Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 - West Coast Eagles v GWS Giants, 6.20 pm (AEDT) Sunday 26 March @ Optus Stadium WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think we're playing better than either of those teams?
I'd say we're going better than NM but not the Saints, but either way - two swallows does not a summer make. Plus the AFL is so perpetually locked in to Victoria that we could finish above every Victorian team for 30 years and it won't make a bar of difference if they decide to send a club to Tassie.
If the Giants finish below them, even at the half way mark this season, the Vic-bias media will make a point of it.
Welcome to "I don't bother reading media about the Giants" 101. :)

I think a fair assessment of our game on the weekend- and 100% agree with the view on Toby

GWS GIANTS club banner

The negative: Eight-goal second quarter sinks the Giants

For the GWS Giants, it’s a case of when it rains, it pours. After allowing the Adelaide Crows to kick eight of the first 12 goals of the match in Round 1, the Giants could not stop the rot in the second quarter against the West Coast Eagles in Round 2.

The Eagles kicked eight goals to two in the second term including a run of six straight goals. Despite the Giants rallying in the second half and making the score respectable, the match was all but over midway through the third term.

The positive: Captain Toby leading the way

For two weeks in a row, Toby Greene has led from the front as captain and has inspired his teammates to follow. Another four-goal effort in a team that was soundly beaten across the park is no easy feat and the two-time All Australian seems to have matured and removed the ill-disciplined aspect to his game.

What they need to tweak for next week: Stop the momentum swings

The Giants and Eagles were largely equal in all the key stats but what ultimately killed GWS was the shocking second quarter in which they were outscored 51 points to 13. If the Giants had stemmed the bleeding somewhat, they could’ve been in with a chance to win the game.

The Giants host Carlton in Round 3 who possess weapons in their forward line and midfield with the likes of Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Patrick Cripps and Adam Cerra. The Giants mustn’t allow Carlton to score goals in clusters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back