Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear BettercallSaul

Last Chance Salon vs Last Chance Saloon: Whatever you do don't order hair curlers next time you are in a saloon, it may be your last order :)
You haven’t seen my hairdresser ”ole mad dog Megan Mcmad”. I saw her take out two blokes with a curling iron merely for asking for “a bit more off the top”.
😜

I think they have committed to the future regarding Wilson and Walker.

As a club we should be committed to sustained success. Bringing in JOM will likely cost Raz his spot but will allow him to become a better player. If willo is better atm then it should be Walker who develops in the 2’s to become a better player and affording us sustained success. We have some élite young talent that will need to bide their time for the betterment of the club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we all just cut out a corner of our lawn, we can lay the turf ourselves and call it something commemorative...be a nice random checker board of green lol

Anyways, cheers to all the observers and the great commentary. You get a square of grass, and YOU get a square of grass. You all get a square of grass!!

He seems to be getting played as a defender.

It looks like the Purple Brains Trust sees our future wings coming from O'Driscoll plus one of the 4 used in the scratchie, and Wagner (perhaps)?

Hughes, Henry, Williams and Whatsisname.

Will we go after Sharp again?
NOD went back in 2021 as a learning tool to work on some things. Hoping it's the same plan. I like Warner as a wing.

If Worner was a contender for best 22 wing he would have played there. Not saying he isn't an option. And previous reports were he lacked some depth in his kicking, so perhaps a defensive minded wing may be where he is headed.
From what I’ve seen whilst inconsistent and playing some good games from the wing he is well down the pecking order for a starting B22. I would agree with you that he has been offensive style winger, and his opposing winger would get plenty of the ball. They need him to improve his defensive traits. A stint HBF will help with that development.

As a club we should be committed to sustained success. Bringing in JOM will likely cost Raz his spot but will allow him to become a better player. If willo is better atm then it should be Walker who develops in the 2’s to become a better player and affording us sustained success. We have some élite young talent that will need to bide their time for the betterment of the club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Wilson had a four year contract like O'Meara does I'd agree with you.

Colyer may be a marginally better option than (say) Henry, but I'd be spewing if we preferred him.

Last edited:
I feel like Fyfe is the key to unlock our forward line, if he is kicking goals he will draw all the opposition attention. The challenge would be not kicking to him too much but trying to spread who we kick to as evenly as possible.

Is Wilson over Walker for r1 a possibility?
I’m only going to go on the fantastic sim reports we have had the last 3 weeks regards our forward line
I’ll make the call and those that have been there feel free to smack away my opinions.
It just seems to me the leading patterns with Fyfe , JT and amiss really set the tone for the ball movement upfield.
The sim games are not full minutes but there are a lot of opportunities created.
We are talking about 3 blokes who have never played together before
But on Friday there were a few comments how they all had seperate leading patterns.
If In the first 6 weeks our mosquito fleet gets used to people taking marks and adjusts I think we will post some big scores
There’s a lot if derogatory stuff on Fyfe
But please think of Fyfe 4 years ago with his body being right in the forward line
You want protection for our kids ( treacy and amiss )

With Jackson there as well
For the first time in years our smalls are going to be protected.
I’m sorry but Taberners constant leading to the right boundary has been a liability for years
Now we have young talent who over summer are exciting and deserve first crack

Cheers everybody

I’m only going to go on the fantastic sim reports we have had the last 3 weeks regards our forward line
I’ll make the call and those that have been there feel free to smack away my opinions.
It just seems to me the leading patterns with Fyfe , JT and amiss really set the tone for the ball movement upfield.
The sim games are not full minutes but there are a lot of opportunities created.
We are talking about 3 blokes who have never played together before
But on Friday there were a few comments how they all had seperate leading patterns.
If In the first 6 weeks our mosquito fleet gets used to people taking marks and adjusts I think we will post some big scores
There’s a lot if derogatory stuff on Fyfe
But please think of Fyfe 4 years ago with his body being right in the forward line
You want protection for our kids ( treacy and amiss )

With Jackson there as well
For the first time in years our smalls are going to be protected.
I’m sorry but Taberners constant leading to the right boundary has been a liability for years
Now we have young talent who over summer are exciting and deserve first crack

Cheers everybody
It's definitely a weakness that our forwards are not established and aren't familiar with each other's game, but they are smart footabllers and difficult match ups for oppositions.

One thing I think that will be an underrated trait of O'Meara's will be his week to week consistency. Just like Aish, every week at the bare minimum you are going to get a 7/10 performance, just week to week backing it up and playing at a consistently good level and on top of this is the added bonus of throwing in a 9/10 influential performance every 3-5 games.

With the greatest respect to the legend that is Dave Mundy, he definitely had some old timer moments last year. The change from Mundy in his last year to Omeara right now in our starting mid lineup will give us a much better defensive pressure, two way running unit in the midfield and give our backline an improved chance to intercept higher up ground and dominate field position. Great addition.

I think Aish and O'Meara are incredibly similar while having the perfect balance of being the opposite (bare with me). One leaning on the defensive side of the game and the other just as equally on the offensive side, but both executing their role in the 22 every week without doubt. The yin and yang of our team.

Fyfster:
'Worner found the ball a bit albeit some easy kick out receives , But still a very solid game and a debut this year would not surprise.
Josh Treacey and Jye Amiss are two names I want to see in our forward line for many years to come They can both be on the field together as their styles are so different JT was particularly good in the first three quarters and rucked in Darcy's absence and did well.
Nat Fyfe is building nicely towards the start of the season, You do do know he is cruising around in second gear don't you ?
He switches into 3rd Mid March:)'

Thanks Fyfster. Appreciated your comments. Would be very happy to see my buddy Worner get a game this season.

