List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some West Coast fans are still filthy over their club's involvement in that deal. They basically helped us land a potential gun and didn't make much of a net profit themselves. It bordered on charity!

Can you elaborate on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thanks to B Brown.. aside from my personal view on him (Im not a fan), we're not looking for a tall forward while Buddy, Reid, McCartin, McLean (even Amartey) are on our list. If he was a free agent (like Daniher) it may be different and would be ok with getting him as long as he didn't cost too much $..
If we're trading a big player... I hope we go for a KPD, a ruck or an inside mid.

If Melican continues his form from the last game then that reduces our need for a quality KPD.. Allirr may (will! - hes a natural athlete) find form as that intercepting athletic tall and Fox, Ling, COR become the 7th, 8th, 9th defender
Rampe, Lloyd, Mills, Cunningham, Allirr, Melican, ...........Fox, Ling, COR... (Dawson). Not a bad back 6. Good balance of height, speed, skill, and experience

Im a fan of Naismith, and I reckon the Swans are in a tough spot.. Sinclare has 1 more year on his contract (and body), do we go with sinkers until the 2nd half of next season when Naismith returns from injury? Does Naismith return and stay fit?
We saw the impact of a Ruck that wins his contest in rd 1 and last game..

Im getting a sneaky feeling that Hewett might be heading home?? if so then theres a spot for a 50 - 100 game / 23-25yo good midfielder. Florent, Rowbum, Blakey, Stephens, (and more) we will want to be getting games into and therefore may not chase too hard for that experienced mid - especially while Parker, JPK, Hewett are playing. If Hewett stays, We may miss this trade period and take on the draft again

Soo much to play out.. such a complex thing (Salary cap, personalities, skill levels, culture), but I have faith in the list managers. Ive heard players say (Paps, last game) on many occasion over the last two years,, "If we stay together". Every player that comes in means someone leaves
Naismith won’t stay fit.
Time to move on ...

I really hope we are in the ear of that Callum Hyphen bloke from the tigers. The more i read about him the more I'm hoping he is a target.
your talking about Riley Collier-Dawkins yeah? i wanted him in his draft year.

He wasn't really in our draft range unfortunately. He was a player who was expected to go mid to late teens and we did not have a pick in that range. Was never going to make our second pick and our first pick was tied up with Blakey (essentially).
yeah we got Rowy 5 picks later. clearly we still did very well

Can you elaborate on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's rather complicated but basically

West Coast:
- Looked after our pick 26 after we traded it to them for a future 3rd round pick. (Which meant it couldn't be used on a Blakey bid.)
- Kept the pick 26 and traded us their pick 24 instead. (Which meant we were back in the second round after Blakey's bid.)

You could argue we gave up a lot: essentially gave up a 2019 2nd round for a 2019 3rd round and an upgrade of two spots in the 2018 2nd round.

But it was well worth it. The 2019 draft did not bat anywhere near as deep as the 2018 draft, so it was better to trade away a pick in the 19 draft to improve our hand in the 18 draft. It also meant we got Blakey AND a second round pick, rather than having to use the second round pick just to land Blakey.

And that second round pick became Rowbottom. :)

yeah we got Rowy 5 picks later. clearly we still did very well
Especially as Rowy has demonstrated talent and commitment, and RCD has had publicly noted issues with commitment. The rumour at the time was that we traded down to get Jez McLennan (?), but GC nabbed him. I don't think he's played a seniors game yet. We won that one.

He wasn't really in our draft range unfortunately. He was a player who was expected to go mid to late teens and we did not have a pick in that range. Was never going to make our second pick and our first pick was tied up with Blakey (essentially).

Hope RCD is going okay. Last I heard he was struggling with the pace of VFL. Still young and he's lucky he's behind a relatively old midfield group who will need replacing in the near future, but I hope he starts making in-roads where senior footy is concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this:

Trade Future first + 2-5 pick

Norths first + Ben Brown

Avoids getting Campbell bidded on and gives us a tall that can play forward/ruck

Been think about this.

Only way I would do our future first is if it was to crows and went like this:

Our first 2020, first 2021 for 2020 first (pick 1) and 2020 second round (pick 20)

Would allow us first choice in 2020, match bid for Campbell and grab Gulden later.

Been watch McDonald and is looking every inch pick 1

To me our off season is easy, I think we have our cap well under control looking at the amount that has walked out over the last couple of seasons and not come back in and I would think we have been banking cap money for a couple of seasons to cover the extra Buddy money next season without the need to advertise it in the media like Saints, Carlton & North. We will take our 3 draft picks and take best available before the 2 academy boys, make a free agent play for Zac Williams which I think completes our up and coming midfield group and take Daniher (passing medical first) on minimum bickies as a free agent or in Pre season draft whichever DoDo prefers and back in our youngsters to keep improving. Given a decent run with injury next season I see no reason why top 8 is not out of the question particularly with a midfield rotating Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Williams, Heeney, Stephens, Blakey, Mills, Dawson amongst others, Plenty of key position depth with only our Ruck as a week point but if Sinclair can give us what he has the last few weeks with a chop out from Reid, Daniher and Mclean etc I think we will be more than competitive especially if Buddy can get back to anywhere near his best

your talking about Riley Collier-Dawkins yeah? i wanted him in his draft year.
Nope. Callum Coleman-Jones. From what I hear he is a developing ruck who tigers fans think has a lot of potential and could end up being the best of all of their big men. He is coming out of contract and, if not for an injury, probably would have played a few games this year. It would be worth it just for the salt.

Last edited:
To me our off season is easy, I think we have our cap well under control looking at the amount that has walked out over the last couple of seasons and not come back in and I would think we have been banking cap money for a couple of seasons to cover the extra Buddy money next season without the need to advertise it in the media like Saints, Carlton & North. We will take our 3 draft picks and take best available before the 2 academy boys, make a free agent play for Zac Williams which I think completes our up and coming midfield group and take Daniher (passing medical first) on minimum bickies as a free agent or in Pre season draft whichever DoDo prefers and back in our youngsters to keep improving. Given a decent run with injury next season I see no reason why top 8 is not out of the question particularly with a midfield rotating Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Williams, Heeney, Stephens, Blakey, Mills, Dawson amongst others, Plenty of key position depth with only our Ruck as a week point but if Sinclair can give us what he has the last few weeks with a chop out from Reid, Daniher and Mclean etc I think we will be more than competitive especially if Buddy can get back to anywhere near his best

Oh

You're right, that is easy.

Close the thread, our off-season is sorted.

you'd think there would be quite a few swans fans in the draft given how long we were dominant for

attractive and attacking footy is what lured good players to brisbane, hopefully we can keep this up until the end of the season and do the same

you'd think there would be quite a few swans fans in the draft given how long we were dominant for

attractive and attacking footy is what lured good players to brisbane, hopefully we can keep this up until the end of the season and do the same

Zac Williams would fit what we are trying to do perfectly.

A lot of talk about Riley Collier-Dawkins from Richmond, but I would also be keeping an eye on Jack Ross. Dropped from the Tigers again as they bring back two flag Tigers in Cotchin and Graham, after Ross was pretty good with a 15 possession game in the midfield. Low-key hope he keeps getting dropped so he can become gettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back