News 2021 pre season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless he works on his match awareness his rig won't stop him getting run down from behind.
A bit more talk out there might help,small to no crowds last season too no excuses something the coaches might look into as well, I think they started to address the the time left in quarters towards the end of the season.It's the little things when you get this close.

A bit more talk out there might help,small to no crowds last season too no excuses something the coaches might look into as well, I think they started to address the the time left in quarters towards the end of the season.It's the little things when you get this close.
Its been his issue since we drafted him. His best matches this season came when he disposed of the ball as soon as he got it. When he has to think, he gets run down.

Against the Power there were a couple of passages of play where he got the ball on the HBF, and pumped the ball instantly to the HFF or CHF. Quick, direct ball movement, opened the game up for our forwards and it took away his weakness of wasting time on the ball.

Its been his issue since we drafted him. His best matches this season came when he disposed of the ball as soon as he got it. When he has to think, he gets run down.

Against the Power there were a couple of passages of play where he got the ball on the HBF, and pumped the ball instantly to the HFF or CHF. Quick, direct ball movement, opened the game up for our forwards and it took away his weakness of wasting time on the ball.
I find it hard judging on tv,we as a team look to piss around with the footy far to much in the back half going sideways, backwards and dinky little 12mtr kicks that often come unstuck, presumably because of limited options forward of the ball or the defensive mindset that I must not chance turning it over, my big hope for season 2021 with Cameron and Hawkins forward is we can again find that risk and reward pay of the past and again back our players in at the one on one contests with the direct footy you allude to.

Does anyone know who our 1 preseason match is against now? Last I checked afl app wasn't updated and can't find info online.

I assume bombers

I thought we played 2 games...first against the Dons, and the second against the Saints.

I thought we played 2 games...first against the Dons, and the second against the Saints.
Things have changed over the past week - due to covid issues (think Sydney Northern Beaches), and various states having various quarantine/self-isolation requirements

The AFL has now decided to only have 1 official practice/pre-season match, and that match will be an intrastate state affair so that that's no travel requirements

I believe teams have been given permission to organise a second unofficial practices match if they wish

Things have changed over the past week - due to covid issues (think Sydney Northern Beaches), and various states having various quarantine/self-isolation requirements

The AFL has now decided to only have 1 official practice/pre-season match, and that match will be an intrastate state affair so that that's no travel requirements

I believe teams have been given permission to organise a second unofficial practices match if they wish
Yeah just trying to figure out which one we're keeping

Yeah just trying to figure out which one we're keeping
K rock Football tweeted that it was the first game being kept but the date had changed as result of the covid restrictions.

Ill try and find Kingy's tweet and post link

GO Catters

I read them last night and had to get out of it cause of how ridiculous the comments were getting

feel like Richmond are looking for a rival but given the weakness of the competition at the top since they started their run of form, they have tried to make us their rival during that period.

it’s not exactly a collingwood geelong 10-11 or a geelong st kilda 09 competition, but it’s all they have.

shows just how much the competition at the top has faded off since equalization measures really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

feel like Richmond are looking for a rival but given the weakness of the competition at the top since they started their run of form, they have tried to make us their rival during that period.

it’s not exactly a collingwood geelong 10-11 or a geelong st kilda 09 competition, but it’s all they have.

shows just how much the competition at the top has faded off since equalization measures really

In terms of finals encounters, it's in the ball park.

Geelong v Collingwood 2007-2011 - 4 finals played, Geelong 3 Collingwood 1 (the 2009 Prelim gets frequently forgotten where we smashed them by 73 points)
Geelong v St. Kilda 2008-2010 - 3 finals played, Geelong 2 St. Kilda 1 (again the 2008 Qualifying final gets overlooked an awful lot)
Geelong v Richmond 2017-2020 - 3 finals played, Geelong 0 Richmond 3

Again highlights to me how the Geelong Collingwood rivalry is really undersold historically. They've met in finals so many times - 6 Grand finals and 5 Prelim finals alone that I can think of - it's so far ahead of most other teams. And unlike Carlton Collingwood too, it continues to be current.

I find it hard judging on tv,we as a team look to piss around with the footy far to much in the back half going sideways, backwards and dinky little 12mtr kicks that often come unstuck, presumably because of limited options forward of the ball or the defensive mindset that I must not chance turning it over, my big hope for season 2021 with Cameron and Hawkins forward is we can again find that risk and reward pay of the past and again back our players in at the one on one contests with the direct footy you allude to.
Scott mentioned that they would still play a defensive style game?? He must have been jocking.

In terms of finals encounters, it's in the ball park.

Geelong v Collingwood 2007-2011 - 4 finals played, Geelong 3 Collingwood 1 (the 2009 Prelim gets frequently forgotten where we smashed them by 73 points)
Geelong v St. Kilda 2008-2010 - 3 finals played, Geelong 2 St. Kilda 1 (again the 2008 Qualifying final gets overlooked an awful lot)
Geelong v Richmond 2017-2020 - 3 finals played, Geelong 0 Richmond 3

Again highlights to me how the Geelong Collingwood rivalry is really undersold historically. They've met in finals so many times - 6 Grand finals and 5 Prelim finals alone that I can think of - it's so far ahead of most other teams. And unlike Carlton Collingwood too, it continues to be current.

good post. Agree with it all.

was angling more so that they have made a rival out of us during their period of dominance, yet our finals games have not really been close at all, and we only got them once during home and away games if I am not mistaken??

the rivalry we had with st kilda was a nail biter of a contest in 09 with barely a kick between it, also in 2010 they got us by barest of margins.

the collingwood one was a bit of a seesaw with a 5 point margin in 07, we smashed them 09, then they reversed it in 2010, then we got them in a nailbiter early 2011, then comfortably got them twice later on including grand final.

hawthorn rivalry speaks for itself.

is the rivalry between us and Richmond actually a close one when you look at results?? Is it genuine or just the closest resemblance they have for a rivalry??

Atkins is a hopeless user of the footy. Why in the world would we play him in defense :think:

I can see it now, Atkins to get games ahead of young Clark and we all wonder what the hell is going on.
Whilst he not a best 22 defender, I could see him being a good player to run with the smaller forwards we have struggled with. It would be him or Bews in the 22.

As a forward I couldn't see him fitting the new strategy much. Extra pressure players in the forward line is just going to block our kpf space up so as a forward he wouldn't even be a depth player.

I like the article because he accepts that his role is gone and is willing to start over as a defender. Even if he's not playing guys like that set the standards and expectations for the younger guys, that nothing is free, and the way into the 22 is listening to the coaches and learning your role

Atkins is a hopeless user of the footy. Why in the world would we play him in defense :think:

I can see it now, Atkins to get games ahead of young Clark and we all wonder what the hell is going on.

Honestly makes sense, Bews shuts down the main threat but the second small forward usually kills us - see Motlop and Dusty in the finals. Playing kolo on a danger small is suicide so Atkins is a good back up. Would still play Clarke and anyone attacking over him though but Scotts gonna be Scott

Scott mentioned that they would still play a defensive style game?? He must have been jocking.

you do realize the most defensive side in the AFL is Richmond yeah?

their ball movement forward is designed to get it forward, and if a turnover occurs that they swarm and get the ball back off the opposition. Richmond deny opposition teams turnover scoring opportunities against them, making any turnovers a very rushed hack forward that their very well disciplined defensive structure are ready to pick off. You rarely see clean turnovers against Richmond that result in scores. They are the best in the business at limiting scores from turnovers. Which is a ball movement mindset

their attitude is first and foremost defensive, even the way they attack has defensive first attitude engrained

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back