A favour to ask....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bresker the facts of life are 95% of people are liars, cowards or sh!t people. They will band together to bring people who challenge them or differ in opinion even if they know that person is actually right. Yep I’m aware most of you think that about me the difference is I don’t care what people think about me.

They float in the background and whisper and stab you in the back at every chance and then cry foul when you respond. They desperately require the agreeance and admiration of people they don’t know and never will. Some will even boast of their apparently “huge” wages to prove a point. (Anyone on “huge” money isn’t sitting on this s**t site day on day out)

The reality is you never had a chance, the system is fixed at every club and you are a nobody(no disrespect we all are) and it is clear you would rattle the cage and that isn’t allowed in today lemmings society if you aren’t a somebody that can add something to the mix while you rattle the cage.

Kudos to you for having a crack and unmasking some of the cowards in here well down mate
Awesome post.

As I've said numerous times on this board, an alternative course of action would to find someone who is just as determined/passionate/single-issue about the pokies, who has the time/willingness to sit on the board, and have him/her represent the same viewpoint

Bresker responded to that suggestion that those people don't grow on trees, and if you find someone to let him know. Why do you keep repeating it?

I'm not bragging, I'm a fairly shrewd political operator and smart cookie who could bring much needed life to a moribund board. They're stuck in old man middle aged ways. I would bring a whole new perspective to their board. Our board. I saw at the AGM that there is division and strife amongst our senior leaders. It's like when Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness laid down their arms and played the politics game. We need some people to fight for our club. * off the pokies and the boys club and take a new direction. I have grey hair but not quite as grey as the rest of the board. It's our ******* club and even if I was one voice in the board, I would kick against the pricks. I'd even mention Matt Dougie's hatred of Lin Jong, some of which is justified, and the fact that bloody Shane Biggs smokes too many durries out the front of nightclubs. I have my ear to the ground. Where's the scoreboard at the Whitten Oval? Why do we draft s**t KPs? I'd take time off work to polish Chris Grant's head like a thousand shining suns and take your concerns to P Gordon and the crew. And I'd use real language not, their smooth corporate blandishments. I'd be in there, balls deep for bigfooty.
In other news Jeff Kennett is a massive tool but that's not news https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...er-machines-says-kennett-20180209-p4yzv4.html

If everyone else is ditching them.... keep them in operation and move them into the heartland of those clubs. Bleed their core support dry and push them into a lower socioeconomic demographic that can't afford coteries and expensive memberships. Cash in on their misery instead of ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I originally thought it was for players and both fans, for when they don't get everything presented to them on a silver platter they behave and sulk like children...

GWS have taken to opening child care centres as an alternative to gaming revenue.
Richmond also is working towards getting out we only have 80 machines at the moment and I believe the contract expires soon, they're hopeful of not needing to renew I believe.
We own Alligned Leasure which runs 2 community centres with gyms, aquatic centre etc, actually helping the community and being proactive unlike that smug a-hole and hypocrite Kennet.
Good luck bresker I've been watching from the sidelines:handfist:

The problems from poker machines are more than just financial. Apparently one very senior person at the club had been playing the one machine for a long period and was sure it was about to pay out big time. Unfortunately nature called urgently and he had to go. He put a reserved sign on the machine but this was ignored and some 70 year old woman associated with the club and she won huge. Word is the two have fallen out badly.

The problems from poker machines are more than just financial. Apparently one very senior person at the club had been playing the one machine for a long period and was sure it was about to pay out big time. Unfortunately nature called urgently and he had to go. He put a reserved sign on the machine but this was ignored and some 70 year old woman associated with the club and she won huge. Word is the two have fallen out badly.
Is this for real, because that would be extraordinary.

Colin Carter's statement is an extraordinary one when you stop and think about it.
Geelong president Colin Carter, whose club has shed about 50 machines this year, came under pressure internally in 2016 when he conceded that in the long term "we would probably prefer to be out of the industry", although such a move was not currently affordable.
My bolding.

And Hawthorn's financial well-being is not so much on the back of a three-peat premiership run but their reliance on pokies.
Garvey's involvement in the working group is significant given Hawthorn's entire profit in recent years has generally mirrored their gaming profit. Over the past financial year Hawthorn led the nine Victorian AFL pokie clubs, reaping $23.29 million in gaming takings, a 3 per cent increase on the previous year. Carlton came second, with their four venues reaping $17.6 million – up 3.3 per cent.

Put bluntly, Victorian AFL clubs are taking over $90m a year in pokie revenue and can't afford to give it up even though it's known to cause hardship and ruin, especially to the more vulnerable. Everyone somberly concedes it's better to be out of the pokie business but there are limits to their moral scruples and it won't extend to taking a significant hit to their club's bottom line.

We the fans - and also the players - benefit enormously from this dodgy windfall so we are all a part of the problem and potentially a part of the solution. Unfortunately when you have a problem caused by competing entities very few of them are going to act unilaterally. (Good on North for doing so!) In fact some won't act at all unless they know that everyone will make the same sacrifice, and even then they may argue that "we are losing more than them" (because they were the ones making the most out of pokies in the first place) and so they may not come around to a zero-pokies policy.

So while it's a welcome move from the AFL there's a fair chance that progress will be slow and that total eradication of pokies may never happen.

I don’t understand how clubs aren’t making a profit without pokies. A billion dollar tv deal was just signed, average attendance last season across all clubs was about 35,000. Are clubs being screwed by deals made with the AFL and stadium deals? Hawthorn just won three flags and have been getting record memberships year on year, how are they not making money?

Pokie Gate

I don’t understand how clubs aren’t making a profit without pokies. A billion dollar tv deal was just signed, average attendance last season across all clubs was about 35,000. Are clubs being screwed by deals made with the AFL and stadium deals? Hawthorn just won three flags and have been getting record memberships year on year, how are they not making money?

Player salaries, off field staff, operating costs etc are up across the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back