Love the image of Fyfe still being in second gear. So much to look forward to.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fyfe definitely had the Grey defence scrambling.

At one stage the ball was bobbling loose near goals and the Greys seemingly had it covered for numbers, but you could tell there was an increasing level of panic from them as Fyfe closed in.

That menacing presence Fyfe has will do that to a few defences this year no doubt and really add to the forward potency as a whole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfster:
'Worner found the ball a bit albeit some easy kick out receives , But still a very solid game and a debut this year would not surprise.
Josh Treacey and Jye Amiss are two names I want to see in our forward line for many years to come They can both be on the field together as their styles are so different JT was particularly good in the first three quarters and rucked in Darcy's absence and did well.
Nat Fyfe is building nicely towards the start of the season, You do do know he is cruising around in second gear don't you ?
He switches into 3rd Mid March:)'

Thanks Fyfster. Appreciated your comments. Would be very happy to see my buddy Worner get a game this season.

Love the image of Fyfe still being in second gear. So much to look forward to.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fyfe in third gear is pretty good. I'm just hoping he's still got fourth, fifth and sixth, because we're flying if he can get there.

There have been some interesting reports of Treacy playing as a second ruck in the scratch matches.

I seem to recall him playing a similar role at some stage in 2021 and being quite effective as a ruck/midfielder. As a forward who could take a turn in the midfield he would be a valuable asset to the team.

As a young player he is still building his tank to AFL level but certainly seems to be fired up for a tilt at being in the team this season.

While he is still quite raw there are good signs he is making good progress this pre-season.

I think there's a good chance L.Henry might play Round 1 on the wing judging by the amount of time he's played there this pre-season, and the amount of pill he's been getting and the involvement from therein. Has his ball use been good/effective? For ayone watching him closely, has he been involved physically/aggressive? Not just doing 'flashy' stuff?

Would love to see him step up, he put on a bit of bulk last year without looking monster. There's a lot there to work with, it's just a case of whether it can be maximised.

Also if Nod doesn't get up, does that mean we might see Hughes play the other wing and be like an Acres replacement, a bigger more defensive body perhaps covering ground and doing some 1 percenters type stuff? Who else has been rolled through the wing? Aish?

At one stage the ball was bobbling loose near goals and the Greys seemingly had it covered for numbers, but you could tell there was an increasing level of panic from them as Fyfe closed in.

That menacing presence Fyfe has will do that to a few defences this year no doubt and really add to the forward potency as a whole.

You nailed it.

Fyfe will be impossible to match up on and create panic. Amiss, Tabbs and the mosquito fleet will be cashing in big time.

I think there's a good chance L.Henry might play Round 1 on the wing judging by the amount of time he's played there this pre-season, and the amount of pill he's been getting and the involvement from therein. Has his ball use been good/effective? For ayone watching him closely, has he been involved physically/aggressive? Not just doing 'flashy' stuff?

Would love to see him step up, he put on a bit of bulk last year without looking monster. There's a lot there to work with, it's just a case of whether it can be maximised.

Also if Nod doesn't get up, does that mean we might see Hughes play the other wing and be like an Acres replacement, a bigger more defensive body perhaps covering ground and doing some 1 percenters type stuff? Who else has been rolled through the wing? Aish?
From what I've seen when watching it specifically, Henry has been running excellent wing patterns, holding position to be in best areas to link up the transition play.

He's done well in contested play and often has multiple involvements when things get tight to help exit to advantage, showing good composure.

Flashy's ok for the wing, if anywhere, but he's got substance in what he does. Evidenced in that he's got status in the team... they will look for him in the contest and you often hear teammates call and urge him on when something is needed.

There have been some interesting reports of Treacy playing as a second ruck in the scratch matches.

I seem to recall him playing a similar role at some stage in 2021 and being quite effective as a ruck/midfielder. As a forward who could take a turn in the midfield he would be a valuable asset to the team.

As a young player he is still building his tank to AFL level but certainly seems to be fired up for a tilt at being in the team this season.

While he is still quite raw there are good signs he is making good progress this pre-season.
I like the way Geelong use Hawkins, and with Jackson, Treacy and Fyfe potentially available in whatever combination we could dominate inside 50 stoppages. Serong and Switkowski jetting around at their feet or on the outside, walters with a glint in his eye. Darcy loitering to grab any clearance kick.

From what I've seen when watching it specifically, Henry has been running excellent wing patterns, holding position to be in best areas to link up the transition play.

He's done well in contested play and often has multiple involvements when things get tight to help exit to advantage, showing good composure.

Flashy's ok for the wing, if anywhere, but he's got substance in what he does. Evidenced in that he's got status in the team... they will look for him in the contest and you often hear teammates call and urge him on when something is needed.
this is so encouraging and great to read. Obviously Henry came under a criticism cloud last year and prior....can't wait to see if this directly translates into a game day. I really hope he makes it, no doubt the kid can play :)

Fyfe in the forward line circa 2023.

T2FuP8.gif

Well... At least our preseason is going better than Port Adelaide's. Far out.

Chad Cornes on the intra-club: "We're going to need to be better, there wasn't a lot to love about it. It was really scrappy, not the way we've trained, might be a good one to move on from"

Yikes.
Harsh indeed, but I kinda love the honesty

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back