News 2021 pre season training

Remove this Banner Ad

This is obviously from 2020 but posting because of the the bullet point list of what he does in it. I reckon the guy he bumped off it at the start was Jack Hombsch too, no slouch. Could be good things from this lad in 2021

I've seen it reported as an adductor issue, with Tom Browne claiming it's the same issue hampered him the grand final

Should see all the Tigger supporters replying to Tom Browne's tweet about it asking if he injured himself diving or failing to tackle Dusty in the last term of the grand final, and asking why it took 3 months to find an excuse for his poor form in that game. :rolleyes:

Should see all the Tigger supporters replying to Tom Browne's tweet about it asking if he injured himself diving or failing to tackle Dusty in the last term of the grand final, and asking why it took 3 months to find an excuse for his poor form in that game. :rolleyes:
Danger got judged harsh for that game.
For a start he took out their best defender in the first quarter.
That is like gold. Gave us the best chance of winning that game. Just on that alone he was good.
And in gameplay he also wasn't terrible. Kicked a real clutch goal.

I read them last night and had to get out of it cause of how ridiculous the comments were getting

Sammy Simpson update

Geelong rising star Sam Simpson expects to be available for Round 1 as he recovers from post-season shoulder surgery but will be in doubt for the pre-season series.
Simpson, who was a surprise packet during last year’s finals series, underwent the procedure to repair his right shoulder in mid-November after a sickening collision with teammate Sam Menegola in October’s Grand Final.

He hoped to return to main group training in the coming weeks as he eyes a place in the season-opener against Adelaide on March 20.

“That’s definitely the aim,” Simpson said.

“It’s nice to have that to work towards and a bit of motivation there.”

Simpson, 22, was concussed in the final quarter of the decider and has no recollections of the incident but remembers the Grand Final.

He said his recovery remained ahead of schedule.

“It’s definitely slowed me down a bit in regards to my footy content,” he said.

“I had to have four weeks in a sling. That meant I couldn’t really do much but since then, I’ve just been doing a lot of cross training sessions on the bike and arc trainer.

“(I’m) getting back into some running and skills now, which is nice, to progress along.”

Simpson won his place back in the team for the semi-final against Collingwood and, with his composure and class, showed that he was one of the club’s brightest young prospects.

He inked a two-year contract extension at the end of last year and wants to “step it up another level” in 2021.

Simpson was unsure if he would be available for the AAMI Community Series when Geelong welcomes Essendon to GMHBA Stadium on February 18.

The Cats’ second game of the series is against St Kilda on March 4.

“Typically it can take three to four months to get back to normal. I’m just taking it week by week and trying to build the strength back in it now,” he said.

“It can be pretty frustrating at times, especially now getting to watch training and the whole main group back together,”

“Hopefully I can keep building my skills on the side and when I get back in, just slide back in.”

Danger got judged harsh for that game.
For a start he took out their best defender in the first quarter.
That is like gold. Gave us the best chance of winning that game. Just on that alone he was good.
And in gameplay he also wasn't terrible. Kicked a real clutch goal.

True, but he should be too.

He's lauded - particularly by Geelong supporters and sections of the media - as one of, if not THE best player in the competition. An awful lot has been made about how much HE wants a premiership and how much HE deserves it. He's not exactly humble. Plus his finals record in recent years had not been great. There's nothing outrageous at all about expecting him to deliver. Particularly considering against the same opposition in last year's Prelim he faded terribly after half time. To then offer up an even worse game - one terrific goal early and absolutely zero impact after that - absolutely deserves harsh criticism. In the last quarter he was playing for frees and getting outmarked by Jaydn Short.

Finals, and particularly Grand finals, are the ultimate test of teams and players. He along with a few others failed.

He's lauded - particularly by Geelong supporters and sections of the media - as one of, if not THE best player in the competition. An awful lot has been made about how much HE wants a premiership and how much HE deserves it. He's not exactly humble. Plus his finals record in recent years had not been great. There's nothing outrageous at all about expecting him to deliver. Particularly considering against the same opposition in last year's Prelim he faded terribly after half time. To then offer up an even worse game - one terrific goal early and absolutely zero impact after that - absolutely deserves harsh criticism. In the last quarter he was playing for frees and getting outmarked by Jaydn Short.

Finals, and particularly Grand finals, are the ultimate test of teams and players. He along with a few others failed.
It's not like he's Leon Davis or Gary Rohan though. He's still fine and contributes.
I think he's a great player and the single biggest reason by far we keep playing finals.
He's game just doesn't suit going up those extra gears in big finals.
Gotta kick well and handball well and use those skills to help your teammates.
Re. McLeod, Dusty, StevieJ etc
Just not his go. We should have figured that out at least 5 years ago and recruited/developed accordingly.

