2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand Stephenson being discussed, but Schareberg???

I still find it mind-boggling that there is a chance Gunston will be traded. We may as well voluntarily relegate our team to the VFL for season 2021 (in reference to how bad our forward line will be).

As for trading in an established key forward, I can't understand how we can with all of Lewis, Patton, TOB, Gunston, Jeka and a potential resting ruckman all on our list.

If player X isn't durable/too injury-prone... or X will never make it... either get rid of 1 or 2 of those to make room, or don't. And as yet, no-one has made any room.

Maybe there's more to play out, but Gunston has been our most important player this year imo.

Personally, I believe AC and the Hawks will have every faith and confidence that the above-mentioned will suffice as our key forwards contingent for 2021. Sure it failed this year but they probably think things will improve next year.

It is over hawthorn aren’t trading him Collingwood have nothing that they are willing to give up that we want and they need their first rounder in case someone bids on their academy player who is predicted to go high in the draft as well. Also Gunston don’t want to leave so that ends it alright there.

praise be
Now make him captain

I love Gunston like everyone else but we all know the way our club operates, if we think it will be for the betterment of our club they will make the hard decision. If it is true that we can get pick 12 and a player it will be hard to say no. We don’t want to end up like North and trying to offload Higgins and expecting high pick. I would rather have a bit of pain to be closer to a flag in 3-4 years than being mid table going no where

I assume the possibility of Scharenberg being offered in a hypothetical Gunston trade was meant as a joke or else a challenge to our medical team to recycle another player who has had multiple ACL procedures. Collingwood fans seem to think he is more likely to be delisted.

I love Gunston like everyone else but we all know the way our club operates, if we think it will be for the betterment of our club they will make the hard decision. If it is true that we can get pick 12 and a player it will be hard to say no. We don’t want to end up like North and trying to offload Higgins and expecting high pick. I would rather have a bit of pain to be closer to a flag in 3-4 years than being mid table going no where
Not a deep draft and we have pick 4 and 21 and if downie slips lower we could get 3 talented players don’t need to get extra picks for proven players.

It would be funny, if we had a whole heap of 3rd rounders, like 5 picks in 40s and nailed each one, like Worpel. Otherwise the way everyone wants here, will take long time. What other way to be closer to flag in 3 years time? It is probably the year to get lucky because so many un exposed Vic players.

how nice of him
Sorry I should specify that this understanding is with regards to the Collingwood interest specifically. Will be interesting to see how it pans out! Seems like a win/win if we get a first rounder and a stephenson, or we keep Gunston who I believe should be captain. Clarkson will be at his intriguing best for the next month or two.

Sorry I should specify that this understanding is with regards to the Collingwood interest specifically. Will be interesting to see how it pans out! Seems like a win/win if we get a first rounder and a stephenson, or we keep Gunston who I believe should be captain. Clarkson will be at his intriguing best for the next month or two.

ah okay makes sense

weird to think he'd be impartial to a move if it was to say, North Melbourne..

Stephenson and the pick swaps makes sense but they would have to be desperate for Gunston.

It's the only deal ill truly be happy with. Would be seen publicly as overs so Collingwood would need to be prepared to take the backlash.

I still don't get what's gone on with Stephenson, would be a strange move to even consider trading him at his low point in value.

I agree with others about not trading Gunston for #12 and something.

Pick #12 pre draft will likely become #20+ on draft night.

But the big thing to remember is that clubs will view the draftees completely differently to any other time in draft history.

We could theoretically still get the player we want with our #21 and keep Gunston, rather than trade Gunston and use #12 on the same player we would have used #21 on.

I get that it would be an additional pick but not worth it in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with others about not trading Gunston for #12 and something.

Pick #12 pre draft will likely become #20+ on draft night.

But the big thing to remember is that clubs will view the draftees completely differently to any other time in draft history.

We could theoretically still get the player we want with our #21 and keep Gunston, rather than trade Gunston and use #12 on the same player we would have used #21 on.

I get that it would be an additional pick but not worth it in this draft.

Pick 12 may end up at 15 or 16, not 20+

Bulldogs, Sydney maybe x 2, Collingwood and Port all have academy bid that could come before 12 so that makes it 17. Crouch, Williams, Daniher and maybe Cameron could all get 1st round compo that could make it 21. Lot's of risk.

So 12 could become 21 and then Downie is bid on at 19 or 20 and we have just traded Gunston for Downie.

Last edited:
Bulldogs, Sydney maybe x 2, Collingwood and Port all have academy bid that could come before 12 so that makes it 17. Crouch, Williams, Daniher and maybe Cameron could all get 1st round compo that could make it 21. Lot's of risk.
The only team that could do a deal with us and that's only if Gunston wanted to go, would be North Melbourne and their pick 2 anything else is not worth our while.

Still not worth it. A pick in the mid to high teens and a player they don’t want for a 28 year old 3 time flag winner, All Australian and a player who can go forward, back and even wing.
No chance we lose Gunners for that.
I am ignoring this year due to the crap we got dealt. This club still has a lot of quality and can turn it around.
Gunston will still be going strong around the 33 year old mark as he is smart, and doesn’t carry much weight around.

Just on Stephenson, if (and I emphasise the IF here) Collingwood were willing to part with him in a deal involving Gunston, wouldn't alarm bells be ringing?

A player of his talent doesn't get offered up in a deal unless something is wrong. Stephenson has been a bit all over the place this year. Not sure what's happened but something doesn't seem right.

Just on Stephenson, if (and I emphasise the IF here) Collingwood were willing to part with him in a deal involving Gunston, wouldn't alarm bells be ringing?

A player of his talent doesn't get offered up in a deal unless something is wrong. Stephenson has been a bit all over the place this year. Not sure what's happened but something doesn't seem right.
and he has a heart condition

That's exactly what I'm thinking!

Like what has happened that has caused him to become tradable?

Glad I'm not a list manager.

Im guessing if we decide to go down this path, we would hopefully do our due diligence in regards to any potential players

Gunston to Collingwood
The part about Gunston to Collingwood I struggle with is their salary cap. We know they are struggling to re-sign De Goey and Moore. Where would the money come from?

I have said elsewhere if Gunston was keen to move, Collingwood would be the perfect fit. He makes them a contender. But I just can't see the salary cap space being there (and obviously want to keep Gunston).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back