish.

Regards

Fantastic!!! Your are a champion.

I like this option in the draft !
View attachment 938970

I wonder where he falls in the draft, do players get rated higher due to their brothers? If papley went as a rookie (didn't show as much potential) then you would have to imagine that teams would be willing to take a punt on the kid even if he shows less potential than others?

Would love the swans to pick up another papley, just be interesting to see how long we're even in the draft.

"Will Papley, the younger brother of Sydney star Tom, is a similar type of player. A touch taller than Tom at 177cm, Papley is more of an inside midfielder who can go forward and display his craft around goal. Like Tom, clubs like his ability to play a split-second ahead of the game through his reading of the contest"

If Papley's brother is a decent player. I wonder if we would consider drafting him to see if they can develop a combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back