Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN: Cincotta, McGovern

OUT: Saad (hamstring), De Koning (managed), Plowman

NEW:
Cincotta (debut)

After starting last weekend as substitute, Josh Honey has been elevated into the 22.

Round 6 Team v St Kilda
Backs:Jacob WeiteringNic NewmanLewis Young
Half-backs:Alex Cincotta (DEBUT)Mitch McGovernBlake Acres
Centreline:Sam WalshPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Lachie CowanEd CurnowJosh Honey
Matthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Tom De KoningBrodie KempLochie O'Brien
Lachie Plowman

I agree. Thus he is a bust unless he plays in a position where the ball finds him. His best hope is as a rebounding defender IMO.
Harsh based on 13 games.

This time last year he was the next big thing on here. Now Kemp has moved to that spot.

He's probably always going to look average in his role when we play as badly as we did last week where opportunities are very limited. Thought that Durdin and Motlop struggled as well.

Hopefully the ball spends a bit of time in our forwardline and he can reward the faith that is being shown in him.

Just seems that everyone on here wants to take pot shots at players at the moment. Surely it's in the clubs interests if he can make it.

Glad we got to the real reason

Whether it's flu or a slight injury like a corky, managed is more than adequate, IMHO

But, perhaps this topic is for the Blue Healer thread
It’s not the first time I have stated this. Perhaps you missed it. It’s a reasonable position. As is yours. We just have different views.

Moves fast & carry’s momentum- is quicker than most (not lightning) but is powerful so can bust thru/take a bump and keep going

Cincotta always beats the first tackler and draws in another opposition player. It’s a trait not many of our defenders or players have.

It really opens up the backline and allows a fast counter attack if it’s on. I’m excited to see him get a go and I think he’ll do well.

Actually when the opposition rucks move around the centre circle to take your space or leap, and you don’t counter attack, it’s more to do with coaching. If the ruckman, is too slow to react, then the coach instructs. Nothing has changed and it’s been more than one week. Positioning around the ground is another. Just bits of what I’ve noticed and I’m definitely not concentrating on individuals or specific lines and setups.
Sack kruezer

A quality AFL footy 2 M + Ruckman , must have a basic skill set to be successful, Good IQ & mobility and able to kick the ball and distribute ball well, as in most positions, anything less is just a temporary solution & part time fill gap measure.
We’ve been in need of a quality AFL Ruckman for quite a few years.
Totally agree - cripps was best with kruezer even though he was younger -- he is our number one asset and we haven't helped him by giving him sub standard rucks .. we have take. Everyone rubbish since 2014.

Aside from the fact it is The Stains and their awful fans, the worst thing if we lose (aside from any more potential injuries) is we are going to be flooded with posts that we should have hired Ross Lyon instead of Vossy.

Anyhow we are well overdue to smack the Stains again, I am rather bullish about our chances even without Saad.
Hopefully Vossy goes on to be a premiership winning coach with us. Right now at this stage I am really unsure about him. By the end of the season, depending on how thing play out, we should all be able to have a much better idea, as to his coaching nous.

Harsh based on 13 games.

This time last year he was the next big thing on here. Now Kemp has moved to that spot.

He's probably always going to look average in his role when we play as badly as we did last week where opportunities are very limited. Thought that Durdin and Motlop struggled as well.

Hopefully the ball spends a bit of time in our forwardline and he can reward the faith that is being shown in him.

Just seems that everyone on here wants to take pot shots at players at the moment. Surely it's in the clubs interests if he can make it.

It is in the club's best interests if he makes it. If all of them make it. I want all of them to succeed. Some players seem to have a knack for reading the play and knowing where the ball is going. Honey doesn't do that. If he could read the play, his speed would see him get to so many more contests ahead of others. It is making me think he is quick and athletic but he doesn't have a footy IQ.

I look at Ollie Hollands and think that he understands where he is needed. He is not always going to get the ball. He is not always going to dispose of it perfectly. But he does run to the right spots.

Motlop reads the play quite well and can inject himself offensively and defensively when required. Yes, he also struggles when the team struggles. Durdin I'm still waiting for more from.

I mean, you can call it a pot shot, but all any of us can do is comment on the way we see things and we don't all see things the same way. For BigFooty's sake, thank god we think differently.

Tell you what though ... if Honey comes out tomorrow and kicks 2, puts on plenty of forward pressure and impresses in passages of play, I'll compliment him for it. I don't have a bent against any of our players. I just have expectations.

Difficult to drop an inside mid...you know with "he who shall not be named" being the only real like4like replacement and all...

