List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might even look to extend the current CBA by a year to give them all more time to assess the damage covid has done.
I'm pretty sure the salary cap is based off the tv rights deal. I'm not sure when they expires but it may not be as simple as extending the existing CBA.

I'm pretty sure the salary cap is based off the tv rights deal. I'm not sure when they expires but it may not be as simple as extending the existing CBA.

The players pushed during the last CBA to have the salary cap tied to a percentage of AFL revenue (so that would include TV Rights as well as AFL sponsorships, ticketing etc). The AFL rejected it and they settled for the salary cap floor rising instead.

Lucky for the players that they didn't tie the salary cap to AFL Revenue as they would've been in for a bloodbath pay-wise last year instead of the 8% cut that was agreed in the end.

The players pushed during the last CBA to have the salary cap tied to a percentage of AFL revenue (so that would include TV Rights as well as AFL sponsorships, ticketing etc). The AFL rejected it and they settled for the salary cap floor rising instead.

Lucky for the players that they didn't tie the salary cap to AFL Revenue as they would've been in for a bloodbath pay-wise last year instead of the 8% cut that was agreed in the end.
But the AFL made shitloads of revenue from the bank last season 😂😂

This board is so jumpy. Dawson will sign. I think Hewitt will, too.

Don’t panic. And as much as I hate the phrase "you can’t have them all", in this case it’s true.

People want Warner, Rowbottom, Campbell and Stephens into the team that was picked last week (granted Rowy and Stephens played but they weren’t initially named), so who goes? Do we get to keep 15 gun midfielders? No.

We just need to hope we keep enough of them and I believe we’ll retain basically every player we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A factor that people have to keep in mind is that next year is the last season of the current CBA before the AFL and the AFLPA sit down and work out a new salary cap for the next five years. That won't be worked out until mid-way through next season going by the last CBA agreement. This prevents clubs from planning too far into the future salary cap wise as they don't have a salary cap figure to work with yet beyond 2022.

That in of itself would normally be planned around by continuing with the 2022 cap figure, except that figure has already been cut downwards from the original CBA as part of the salary cuts the AFLPA agreed for 2021 and 2022 at the end of last year. So the clubs don't know if to plan on the original 2022 figure, the current 2022 figure, or hope for the best when it comes to 2023 and beyond.

The complicating factor is that the CBA will be worked out off the back of two COVID hit seasons and there is every chance even more cuts to the salary cap beyond 2022 could take place. So I can understand clubs leaving contract talks back so long, they are most likely awaiting some certainty from the AFL what the likely salary cap will be going forward.

we also haven't been informed of any trade bans or changes to our own salary cap rules/acaxemy points etc yet

We just have to trust that they will do the best that they can. They won't want to lose any of these key players if they can help it.

I'm sure they will but Hewett, Dawson, Parker and Stephens... that's a prized bunch of players to be left dangling on the open market

Our depth might be good/great in places but losing one of them would hurt

This board is so jumpy. Dawson will sign. I think Hewitt will, too.

Don’t panic. And as much as I hate the phrase "you can’t have them all", in this case it’s true.

People want Warner, Rowbottom, Campbell and Stephens into the team that was picked last week (granted Rowy and Stephens played but they weren’t initially named), so who goes? Do we get to keep 15 gun midfielders? No.

We just need to hope we keep enough of them and I believe we’ll retain basically every player we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I agree, I would hope that we can hold on to best 22 players. "you can't have them all" usually refers to blokes in the reserves that can't get games. Dawson and Hewett are solidly in the best 22.

What most here are burnt about is that in the last 2-3 seasons we've still had to trade 1-2 best 22 players (Jones, Aliir, Rohan, Hanners, and Newman). Now say what you will about the quality of the players we've lost, they we're all best 22 when they left, and are all best 22 (when fit) in their respective side. If we want to push further into the year we need continuity between our players. I think they were the right decisions at the time, since we we're still a bottom 4 team trying to find their feet, but any players lost as a top 6 team wrestling their way in top 4 is a MAJOR loss.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll lose either of them, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we do lose them.

Either way, if they aren't signed by trade time I won't be looking forward to it.

Crikey, why didn't we sign this guy in the midseason?

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ake-schlensog-looms-elite-key-position-player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ake-schlensog-looms-elite-key-position-player
Schlensog? Seems like a few mature age prospects have been overhyped. Callow went very late despite being reported as one of the best, Newcombe is the one who has played the most with 4 matches while others have only gotten 1. Looks like most clubs would rather pick project players than mature agers running around in the state league

I'd take Chris Doerre's opinions with a grain of salt; the amount of interaction that he has with the BF community is fantastic, but I'd more describe him as "prolific" than "insightful".

Schlensog? Seems like a few mature age prospects have been overhyped. Callow went very late despite being reported as one of the best, Newcombe is the one who has played the most with 4 matches while others have only gotten 1. Looks like most clubs would rather pick project players than mature agers running around in the state league
Newcombe carved us up, then promptly faded into obscurity.

It’s a phenomenon known as “the Sexton effect”.

Newcombe carved us up, then promptly faded into obscurity.

It’s a phenomenon known as “the Sexton effect”.

I've been calling it the Tomic for years.

I've been calling it the Tomic for years.

Tomic [tom-ic] [Tom-ic-ed] [tom-ic-ing]

verb
1. Apply yourself for a small period of time before giving up. (I am tomicing this match).
noun
2. Play exceedingly well for a month and then give fallacious promises to the world. (He performed a tomic).
verb
3. A sharp rise in the space of a short amount of time, succeeded by a long, long fall. (He tomiced the rankings)

I'd take Chris Doerre's opinions with a grain of salt; the amount of interaction that he has with the BF community is fantastic, but I'd more describe him as "prolific" than "insightful".
A young 199 cm 99kg KPD who is doing really well in the WAFL and can also go forward? Sorry, but thats enough for me. There's not a lot or risk, and tremendous upside to signing such a player in the midseason. Maybe he hadn't done enough at the time, IDK. But I think Knightmare lives over there now, no? He'd have a pretty good idea I reckon. He'll end up going 2nd round in the main draft if he's eligible at this rate. If he's not we should be offering him a 2 year deal right now.

Said it at the time. 200cm defenders dont grow on trees and the talk was he had matured considerably since delisting. Drafting a KPD later zhis year would be wise but Schlensog would be much better from a list demographic point of view.

Tomic [tom-ic] [Tom-ic-ed] [tom-ic-ing]

verb
1. Apply yourself for a small period of time before giving up. (I am tomicing this match).
noun
2. Play exceedingly well for a month and then give fallacious promises to the world. (He performed a tomic).
verb
3. A sharp rise in the space of a short amount of time, succeeded by a long, long fall. (He tomiced the rankings)
4. Party too hard, in the lead up or just prior to a match, severely impacting performance. (He gin and tomic'd himself)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back