List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that makes me love him even more is the way he left.
He told us with over a year left on his contract that he really wanted to get back to SA.
He'd had offers before signing the previous contract extension, but chose to stick with North after they looked after him and believed in him as a kid.
But now he knew he'd be going back after the 2003 season, no matter what we offered. So he went to the club in 2002 and told them he'd be open to a trade while still in contract so we could command more.
He apparently assured everyone that if they chose to keep him to the end he would continue to give 100%, but it was definitely going to be his last contract with North.
We pulled the trigger and got a 1st and a 2nd Rounder for him. 👍

I knew there was no bad blood but didn't know that detail cheers.

Spoke to him at a club dinner in 2003-4 and he seemed like he genuinely missed the place and would like to come back. Said as much unprompted.

Was surreal seeing him milling amongst Wells et al, imagine having had them on the list at the same time :).

Laidley voiced anger of getting overruled re getting Choppy back in 2005. That has always really annoyed me, would've loved him to come back and finish with us rather than have the sh*tstain of a Melbourne jumper on his resume.

Agree the trade return was decent for him. Unfortunately we didn't make them count - Leigh Brown and Joel Perry didn't collectively add up to 0.25 of a Choppy.

One other thing on Choppy - that was more evidence of Pagan's strong coaching.

Recognised a talented a young player and rode him hard letting him know in no uncertain terms that he had to get in condition to be in the frame.

Choppy did his bit and Denis backed him in.

Despite Denis being a hard taskmaster Choppy still sought him out with his family when their paths crossed, still admiring his old mentor.

Proof that the right coach can be both tough and loved.

The thing that makes me love him even more is the way he left.
He told us with over a year left on his contract that he really wanted to get back to SA.
He'd had offers before signing the previous contract extension, but chose to stick with North after they looked after him and believed in him as a kid.
But now he knew he'd be going back after the 2003 season, no matter what we offered. So he went to the club in 2002 and told them he'd be open to a trade while still in contract so we could command more.
He apparently assured everyone that if they chose to keep him to the end he would continue to give 100%, but it was definitely going to be his last contract with North.
We pulled the trigger and got a 1st and a 2nd Rounder for him. 👍
Sounds a bit like higgins last year.
'I'm happy to play at North but I know they are rebuilding but if they wanted to trade me for picks I'll try and maximise my value so the club can rebuild'.

What the **** is a Mitchell Hinge?

I did 2 units of woodwork but don't recall that coming up.

Do not change the first letters of that name around .... trust me ..... it will sound like someone that works at the tender touch....

Noble would know if he is any good.

Cox wanted to go back home. He may prefer to play in the WAFL than be on a AFL list.
If he wanted to go home then, theres nothing to say he wouldn't want to go home later if we picked him up....no thanks.

Picket was better than king in his absolute prime, but King performed over a longer period of time. I guess it’s a case of if you rate longevity over higher quality in a smaller sample. As much as I loved Picket, I think King was better overall.

Similar to Mckernan in a way. He was in the top handful of players in the game from 95-99. He tailed off and wasn’t regarded as highly as others who performed at a high level for longer.

hard to split them really, they were both guns and hard as nails. King came in and smashed it from just about his first game
loved him as a player, he would have to be the one of the best mature aged draftees ever.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know that ‘bastard Tudor’ and unfortunately he meant that kick it wasn’t a fluke

No way that was that a pass! I was dying in the pocket where he kicked it, he was falling on his arse and was just trying to keep the ball from going out of bounds.
Mick was in perfect position too just in front of the god botherer and it just lobed over the top. It was a terrific bit of dogged play.
still makes me sad.

No way that was that a pass! I was dying in the pocket where he kicked it, he was falling on his arse and was just trying to keep the ball from going out of bounds.
Mick was in perfect position too just in front of the god botherer and it just lobed over the top. It was a terrific bit of dogged play.
still makes me sad.

Well KG,
After all these years of never watching that replay, furiously I went and watched it on YouTube to prove too myself one and all that it was pure arse and dumb luck!

WFM Im getting old, my memory was that he kicked it off the ground while he was falling over in a tackle. I was wrong and it does look like he meant it!
Hurts even more now! Damn you!
😬

Well KG,
After all these years of never watching that replay, furiously I went and watched it on YouTube to prove too myself one and all that it was pure arse and dumb luck!

