Player Watch #6: Caleb Windsor – the kid just has 'it'

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Viney, Ben Brown, Brodie Grundy, Ed Langdon and Max Gawn are famous for their versatlity.
Lol, way to miss the entire point of the post in order to focus on semantics. No, three 200cm+ KPPs aren't going to play different positions, well done.

I'm sure Viney could play a defensive forward role, or Langdon play a half-back role if absolutely necessary. Are you going to argue that Brayshaw, Rivers, Sparrow, Pickett, Hunter or Tholstrup couldn't play in the midfield if we got hit by injuries?

Lol, way to miss the entire point of the post in order to focus on semantics. No, three 200cm+ KPPs aren't going to play different positions, well done.

If only we had someone sensible like you in the footy department. We wouldn't have blew our load on Grundy with a vision of Gawn playing at Full Forward!

You are taking my observation as a criticism of the player. There is nothing wrong with players being one-dimensional when they are exceptional at their role (BBB excluded, he is cooked).

Are you going to argue that Brayshaw, Rivers, Sparrow, Pickett, Hunter or Tholstrup couldn't play in the midfield if we got hit by injuries?

Sparrow and Brayshaw already play the majority of their time in the middle. In my opinion, Rivers and Pickett should be a key cogs of our midfield mix. Bowey should be considered as part of the mix too depending on the match ups, he is an absolute jet when kicking into the F50.

Hunter is capable but coaching group seems too fixated on having Hunter/Langdon stay in their lane on the wings.

I know nothing about Tholstrup though and don't have a clue if he is AFL ready or needs seasoning in at Casey.

'm sure Viney could play a defensive forward role, or Langdon play a half-back role if absolutely necessary.

I don't think either player would succeed in those roles. Langdon doesn't like to check his man closely, and playing at HBF takes away his greatest strength which is covering ground.

Viney offers nothing to the team unless he is on the ball. Nothing wrong with that in my view. He is terrific as an inside mid.

Ah sorry, didn’t realise this was North Korea and other opinions weren’t allowed.

Yeah awesome Windsor, awesome pick, won’t go out in straight sets again, kick more goals, go Dees. Good kick, run.

Had we taken Liam Henry we wouldn’t probably be taking Windsor now (we even probably could’ve traded Henry in for less then pick 7 during trade period.) Also Kemp over Weightman will prove the better option long term, he is showing promise down back.
Whoever we drafted on Monday isn’t going to really have that much of an impact in terms of win / loss next year given it’s their debut year. Nor will they stop us going out in straight sets. Unless you’re picking Chris Judd you’re not really going to get a young kid having that much influence on your results.

To be fair, this is everything we need. I remember Andrew Mackie getting picked at 7 in 2002 as a bit of a bolter or left left field pick. Not saying Windsor is like or not like Mackie (just in case any know alls want to pick my comment apart), but simply the idea of where he was picked and his attributes.

Everytime someone gets told they're overreacting
Animated GIF

In case anyone hasn’t seen it. Posted his highlights above.

Honestly, it’s exactly what we need. Outside pace and line breaking to try and circumvent this slow protracted game we play. Has a full summer to improve kicking which didn’t look too bad.
Agree... and he seems pretty sharp as well in mind. willing to chase hard and to bring down opponents, and smother etc...

Also Tholstrup looks to me like a natural inside-mid, who can go forward and hit the scoreboard. Great spacial awareness, and skill to back that up.

Last edited:
In case anyone hasn’t seen it. Posted his highlights above.

Honestly, it’s exactly what we need. Outside pace and line breaking to try and circumvent this slow protracted game we play. Has a full summer to improve kicking which didn’t look too bad.
Agreed. It's just that Curtin was there! But Windsor looks similar to Whitfield in a lot of ways. Hopefully he can deliver on a similar level. We needed good kickers and pace, he has both.

Agreed. It's just that Curtin was there! But Windsor looks similar to Whitfield in a lot of ways. Hopefully he can deliver on a similar level. We needed good kickers and pace, he has both.
Apparently the issue on Curtin was the go home factor. Not 100%. Clearly we’d have picked Curtin if they thought he was a long term prospect, but happy enough with a local.

Surprised he went at 8. There was talk he’d be top 2. I’d actually never heard of the kid that went 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the issue on Curtin was the go home factor. Not 100%. Clearly we’d have picked Curtin if they thought he was a long term prospect, but happy enough with a local.

Surprised he went at 8. There was talk he’d be top 2. I’d actually never heard of the kid that went 2.
You never heard of the kid who was widely touted to go at 2 all year but you know curtain and his issues? Lol

I very hardly follow the draft but even I knew Mckercher was top 2. I don't even know what he looks like. Reid was obviously pick one, minus the speculation with Mckercher right behind. Even if a lot of media was certain he'd go pick one due to West Coast getting cold feet on Reid

Outside pace and good kicking. Although mixed reports on if he is good at kicking or not. Sorely needed those traits for years, hopefully the kid provides it for the next decade.

Doesn't do a heap yet but looks a special player. Some of the quick decisions he made in tight were awesome and well beyond a second gamer. Hope he follows in the footsteps of the Gulden's of the worlds and spends some time in the CBA's as he develops to give us some more speed in there.

Didn't see him make any mistakes all day?
2 turnovers going inside 50 although excuses for both, one on his left under pressure and the other one JVR should have at least halved the contest, that particular play was great, got the ball on half back hit a pass back into the corridor then ran and received the handball and kicked inside 50. Exactly the sort of play we havent been able to do over the past 2 years.

So much more than a winger. Build the right midfield with him and he'll be the player we've been crying out for.
But some bulk on him and Goody's got a inside mid to sculpt right there

decent start. I don't see star status in him. Disposals need some work. Plays very similar to Jayden Hunt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back