MRP / Trib. 2022 MRO Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Any truth to the rumour I'm starting that the hearing took so long because they had to tally up the Brownlow votes before making a decision?

Gil insisted on using it as a practice for the big night so had to get his hair done, suit on, warm up his vocal chords..

P...... Cripps............
3 votes

FMD Kelly got a week for doing an action that might have hurt someone
Cripps did an action that did hurt someone and gets nothing
What a farce - Victorian competition for Victorian teams and supporters
Yup its a farce

rule for one rules for the others

The cripps saga has totally overshadowed Kelly pathetic tribunal verdict

Do you believe during the finals they will ping players for what Kelly did...the answer is A BLATANT No....

biased as f&&&

What a load of s**t.
"Can you contest the ball and bump at the same time?"
Well yes you can people do and if their shoulder hits someone's head while they are doing it they usually get a suspension.

FFS Willie had outstretched arms in a marking contest and eyes for the footy.
Cripps was a loose ball scenario didnt have arms out etc. Tucked everything in and lead with the shoulder.

Convenient that the appeals judge found an error of law that could allow him to overturn the decision.
Smells like Barry Hall in '05 where the AFL provided Barry's defense for him bringing their attention to a pre-season video that errantly said 50m off the ball is still in play.

The problem was Cripps leaping into the air to gather a loose ball, which he didn’t need to do.

AFL needs to say, “if you leave your feet other than in a marking contest and collect someone high, you’re taken to have bumped”. If that’s what they want the rule to be, say so.

It’s obvious to everyone with any football knowledge that Cripps was out to make a physical statement and getting the ball was not a serious consideration. In taking this action he hit Ah Chee directly in the head and concussed him. Lucky to get only two weeks. If the AFL is at all concerned with head injuries then this is an action that needs to be punished and banned.

How he was acquitted is mind boggling and inexplicable. The justification for clearing him was some legal mumbo jumbo which has all the appearance of a show trial. Very disturbing outcome. If a WC player did something similar the Victorian media which has a big say in these matters would be out with pitchforks to burn him at the stake.
Where do we go from here? I hope Carlton lose both their games which they should anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People keep getting outraged like this is some sort of sporting comp .

It's an entertainment business .

What is good for the business is cripps playing , Carlton potentially making finals and cripps being eligible for the brownlow .

When you start thinking what is the best outcome $ wise for the afl the decision is pretty obvious

What is good for the business is cripps playing , Carlton potentially making finals and cripps being eligible for the brownlow .

When you start thinking what is the best outcome $ wise for the afl the decision is pretty obvious

The AFL rubbed him out and the AFL Tribunal upheld that. It was only the appeals board that let him off on a very technical argument about procedural fairness. Which the AFL fought, with a QC leading the argument, and then reportedly considered appealing to a court.

I don’t think “the AFL let him off because it’s good for business” is anything close to what actually happened. It’s a neat story though.

OF course it is.
I think most people appreciate this but the outrage is because it is a sport most of us have grown up loving and campaigners like McLaughlin and Demitriou have turned it into a corporate s**t show.
Even dealing with grassroots footy these days is teidious with the administrative burden put on clubs so the AFL can control everything.
I cant see myself watching footy in a few years, just getting less and less interested the more they change the sport. * TV rights, * their gambling sponsorship and * the AFL.

I must say that this season I am so disinterested in the AFL that I really couldn't give a stuff about Cripps getting off (or Kelly getting done TBH). I do have to say though that these sort of inconsistencies have been happening for as long as I can remember.

OF course it is.
I think most people appreciate this but the outrage is because it is a sport most of us have grown up loving and campaigners like McLaughlin and Demitriou have turned it into a corporate s**t show.
Even dealing with grassroots footy these days is teidious with the administrative burden put on clubs so the AFL can control everything.
I cant see myself watching footy in a few years, just getting less and less interested the more they change the sport. * TV rights, * their gambling sponsorship and * the AFL.
Don't get me started on the gambling sponsorship.

As soon as the gambling advertising goes the same way as smoking advertisements the better .

Don't get me started on the gambling sponsorship.

As soon as the gambling advertising goes the same way as smoking advertisements the better .
It kind of sums up the hyppocricy of this league but doesn't it?

AFL employees have a $10 flutter with their sponsors on a neutral game and they get a bigger suspension than Paddy Cripps knocking out 5 men. Meanwhile they give live broadcasts to ex players encouraging gamblers to gamble with a laughably useless byline of gamble responsibly.
They are worried about the effects of kids not playing the sport because mum thinks its too rough so lets change the rules but its OK to normalise and encourage those same kids to gamble on footy cos its as big a part of the game as oranges at half time.

It makes a mockery of the whole "the head is sacrosanct" line they have been spouting doesn't it?

They should change it to "the head is sacrosanct...unless it impacts our bottom line then we don't care if you end up with a traumatic brain injury."

It’s obvious to everyone with any football knowledge that Cripps was out to make a physical statement and getting the ball was not a serious consideration. In taking this action he hit Ah Chee directly in the head and concussed him. Lucky to get only two weeks. If the AFL is at all concerned with head injuries then this is an action that needs to be punished and banned.

How he was acquitted is mind boggling and inexplicable. The justification for clearing him was some legal mumbo jumbo which has all the appearance of a show trial. Very disturbing outcome. If a WC player did something similar the Victorian media which has a big say in these matters would be out with pitchforks to burn him at the stake.
Where do we go from here? I hope Carlton lose both their games which they should anyway.

I believe when filling out the appeal papers, where it had "Do not write on this page" the AFL counsel wrote "Ok"
Cripps plays this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back