WFM Im getting old, my memory was that he kicked it off the ground while he was falling over in a tackle. I was wrong and it does look like he meant it!
😬
Lurkers wasn't a bad footy player.

Well KG,

😬
Don't beat yourself up, for years I thought I saw Nirvana play as a young lad, only to discover recently it was the Meanies.

Well KG,

😬

Irony;
'94 - Abletts 3rd touch for the day wins them the game.

'89 - Kicks 9 in a Granny and loses.

From the KM thread:
Especially a team like north after they cut so deep. Kennedy and Gleeson would be walk up starts.
When you're bringing in guys like Atu and Lachie Young you're struggling, I agree there.

I'd much rather Gleeson and Kennedy to those two, and I'd bring in Ballenden and Gown at the same time.

Gleeson is an easy walkup start, North Melbourne's defence has been entirely decimated. Cutting Pittard, Williams, Ahern could play back and probably should have more, Wood I think should have been converted into a defender, Macmillan gone, Vickers-Willis gone. McDonald and Atley is basically all they have left in the way of good general defenders, and Atley is more okay than good.

Then through the midfield with Higgins gone, Cunnington nearing 30, Jacobs gone, Ahern could play midfield and is gone, Ziebell is near the end and is able when he rotates through there. So I'm seeing the midfield room for a Kennedy who already is a good and able established midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the KM thread:
Especially a team like north after they cut so deep. Kennedy and Gleeson would be walk up starts.
When you're bringing in guys like Atu and Lachie Young you're struggling, I agree there.

I'd much rather Gleeson and Kennedy to those two, and I'd bring in Ballenden and Gown at the same time.

Gleeson is an easy walkup start, North Melbourne's defence has been entirely decimated. Cutting Pittard, Williams, Ahern could play back and probably should have more, Wood I think should have been converted into a defender, Macmillan gone, Vickers-Willis gone. McDonald and Atley is basically all they have left in the way of good general defenders, and Atley is more okay than good.

Then through the midfield with Higgins gone, Cunnington nearing 30, Jacobs gone, Ahern could play midfield and is gone, Ziebell is near the end and is able when he rotates through there. So I'm seeing the midfield room for a Kennedy who already is a good and able established midfielder.

Can’t believe he gets paid for his opinion on drafting.
Fake it till you make it - that’s a lot of faking

From the KM thread:

Not a word of this isn't nonsense.

People are crying foul and despairing that we got rid off brown hence losing our biggest goal kicker but i say this might open up a new era where instead of 1 or 2 key forward plus 4 or 5 small forwards, we might be moving towards a more mobile foward line where we have half a dozen 188 - 190cm players who could play midfield and able to fill in a key position role. Due to necessity, we might need to usher in the prototype midfielders, i.e. 190cm+ mids to do this job. We also happens to have a plethora of medium forwards who can be undersized key forwards.

Well KG,

😬

I’m sorry 1975 but I grow up with Lurker and he did mean it . I hated it also and lurker also has been threatened with violence by upset north supporters when out and about years ago.
He saw mick in front of Ablett and was kicking the ball to get get over mick. Sometimes they work and much to our disgust this one did.

From the KM thread:

I'm not sure what the point is with this. Both Gleeson and Kennedy will be prelisted as rookies so we can't pick them up even if we wanted to, which I doubt we would.

Why write this. Does he not know the new rule?

Imagine being a child in the 90's and most of your earliest memories of North are in the 2000's...
Could be worse
From the KM thread:

Stopped reading after he mentioned Wood should have been converted into a defender. The club would have tried him in the backline in training and with he's running ability he would of been used on a wing also. The big problem with Wood was he couldn't defend or find the footy.

From the KM thread:

Literally every sentence of this is plain wrong, backward looking or simplistic.

Good to see KM move into media mode where he can just generalise without research and expect 95% of the masses to lap it up.

Can’t believe he gets paid for his opinion on drafting.
Fake it till you make it - that’s a lot of faking
Does he get paid? Crikey. I'd assumed he paid ESPN for a vehicle to get his nonsense out to a broader audience.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Does he get paid? Crikey. I'd assumed he paid ESPN for a vehicle to get his nonsense out to a broader audience.

If you say it with enough confidence , there’ll be people that take it as gospel.

Just look at the tripe spoken about our club and people without knowledge just believe it.

I couldn’t help myself - had to go whack.

What a f****** moron.

He has never kicked a ball in his life and needs to stick to the excel spreadsheets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back