A favour to ask....

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand how clubs aren’t making a profit without pokies. A billion dollar tv deal was just signed, average attendance last season across all clubs was about 35,000. Are clubs being screwed by deals made with the AFL and stadium deals? Hawthorn just won three flags and have been getting record memberships year on year, how are they not making money?
There's not a huge amount of point in an AFL club making big profits. You would expect clubs to spend roughly what they take in in revenue every year in the hope of improving on field success.

The reason for this is that AFL clubs can generally expect increasing revenue every year and I imagine they see a dollar investment in the football department as a better investment then other options.

So for that reason you will see clubs, regardless of how they make money or how much they make, not posting big profits.

Player salaries, off field staff, operating costs etc are up across the board.
Yes, every time revenues go up (from TV deals, pokies or whatever) the players demand and get a greater share.

At the same time the arms race of off-field spending escalates - more coaching staff, training and recovery facilities, recruitment staff, back office, opposition analysts, sports scientists, marketing, psychologists ... whatever they think will give them an extra 1% edge over the competition.

That's why it has become so hard to get back to pre-pokies budgeting in footy clubs. If you can't find equivalent revenues (say $10m-$20m) from more palatable sources what do you cut from your footy budget?

There's a whole state election being fought in Tasmania with pokies front and centre of the campaign debate. There they talk about loss of jobs, etc but it's basically the same poison that is so hard to remove from the system once it has been allowed in.

I don’t believe that the footy is any better for the increased revenue. Multiple coaches just stifle players creativity.

What pisses me off more than the Bulldogs having pokies, is Hawthorn taking $23m and North getting $0. It’s unfair.

I don’t believe that the footy is any better for the increased revenue. Multiple coaches just stifle players creativity.

What pisses me off more than the Bulldogs having pokies, is Hawthorn taking $23m and North getting $0. It’s unfair.

And where Hawthorn are taking the money from, certainly not their own leafy suburbs.

From memory they have a venue out in Caroline Springs

Yup. Also one in Waverley

Hawthorn's Vegas at Waverley Gardens venue was briefly shut down last week due to licensing issues, but has since been granted a provisional licence to operate poker machines by the state's gambling regulator.

Hawthorn also owns a 73 per cent stake in the venture that operates the West Water Hotel in Caroline Springs.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...the-pokies-losses-ladder-20160404-gnxys2.html

Within a year or two I think that the Dogs' response to bresker will look antiquated. Even aside from from Melbourne joining North you've got other clubs publicly explaining timelines or steps that they'll take to rid themselves of pokies in time, the Dogs' response to it all was "yeah nah mate, we've got a plan in place probably somewhere".

I've posted enough on this thread to say that because I wanted to see bresker achieve real change and try and gain the most effectiveness with his efforts that he could have done things differently. But it doesn't also mean that the club's response wasn't great and that as several more months goes on their response looks more and more worse in comparison to what other clubs are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well to be fair, we don't know if it was something they were planning for a while.

I'm sure Bresker doesn't need or want any credit. The result is the important part.

I attended the AGM where Bresker ran for office and Peter Gordon commented that the board had previously resolved to get out of gaming when it was financially prudent for the club to do so and in the meantime to not increase the returns from the existing machines.

I attended the AGM where Bresker ran for office and Peter Gordon commented that the board had previously resolved to get out of gaming when it was financially prudent for the club to do so and in the meantime to not increase the returns from the existing machines.
Good. It reflects well on both the club and bresker

I reckon his activism would have helped keep them to their earlier resolution and not just park it for a few more years.

Kudos to the club though. Sounds like they've done their financial homework. When you run community programs like Sons of the West I don't think it sits well to be running pokies at the same time, with all the hardship that comes with pokie addiction.

Anyone seen bresker on here lately? Hope he’s happy with the result, and everything is ok...

Chief I would like my account suspended rather than deleted please. Trying to use internet less & stay in the moment more.

Plus dem Bulldogs what do you say about that??!!!

Thanks will email support@bigfooty.com to reactivate like last time?

If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as Marcus Bontempelli
lambs-casual-unisex-blue-red-white-nylon-strap-wrist-watch-1360-g-2-9348-143087-1-gallery.jpg

bresker, Jun 4, 2018 Report
Share Tweet
#1128 Like + Reply

Anyone seen bresker on here lately? Hope he’s happy with the result, and everything is ok...

Requested his account be suspended a while ago, he may return one day but I have a feeling he’s probably had a read of the news since then. Unless he’s mentally blocked the forums from his mindset altogether

Chief I would like my account suspended rather than deleted please. Trying to use internet less & stay in the moment more.

Plus dem Bulldogs what do you say about that??!!!

Thanks will email support@bigfooty.com to reactivate like last time?

If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as Marcus Bontempelli
lambs-casual-unisex-blue-red-white-nylon-strap-wrist-watch-1360-g-2-9348-143087-1-gallery.jpg

bresker, Jun 4, 2018 Report
Share Tweet
#1128 Like + Reply
I can do that for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back