It's not like he's Leon Davis or Gary Rohan though. He's still fine and contributes.
I think he's a great player and the single biggest reason by far we keep playing finals.
He's game just doesn't suit going up those extra gears in big finals.
Gotta kick well and handball well and use those skills to help your teammates.
Re. McLeod, Dusty, StevieJ etc
Just not his go. We should have figured that out at least 5 years ago and recruited/developed accordingly.

Problem was we were too busy giggling like teenage schoolgirls that he had deigned to grace us with his presence.

He's definitely not Gary Rohan. That's a whole other level. No player should be expected to dominate in every final. No one does either. It's not just that he doesn't produce his best football, more often than not in finals now he doesn't even produce decent football. That's more concerning.

Problem was we were too busy giggling like teenage schoolgirls that he had deigned to grace us with his presence.

He's definitely not Gary Rohan. That's a whole other level. No player should be expected to dominate in every final. No one does either. It's not just that he doesn't produce his best football, more often than not in finals now he doesn't even produce decent football. That's more concerning.
Although played like a star in the first two finals, particularly the first. Was even kicking goals from the boundary. Was the asthma a problem?
In reality though he doesn't take on a game like f0or example a Stevie J or a Scarlett.

You're judging him by what the media say about him, not what he actually says. This is every problem with the modern world in a microcosm

He was more tha decent this year though.
But as I said he's just not that player.
Vision and kicking are flaws and under finals pressure flaws get exposed more.
But it's up to the coaches to realise that Danger time won't win finals.
Unfortunately it took them 4 finals series to figure that out or have the gonads to tell him.
This year they did and we were much better. He was never going to be the man in the GF. And if we tried that they would've destroyed us.
Now that's sorted they need to now finally get the balls to tell him to forget about the Brownlow and rest when injured or sore.
Overall though he's done more than enough for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems Freddy is being moved back to the defender group

Might get him some games back there in 2021.

GO Catters

Lots to like with the footage. Freddie moving well, Max Holmes speed, Smith and Higgins putting in, squad looking crisp.
Will be interesting to see if Scarlo develops into a head coach contender. Got presence, nouce, player respect - big step up though to a head role, need a whole range of skill sets.

He was more tha decent this year though.
But as I said he's just not that player.
Vision and kicking are flaws and under finals pressure flaws get exposed more.
But it's up to the coaches to realise that Danger time won't win finals.
Unfortunately it took them 4 finals series to figure that out or have the gonads to tell him.
This year they did and we were much better. He was never going to be the man in the GF. And if we tried that they would've destroyed us.
Now that's sorted they need to now finally get the balls to tell him to forget about the Brownlow and rest when injured or sore.
Overall though he's done more than enough for us.
Plenty of great players have not starred in Grand Finals - I presume (hope?) that Scott wasn’t relying on Danger for a Normie level performance.
Interesting to compare Dusty and Danger- the later is IMO the better athlete (and probably best in the league) but Dusty is the best one on one player at ground level, pound for pound strength and agility and elite to that as a contested mark and snap - a combination that is supreme in the close quarter combat of GFs. Three NS - that’s freakish.

Think we should treat Danger like they did with the great players in 2007-11 years, part of a group of hugely skilled players that you don’t rely excessively on one or two to win a game, but the collective excellence that made up for individual flaws. We just need more A graders to share the load, that’s the challenge - whether Cameron, Smith and Higgins can bring that is the question.

Last edited:
Plenty of great players have not starred in Grand Finals - I presume (hope?) that Scott wasn’t relying on Danger for a Normie level performance.
Interesting to compare Dusty and Danger- the later is IMO the better athlete (and probably best in the league) but Dusty is the best one on one player at ground level, pound for pound strength and agility and elite to that as a contested mark and snap - a combination that is supreme in the close quarter combat of GFs. Three NS - that’s freakish.

Think we should treat Danger like they did with the great players in 2007-11 years, part of a group of hugely skilled players that you don’t rely excessively on one or two to win a game, but the collective excellence that made up for individual flaws. We just need more A graders to share the load, that’s the challenge - whether Cameron, Smith and Higgins can bring that is the question.
TBH I don't think Scott was relying on Danger to win the Normie or even play a huge part in finals at all. Or Selwood.
It's why we did so well this year.
Hopefully those players can do allright. Guthrie and Menegola have to keep going, that's the main thing I think to do as well next year.

Exciting bit of run.

I can't tell from the footage exactly but right near the end of it he handballs back into the corridor, perhaps a little dangerously, where you can see a fwd with space pointing for a kick near the boundary. If he'd looked up, accelerated a step or two and made that kick...well I've no idea if that's the right play from that camera angle. But that's what happens when you get such little training footage. You lose your mind.

Maybe but I thought we had them already. If you asked which team had more A graders out or Geelong and Richmond I reckon plenty would say us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back