Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how Willo would go on a wing. We clearly haven't worked out who's best suited and I'd say he's a fair way back in the pecking order for the half back roles he has played previously. He would certainly add some overlap running and dash to the role. Also delivers it nicely to the fwds.
If either Walker or Clark were unavailable who would you bring in? I think Wilson is the best option.

He played in the match sim a week ago, but injured his finger.

His back half of last season was exceptional. Played a bit in defence toward the very end for a few games.

I like him a lot.
He seems to be getting played as a defender.

It looks like the Purple Brains Trust sees our future wings coming from O'Driscoll plus one of the 4 used in the scratchie, and Wagner (perhaps)?

Hughes, Henry, Williams and Whatsisname.

Will we go after Sharp again?

My favourite part of the recent reports is discovering that the movement to fix up those awfully barren sand banks is gaining traction! 😍

The lads showcasing some pre-season skills..

Then Banners just being Banners :sweatsmile: (bless him) - probably giving away a free before the editor moves to another highlight!

Kuek looked way more impressive from thosw highlights than what was reported on here!

I wonder how Willo would go on a wing. We clearly haven't worked out who's best suited and I'd say he's a fair way back in the pecking order for the half back roles he has played previously. He would certainly add some overlap running and dash to the role. Also delivers it nicely to the fwds.
I’ve wanted this for the last 3 seasons. Maybe he doesn’t have the tank?

Nathan has carried below the belly button injury for most of the last three to four years. Numb feet from jabs, back issues, toe problems etc.

All make it really hard to build the tank to run the wing
Fair enough.

My preference is rotating 3 through the wings though, and that's a great use of Aish's versatility.

Pending availability I think O'Driscoll, Henry and Aish are the most likely 3.

Legit issue for first timers (like me!). Still got bite marks from a week ago!
I sat there , I have a small low seat which is always in my car that I use due to dodgy right knee just high enough to stop the ants . The guy next to me was sitting on the ground and the ants were having a field day with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the opinion from the training watchers on Tabs?

I get the impression that Treacy and Amiss are showing form where Tabs isn’t, would this be correct?

If so, I wonder whether previous years runs on the board are taken into account or preseason form is the guide.

I also wonder if Henry will have to prove himself in the wafl first or whether his preseason form gets him a game.

Worner played some good WAFL games on the Wing. I expect this move to HBF is to develop his game and increase position diversification.

Wilson as mentioned doesn’t have the tank for full time wing. He does seem to be covering the ground well so could rotate through Wing for short stints. He has been getting upfield and delivering i50 and kicking goals. So whether he starts HBF or wing he is filling that role somewhat.

Wagner has a very good tank. His best position seems to be HBF as well but can definitely run through the wing. Then there is Hayden Young and Jordan Clark. Both are also capable of playing deep defensive wing, with their best positions and starting 22 off HBF. Chapman has been mentioned but he really seems to be playing back pocket/third tall.

My tip for round 1:
Henry and NOD (Hughes on standby). Aish will also run through the wing position during the game. Frederick looks likely to miss but if fit he could also run through the wing during the game.

I get the impression that Treacy and Amiss are showing form where Tabs isn’t, would this be correct?

If so, I wonder whether previous years runs on the board are taken into account or preseason form is the guide.

I also wonder if Henry will have to prove himself in the wafl first or whether his preseason form gets him a game.

Nothing is locked in yet - plenty can happen and usually does between now and round 1.

Ta

Tabs for the Doig! He’ll run amok with all the forward options open to the midfield. Defences won’t know who to guard.

It's impossible to know at this stage, the preseason matches will tell us more.

Tabs is experienced and would know to build slowly as he has runs on the board, whereas Treacy needs to impress immediately.

I said based solely on what I saw yesterday that JT would be picked, but for all we know Tabs is keeping himself in first gear and JTs in fifth. Just have to be patient and see if Tabs ramps it up over the next two weeks.

Willow replaces Walker…..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was thinking the same thing about Willow , he would make an outstanding winger , the thought of Drizzy on one wing and Wilson on the other makes me salivate, wilson kicking it to our leading forwards or taking an on the run shot from outside 50m is all I need to want to see it tried.
Honestly have been calling for this for years, especially as a solution to fitting more talent into the back 6

I feel like Fyfe is the key to unlock our forward line, if he is kicking goals he will draw all the opposition attention. The challenge would be not kicking to him too much but trying to spread who we kick to as evenly as possible.

Is Wilson over Walker for r1 a possibility?

Worner played some good WAFL games on the Wing. I expect this move to HBF is to develop his game and increase position diversification.

Wilson as mentioned doesn’t have the tank for full time wing. He does seem to be covering the ground well so could rotate through Wing for short stints. He has been getting upfield and delivering i50 and kicking goals. So whether he starts HBF or wing he is filling that role somewhat.

Wagner has a very good tank. His best position seems to be HBF as well but can definitely run through the wing. Then there is Hayden Young and Jordan Clark. Both are also capable of playing deep defensive wing, with their best positions and starting 22 off HBF. Chapman has been mentioned but he really seems to be playing back pocket/third tall.

My tip for round 1:
Henry and NOD (Hughes on standby). Aish will also run through the wing position during the game. Frederick looks likely to miss but if fit he could also run through the wing during the game.
If Worner was a contender for best 22 wing he would have played there. Not saying he isn't an option. And previous reports were he lacked some depth in his kicking, so perhaps a defensive minded wing may be where he is headed.

I feel like Fyfe is the key to unlock our forward line, if he is kicking goals he will draw all the opposition attention. The challenge would be not kicking to him too much but trying to spread who we kick to as evenly as possible.

Is Wilson over Walker for r1 a possibility?
I think they have committed to the future regarding Wilson and Walker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back