Although these days, they could've rationalised dropping Hewett (as an example) and bringing in Lemmey :oops:
Not difficult at all when they aren't even playing inside mid and don't need to be like for like replaced.

TDK’s ruck work has just not been up to par. Below average hitout win. Below average hitout to advantage.

His weaknesses from years gone by have not yet changed. He is ‘backup ruck’ material at the moment and needs to strongly reconsider his view of himself.
He's a back up without a second position.

Alarm bells louder by the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is in the club's best interests if he makes it. If all of them make it. I want all of them to succeed. Some players seem to have a knack for reading the play and knowing where the ball is going. Honey doesn't do that. If he could read the play, his speed would see him get to so many more contests ahead of others. It is making me think he is quick and athletic but he doesn't have a footy IQ.

I look at Ollie Hollands and think that he understands where he is needed. He is not always going to get the ball. He is not always going to dispose of it perfectly. But he does run to the right spots.

Motlop reads the play quite well and can inject himself offensively and defensively when required. Yes, he also struggles when the team struggles. Durdin I'm still waiting for more from.

I mean, you can call it a pot shot, but all any of us can do is comment on the way we see things and we don't all see things the same way. For BigFooty's sake, thank god we think differently.

Tell you what though ... if Honey comes out tomorrow and kicks 2, puts on plenty of forward pressure and impresses in passages of play, I'll compliment him for it. I don't have a bent against any of our players. I just have expectations.

Terrific post.
People sharing their opinions and discussing what they see shouldn’t be hunted in posse like fashion by those that have a differing view.
Everyone here wants the best for Carlton but the AFL is not a perfect world and it’s a footy discussion forum for the good and the not so good at the end of the day …

I remember before covid struck, I went down to a wet family day/open pre season training session.
There was a guy that I’d never recognised bursting time after time out of the centre bounces in the match sim game and later on I found out it was honey.
Could we try him in the middle?
Has strength/burst and is quick?
We prefer glacier type speed out of the middle

If the last 20 years are anything to go by, I'd wager the setting will be 'scared'.

Which I don't understand as a team. Individually Cripps, Kennedy, Silvagni, McGovern, Durdin, Cowan, Newman and Pittonet all demonstrate a mongrel streak.

Last edited:
It’s reasonable to suspect that a part of the reason our mids are off their game is TDk is being trounced.

Pitto is usually competitive in ruck contests- especially around the ground.
Voss did mention the hit out to advantage and ruck in his post match press conference --he put it out there where he thinks problem is..
Personally I agree with dunstall who I think is very reasonable in his assessments he said midfielders were good enough but the mix isn't right and needs work .
Voss knows how he wants it played and he thinks his ruck isn't playing to our midfields advantage --

Last edited:
Our actual half forwards arent doing much anyway…
Durds and Mots are good young small forwards, they with Charlie/Harry would benefit from having 2/3 damaging/competent half forwards down there as well, like every other club seems to have…
In regards to not having damaging forwards to complement and support the rest of our forwards, it’s one of the big missing pieces, atm we have probably the worst overall quality list depth in this area…

Which I don't understand as a team. Individually Cripps, Kennedy, Silvagni, McGovern, Durdin, Cowan, Newman and Pittonet all demostrate a mongrel streak.
I entirely agree..I was so hyped for this team last season.

Sky was the limit.

That last month destroyed them as a group.

Destroyed me too.

Once again, Geelong showed tonight, win the ball at the centre bounce and give your forwards opportunity to score, is the key.
We have not done this well at all this year. Last year we had patches where we pilled on 5+ goals because of our centre clearance work.
Need to win at the source tomorrow, and put StKilda away before the Lyon wall / flood is in.

Once again, Geelong showed tonight, win the ball at the centre bounce and give your forwards opportunity to score, is the key.
We have not done this well at all this year. Last year we had patches where we pilled on 5+ goals because of our centre clearance work.
Need to win at the source tomorrow, and put StKilda away before the Lyon wall / flood is in.
Yes, it not an area we excelled at this season which is weird. Tomorrow most uncertain I been where we at in last two seasons.
Sort of cross roads moment. I just want to see some form that excites me and give me a sense we improving. Be a great time to turn it all around tomorrow and restore some confidence in the player group. To beat Saints at Docklands which is more their home than ours, would be just what we need.

You don’t think that Plowman can handle Membrey?

You didn't answer the question. I do think Plowman has certain skills that suit the matchup, but would be found out for strength and in the one on one marking duels.

Now, tell me your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back