Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve said once or twice in the training reports I’ve done that I’ve been critical of Tabs in n the past for leading too wide and taking things in the pocket. Hard to know if it’s coached or not for sure.

As Ive watched this year it is very evident that Fyfe, Amiss and Treacy all lead much more up the middle than Tabs.

What isn’t clear to me remains whether that’s the plan or not. Does Tabs take it wide because they’re sending the others up the guts? Maybe.

No doubt Tabs is Rd1 starter. But he’ll get surpassed at some point in the not so distant future and I wouldn’t rule it out from happening this year. Without injury I think it’s unlikely but certainly not impossible.

Last edited:
I’ve said once or twice in the training reports I’ve done that I’ve been critical of Tabs in n the past for leading too wide and taking things in the pocket. Hard to know if it’s coached or not for sure.

As Ive watched this year it is very evident that Fyfe, Amiss and Treacy all lead much more up the middle than Tabs.

What isn’t clear to me remains whether that’s the plan or not. Does Tabs take it wide because they’re sending the others up the guts? Maybe.

No doing Tabs is Rd1 starter. But he’ll get surpassed at some point in the not so distant future and I wouldn’t rule it out from happening this year. Without injury I think it’s unlikely but certainly not impossible.
It's on the coaches in this situation. Either Taberner is doing what he is instructed, or if he doesn't come into line, Peel is where he should be playing. He's had a long career so I assume that's the plan.

Let's say Sturt is tearing it up in the WAFL...

What would you do?

Taberner?

For mine, Sturt could play in place of Walters as the HFF sharpshooter or as backup to Frederick as the fast HFF (although Johnson would also be tempting for this kind of backup and also have the added benefit of being able to fill in elsewhere as well), maybe a backup for Shultz as well. I wouldn't replace Taberner with him; I think if Taberner is not going well we play whomever is not in the team of Amiss or Treacy.

No doing Tabs is Rd1 starter. But he’ll get surpassed at some point in the not so distant future and I wouldn’t rule it out from happening this year. Without injury I think it’s unlikely but certainly not impossible.
Interesting post, illuminating post - I'm starting to sound like Hutcho from Footy Classified, that not good.

But the bolded part, what does it mean?! Hahaha, is it a typo?

Doing = doubt?

Literally every single pre season this board undervalues and under appreciates Tabs.

Every single year when fit and healthy Tabs shuts them up, yet here we are again.

Amazing
Yep, he’s good for 2 goals a game, the issue is availability. He plays if fit without question and if Amiss or Treacy can go past him already this year we’re winning the flag very soon.

Literally every single pre season this board undervalues and under appreciates Tabs.

Every single year when fit and healthy Tabs shuts them up, yet here we are again.

Amazing
It would be a bold bold move for us to try and lead our attack with talls aged 20 (JT), 19 (Amiss) and 21 (Jackson)

Taberner is an absolute must when fit

It would be a bold bold move for us to try and lead our attack with talls aged 20 (JT), 19 (Amiss) and 21 (Jackson)

Taberner is an absolute must when fit

Would it still be bold if the attack also includes Walters (32 years old), Fyfe (31 years old), Shultz (25 years old) and Switkowski (26 years old)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it still be bold if the attack also includes Walters (32 years old), Fyfe (31 years old), Shultz (25 years old) and Switkowski (26 years old)?
Yes absolutely would still be bold, those are all smalls (Fyfe debatable but has never played a season as a KPF so its like having 4 brand new KPF's)

Taberner is essential if we want to make finals/challenge this year

Have to remember that statistically talls take more time to find their feet

For mine, Sturt could play in place of Walters as the HFF sharpshooter or as backup to Frederick as the fast HFF (although Johnson would also be tempting for this kind of backup and also have the added benefit of being able to fill in elsewhere as well), maybe a backup for Shultz as well. I wouldn't replace Taberner with him; I think if Taberner is not going well we play whomever is not in the team of Amiss or Treacy.
To me the screamingly obvious if Sturt was killing it in the WAFL is Fyfe to the midfield. They're not like for like but they are more like for like than the options you're suggesting. He can lead and mark, has a decent leap, and projects as difficult match up.

Interesting post, illuminating post - I'm starting to sound like Hutcho from Footy Classified, that not good.

But the bolded part, what does it mean?! Hahaha, is it a typo?

Doing = doubt?
Thanks for the correction. Yes it was doubt so have done the required edit.

To me the screamingly obvious if Sturt was killing it in the WAFL is Fyfe to the midfield. They're not like for like but they are more like for like than the options you're suggesting. He can lead and mark, has a decent leap, and projects as difficult match up.
...and if Fyfe is killing it in the AFL (entirely) as a forward?

Most of the media comments about freo seem to be a query on depth based on the players who left last year ?
I’m curious who would be in the top 23 at this stage out of that group ?
Couldn’t fit any of them in. Except maybe Lobb and that would be debatable.

Most of the media comments about freo seem to be a query on depth based on the players who left last year ?
I’m curious who would be in the top 23 at this stage out of that group ?
Lobb and Acres. They like to mention logues 6th b&f but there is no way he’d be in our b22 at this point.

Couldn’t fit any of them in. Except maybe Lobb and that would be debatable.
Nah, it really wouldn't be. He's no elite KPF but he's a proven AFL standard KPF.

I rate Amiss very highly but anything more than a goal a game is a bonus for a second year tall. Don't rate Treacy as highly but same goes for him in his third year. Both can make it but they're not ready to be the players we need based off last year. Hopefully this year they're ready to take a step in the right direction.

Not concerned at all by the other four leaving. Acres might've been best 22 but isn't a massive upgrade. I'd expect us to find a way to fit Logue in of he was here but realistically he's not as good as Pearce or Cox and isn't a forward whatsoever.

"I’ve said once or twice in the training reports I’ve done that I’ve been critical of Tabs in n the past for leading too wide and taking things in the pocket. Hard to know if it’s coached or not for sure."

Tabs leads to the pocket/flank that favours his left foot kick. Watch his replays and he nails almost all of them. I am happy to keep him out of the way of Amiss, Treacy.

...and if Fyfe is killing it in the AFL (entirely) as a forward?
Leave him forward of course.

And if Fyfe is doing that I think bringing Sturt IN would likely be at the expense of a KPF.

If our forward line is functioning Sturt would bide his time or replace an underperformer. He hasn't developed the flexibility to justify inclusion otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back