AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to feel sad for Dyson. TFS is scripted TV and heppell would have been in on it. Add the fact that he gets paid to appear on the show and we should not be feeling sympathetic towards him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a massive 2 hour long argument yesterday , on whether Heppell was 'elite'

As with most footy arguments the original argument was lost in a pile of sematics, before long we were arguing about what elite actually is.

Eventually we decided that Elite was top 5% - say 40 avail players per club is 720 - 5% of is 36 .... i said no doubt he is in the best 36 players in the comp.. then they argued no, its position specific, there are more mids than others so they get a bigger slice, i argued them down to 15.

Is Dyson Heppell in the top 15 midfields in the game?

Immediatly i thought yes...

then they started reeling off names.

Dangefield Sloane Beams Rockliff Gibbs Pendlebury Sidebottom Watson Fyfe Selwood Ablett Treloar Lewis Boak Gray Martin Cotchin Parker Kennedy...

I started getting nervy.. gee theres alot of good midfielders out there. I agrued he won 4 player awards last year, they argued he dosent damage teams enough.

Is Dyson Heppel elite?

If we cared to rank the games mids, where is he? I know comparing players is hard - i guess all you can compare is impact on winning games.

Thoughts?

I don't know if he's elite, but he's something tremendously special. He'll never be an explosive burst player like Fyfe and Dangerfield who can break away from contests and rip games apart, but I think it's an absolute fallacy to suggest that his disposals don't hurt the opposition - tell that to Hawthorn in the fourth, tell that to West Coast in the second half last year, likewise Geelong. He stands up at the most critical and crucial occasions and is often irrepressible. if he's not elite already, he'll be seen to be at the end of the year.

Gibbs Pendlebury Sidebottom Watson Fyfe Selwood Ablett Treloar Lewis Boak Gray Martin Cotchin Parker Kennedy...

Gibbs??? Sidebottom?? Please who are these friends of yours?

Hepp was huge in the 4th quarter yesterday. Tell your campaigner Mike Sheahan wannabe mates to shove their 5% elite list where it fits.

mate, if you knew the arguments ive been involved in.. im just glad they are now about football and not clincal injections!

fwiw - i reckon zerrett may well be 'elite' and overtake hepp at some point, but man its going to be a great one two punch for the next decade.

Just to make it a trifecta, what about Langers?
I haven't seen enough of him, but I'll go ahead and say Fyfe :p. I'll also Kav is the new Jack Redden (not as good as the others unfortunately :()

Remove this Banner Ad

Back