VFL 2022 VFL R4 v GWS (Sat 16-Apr 2.05pm @ AIA Centre, Olympic Park) [Stream: AFL app & https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/4189]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not if he doesn’t transform into a really strong, penetrating kick. No too-tier team can have poor kicks on the HBF. Turnovers exiting defence are disastrous.
Hence the developing part, happy to see how it plays out, god knows we need a few to come from the rafters or the next window will be the start of the next rebuild.

I loved Schazz but once the speed was gone (not his fault) he wasn't going to play any other position, cruelled by fate, not by coach.

never saw the hype in him from day dot, always looked a yard slow and that height where he couldn’t play key back. Played very safe football, not attacking at all. Created zero rebound

never saw the hype in him from day dot, always looked a yard slow and that height where he couldn’t play key back. Played very safe football, not attacking at all. Created zero rebound
Choko Williams said he was the best prospect he'd seen since Wayne Carey (no pressure) so he must have ripped it up as a kid.

I think for some posters it's satisfying to take pot shots at highly touted players who didn't make it - even if they were plagued by injuries.
I remember having a keen Glenelg supporter (I live in that area) say to me how well we had done when we drafted him. He (and I) knew how highly he was regarded at the time, and it appeared we had a future superstar on our books. We were desperately unlucky with what happened with Matt Scharenberg, as he could have been a great player for us for a decade or so.

Last edited:
I was the same - just no intent with or without the ball. Started to slowly warm to him in 2018, when he played as a tall and was reading the ball flight exceptionally, but then he got injured again.

Last edited:
Shaz would have been a premiership player in 2018 if he didn’t do his acl late in season

We lost that game to Richmond, yeah?

I’m not sure we were the team we would become yet, and equally unsure that we would have done so with Scharenberg in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaz would have been a premiership player in 2018 if he didn’t do his acl late in season

He wouldn’t have come close to being picked if Reid Moore and Dunn were also available for selection. Goldsack only just made it back into the team after a year long ACL and was underdone, and Treloar was also half fit after recovering from a double hammy.

There are lots of things that could have got Collingwood over the line in 2018 including an umpiring decision….Shaz is well down that list.

Last edited:
We lost that game to Richmond, yeah?

I’m not sure we were the team we would become yet, and equally unsure that we would have done so with Scharenberg in the side.
Completely agree regarding Shazza but the attitude of some here claiming he never was any good reeks of keyboard warriors.

A number of very good football judges rated him through the roof.

He wouldn’t have come close to being picked if Reid Moore and Dunn were also available for selection. Goldsack only just made it back into the team after a year long ACL and was underdone, and Treloar was also half fit after recovering from a double hammy.

There are lots of things that could have got Collingwood over the line in 2018 including an umpiring decision….Shaz is well down that list.

Wells did that medial too didn’t he? Had he been fit….

I remember having a keen Glenelg supporter (I live in that area) say to me how well we had done when we drafted him. He (and I) knew how highly he was regarded at the time, and it appeared we had a future superstar on our books. We were desperately unlucky with what happened with Matt Scharenberg, as he could have been a great player for us for a decade or so.

Sharenberg also the other young bloke who did That never ending hammy. Two top 10 picks who should be dominating right now.

Sharenberg also the other young bloke who did That never ending hammy. Two top 10 picks who should be dominating right now.

Freeman. Maybe, but I never rated him even at drafting.

Yeah, his kicking was always a bit dodgy. But he racked them up. A real Treloar type.

His kicking was mediocre, his vision was non-existent. Ran himself into trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back