Player Watch #6: Caleb Windsor – the kid just has 'it'

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, just one more.

View attachment 1931630
Where did I say this?

View attachment 1931634
View attachment 1931636
View attachment 1931639
Reckon you have a couple to get to first, my friend.

But I'm nice, so happy to go first.

• First kick: Effective, but yes, open
  • Second kick: Rushed kick on his left inside 50 and turns it over. Hardly a hangable offence.
  • Third kick: Good option cutting inside, hits the kick
  • Fourth kick: Did well to run on and get the ball back, kick was fine and to JVR's advantage. Jones did well to make it over as third man up and intercept.
  • Fifth kick: Correct option to Oliver, hits the kick after the chasedown tackle.
  • Sixth kick: Had no other option pinned in on the boundary with Bulldogs players filling the space up ahead. Got the ball to a 50-50, which is all he could do in that sitiuation and the ball ended up in Chandler's hands.

So we're shitting on an 18-year-old second-gamer for making one obvious error by foot, and that was a rushed kick on his left? This is pretty next level, Dan. Imagine if we held a sixth-year, seasoned player like Tom Sparrow to the same standard?
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to actually go and look at it. But for all of those kicks, what makes you say 'he is a good kick of the footy'? which kick did he do that say your man Sparrow couldn't do? Regarding the 6th kick, 'getting the ball to a 50-50 is code for doing nothing with the kick. Yes, he was hemmed into the boundary line but hell even scrubbing the ball along the ground would've been a 50-50.
I'm not saying he is a bad kick, but it's not a strength. You're saying it's a strength so the onus is on you to show me which kicks highlight his elite skills?
I like his speed and defensive pressure just like everyone else does.

Did I just read posters comparing Windsor to Rozee, Gulden and Whitfield?

Think many would agree his disposal is much closer to Jayden Hunts in quality off his first 2 games than it is to Rozee, Gulden and Whitfield’s.

Take the piss about the Jayden Hunt comparison but the Rozee, Gulden and Whitfield comparison takes the cake.

Why don’t we compare Jefferson to Buddy Franklin or Verrall to Tim English while we are at it.

Think many would agree his disposal is much closer to Jayden Hunts in quality off his first 2 games than it is to Rozee, Gulden and Whitfield’s.

Take the piss about the Jayden Hunt comparison but the Rozee, Gulden and Whitfield comparison takes the cake.
Literally exactly no one made that comparison. Find me that post

Why don’t we compare Jefferson to Buddy Franklin or Verrall to Tim English while we are at it.
Personally I'm with Callum Twomey. He's clearly the next Judd.

The levels people will go to try and be a contrarian to get a win here is amazing. Galaxy brain stuff potting a kid who's showing superstar composure in March of his first season. lulz
Noticeably it's the same people who didn't like the idea of selecting Windsor before we made the pick. No agenda whatsoever. Just going off what they have seen in the first 2 rounds. :moustache:

You can really pick people who don’t actually watch players here. Stats are such a bad indicator for kids because they play much lower TOG% and have a lower usage rate.

I remember doubting the Jackson pick then watched him in one practice match and was instantly converted. Kozzy was another who had it from day 1, same with JVR. I’m not guaranteeing they’ll all be elite, but they’ll be good afl players at worst.

Anyone who pretends Windsor hasn’t been very impressive quite simply doesn’t know footy at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1710801667024.png

You can really pick people who don’t actually watch players here. Stats are such a bad indicator for kids because they play much lower TOG% and have a lower usage rate.

I remember doubting the Jackson pick then watched him in one practice match and was instantly converted. Kozzy was another who had it from day 1, same with JVR. I’m not guaranteeing they’ll all be elite, but they’ll be good afl players at worst.

Anyone who pretends Windsor hasn’t been very impressive quite simply doesn’t know footy at all.
Dude, I basically time stamped all of his kicks in a previous post. What else do you want?

I don't really get the focus on his kicking when all the most impressive things about his game was how he worked in tight spaces, competed for the ball and was able to release the ball to the outside. That's why he's exciting, he can play inside and outside.

Didn't really get many chances to get some space and kick it on Saturday. It's why the Hunt comparison is so strange. Hunt often took too long to make decisions under pressure and got himself caught or messed up the handball and gave up on the contest immediately after.

I don't really get the focus on his kicking when all the most impressive things about his game was how he worked in tight spaces, competed for the ball and was able to release the ball to the outside. That's why he's exciting, he can play inside and outside.

Didn't really get many chances to get some space and kick it on Saturday. It's why the Hunt comparison is so strange. Hunt often took too long to make decisions under pressure and got himself caught or messed up the handball and gave up on the contest immediately after.
would he be more composed than Bowey? There's nothing wrong about being compared to Hunt. Hunt had a career year last season. Hunt is quicker but I'd say their kicking is similar. Windsor probably more composed.

would he be more composed than Bowey? There's nothing wrong about being compared to Hunt. Hunt had a career year last season. Hunt is quicker but I'd say their kicking is similar. Windsor probably more composed.
Hunt launched the ball into orbit at nearly every opportunity. His kicking is nothing like Windsor's.

Hunt basically always kicked the skin off the footy at any opportunity. I never saw Hunt try to hit shorter dangerous passes like Windsor has gone for with some of his kicks. They use the ball in a totally different way. The only comparison for mine is that they are both fast.

Hunt basically always kicked the skin off the footy at any opportunity. I never saw Hunt try to hit shorter dangerous passes like Windsor has gone for with some of his kicks. They use the ball in a totally different way. The only comparison for mine is that they are both fast.
If Caleb has any sense of humour, he'll start wearing a headband soon.

The levels people will go to try and be a contrarian to get a win here is amazing. Galaxy brain stuff potting a kid who's showing superstar composure in March of his first season. lulz

Exactly. Where are the blokes who couldn't stop potting Blake Howes after his first ever quarter of AFL football. Couldn't wait to get in and declare him a bust just so they could say they said it first.

Exactly. Where are the blokes who couldn't stop potting Blake Howes after his first ever quarter of AFL football. Couldn't wait to get in and declare him a bust just so they could say they said it first.
Self reporting :raisinghand: I said he wasn't going to make it after a practice game. :$ Happy to suggest I got that wrong and jumped the gun there..... I think we need more self reporting as a board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back