AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting point, Kongy.

Do you go for the consistently good performer or the guy who is up and down but a damaging match winner when he is on?
Case by case thing, I guess.

Depends on the other players; the best players in the league generally are consistent.

How many purely outside players would you say have been consistent?

I can think of one. It's Brett Peake, who was consistently s**t.
Stants was probably the best, up until recently.

And of course he's also developed an inside game over the past two years, so I dunno.

Stants was probably the best, up until recently.

And of course he's also developed an inside game over the past two years, so I dunno.

Coincidentally the same time as he became more consistent.

Bennell was pretty consistent this year.

He wasn't bad consistency-wise, and he'll be a fantastic, fantastic player, but I think Darling will have that higher ceiling simply because of the nature of their roles.

Coincidentally the same time as he became more consistent.
Do you reckon?

I actually reckon he's been less consistent in 2011/2012.

Of course injuries are a factor, but in both seasons he's had patches of brilliance and patches of very average footy.

I think before in say 2009/2010, he was more consistent from week to week, but at a lower level than recent seasons.

Do you reckon?

I actually reckon he's been less consistent in 2011/2012.

Of course injuries are a factor, but in both seasons he's had patches of brilliance and patches of very average footy.

I think before in say 2009/2010, he was more consistent from week to week, but at a lower level than recent seasons.

I'd say so. In 09/10 he was tagged out of games too often. Since then he's lifted those lower quality games to be 20 touch games instead of 12-15 touch games.

How many purely outside players would you say have been consistent?

I can think of one. It's Brett Peake, who was consistently s**t.
whose to say that Bennell will always be a pure outside mid?
Pure outside mids dont tend to exist long, they either develop and inside game or get delisted (or spud it up for the next ten years like peake)

Bennell's best games are better, especially considering his only help is Ablett. Heppell delivers almost every game, and it still amazes he came to the club already in our top 5-6.

Bennell is an outside/inside midfielder - Prototype of the most desired midfielder - Has that burst of acceleration from the packs - And a exceptionally clean ball handler.

I suspect the top end of the 2010 Draft will be very strong.

That'd be the Big Polar Bear, IMO.
Yeah look, I rate Hurley but it's to the point where he's so talked about that I just wanna see something happen, I haven't seen a game by him that made me go "Woah! What a star" since he beat Hawthorn and got us into finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle this year?
Didn't quite turn it on as much as he did in that Hawthorn game.
By comparison, Heppell wows me a hell of a lot more than Hurley. Believe me, I rate Hurley but Heppell is where it's at as far as the clubs future is concerned. They'll both be stars and possibly even champions.

Yeah look, I rate Hurley but it's to the point where he's so talked about that I just wanna see something happen, I haven't seen a game by him that made me go "Woah! What a star" since he beat Hawthorn and got us into finals.

10/10 post of the year.

Actually hasn't done much for a long time.

10/10 post of the year.

Actually hasn't done much for a long time.

Man, I am just happy someone agrees with me George, it was something I was semi afraid to say, but it's honestly my opinion.
I am amazed by how Heppell and Dempsey's year have slipped passed the keeper. They made incredible steps.

i agree delist immediately

Bigfooty style.

Girlfriend: Do I look nice today?
Boyfriend: You do, I really liked your eye make up yesterday though, looked great on you.
Girlfriend: Fine then, I'll kill myself.

Yes, I'm looking at it a bit more from the perspective that I think that your KPP stocks are more critical than the mids, just in terms of the weigh of numbers. A bit like how Collingwood losing Cloke would have been more damaging than losing Pendlebury (IMO).

Bigfooty style.

Girlfriend: Do I look nice today?
Boyfriend: You do, I really liked your eye make up yesterday though, looked great on you.
Girlfriend: Fine then, I'll kill myself.
just making the point that saying hurley hasnt done anything in a long time is way over the top

Yes, I'm looking at it a bit more from the perspective that I think that your KPP stocks are more critical than the mids, just in terms of the weigh of numbers. A bit like how Collingwood losing Cloke would have been more damaging than losing Pendlebury (IMO).

While usually I agree totally, a good KPP is usually more important than a good midfielder.
But I really think at the moment there's no KPP's (except Buddy) on a similar level of eliteness as Ablett, Pendlebury, Watson etc.
I think Pendlebury leaving Collingwood would be FAR worse than Cloke leaving.
Just my opinion though mate and I am a weird one ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back