A final drawn after extra time: a footy disaster waiting to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

In possibly the first ever example of the AFL showing logic and foresight, and avoiding a problem before it happened… this has been fixed.

Extra time periods will continue until a winner is decided.

Well done Big Footy, we got there.

Nothing groundbreaking.. just fixed a problem that they created. No net gain, just back to square.

It seems that the AFL due to being a non-profit organisation has many men in suits hired to do certain jobs, most unnecessary. But they feel they need to get into action and make changes in order to justify a wage. I'm not exactly highlighting the direct topic, just more overall. An awful league without a soul at the moment IMO.

And then if that's a draw too, you just keep coming back a week later? What about if a WA team is playing? Fans have to keep traveling 4 hours there and back?

Can you stop making sense? its not helping his argument.

It’s the typical AFL cycle:

- have perfectly fine rules
- change those rules, causing outrage
- refuse to admit mistake
- finally return rules to previous
- expect applause
You got it wrong. They not returned to previous rules.
Previously it was 5 minutes extra time each end for first 3 weeks of finals and grand finals no extra time and replay the grand final the next week.
Before that it was all finals that drawn replayed the following week.
The admitted the golden point idea was a mistake and thank * it never got used and admitted their mistake before it happened.
They now have a new set up of only 3 minutes extra time each end which previously was 5 minutes each end. But they continue changing until someone actually wins. I do not mind it. The 10 minutes extra time was a good change in early 1990's after Pies and Eagles had a draw in week one which forced Essendon to need to wait 3 weeks between games as the minor premier in 1990. This is a a good adjustment for 2020's. One of the rare times in recent decades a good decision has been made for the game.

Was having another grand final a week later perfectly fine?
Was in 1977. :p
With so many more clubs based a long way from the grand final home location, the chances of supporters flying in and out from other states to see their team and attending a drawn grand final without being able to come back and see a full replay to decide the premier team means it is fair enough now to play as much extra time as possible to get the premiership decided on the one day.
Previous drawn grand finals supporters that attended had a good chance to go again the next week.
If Brisbane, Gold Coast, Eagles or Dockers fans in a drawn grand final in 2020's the likely hood of being able to come back the next week to decide the premiership is slim given they need to fly in and out again all within a week of organising. Extra time makes more sense now than ever before.

But why was it now reduced to 3 minute halves now? It was 5 minutes before.

Probably because before there was only one set of extra times set up.
Now, there is no limit of how many times you have a set of extra times.
If it takes 5 times having 2 by 3 minute segments of plays to decide a winner we got 30 extra minutes of actual play.
Before it was only 10 minutes maximum. Just means changing ends more frequently now.

Was in 1977. :p
With so many more clubs based a long way from the grand final home location, the chances of supporters flying in and out from other states to see their team and attending a drawn grand final without being able to come back and see a full replay to decide the premier team means it is fair enough now to play as much extra time as possible to get the premiership decided on the one day.
Previous drawn grand finals supporters that attended had a good chance to go again the next week.
If Brisbane, Gold Coast, Eagles or Dockers fans in a drawn grand final in 2020's the likely hood of being able to come back the next week to decide the premiership is slim given they need to fly in and out again all within a week of organising. Extra time makes more sense now than ever before.
Not only that, but the travel burden on the actual players from outside Melbourne is a factor.

Also, the GF replay in 2010 felt like such a letdown. ET in a GF would've been the duck's nuts. Instead, it was dead flat after the siren, followed by a flat game the following week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it takes 5 times having 2 by 3 minute segments of plays to decide a winner we got 30 extra minutes of actual play.
Before it was only 10 minutes maximum. Just means changing ends more frequently now.
I can see the logic of it. If it's still a draw after ET, the players only have to endure a further 6 minutes of double-ET. 12 minutes total.

However, with just 6 minutes of ET, is there now a greater potential for games to remain tied still?

I can see the logic of it. If it's still a draw after ET, the players only have to endure a further 6 minutes of double-ET. 12 minutes total.

However, with just 6 minutes of ET, is there now a greater potential for games to remain tied still?
Do not know. Will embrace it as something extra to experience like I did in first game of football I watched.. the 77 grand final.. having another grand final the next week to look forward to was fun, Having an unknown amount of extra time for a grand final will be fun too when it happens. I will like the test of players having to go the extra time to win a premiership. Hope my club is first to experience it as some point.

But had there been a tie at the end of extra time in any of the 3 extra time finals in 1994, 2007 and 2017... there would have been a second pair of 5 min halves... additional pairs added until there was a winner

But had there been a tie at the end of extra time in any of the 3 extra time finals in 1994, 2007 and 2017... there would have been a second pair of 5 min halves... additional pairs added until there was a winner
No, I cannot recall if there was meant to be more after it. I just assumed not but you maybe right, maybe there would have been. I remember North and Hawks played first extra time final out at Waverley Park. Carey took control in extra time and all over for Hawks.

How about a goal penalty shootout from the 50m arc? I’ve seen it done in one of the drawn Legends game, 5 of each team’s best goal kicks shooting for goals at the same end of the oval (to rule out unfair wind conditions).

This would ensure a result within roughly 5 minutes. Suspense will be filled just like a soccer penalty shootout! So my proposal:
- 5 minutes extra time for 2 halves
- if still drawn, goal penalty shootout.

How about a goal penalty shootout from the 50m arc? I’ve seen it done in one of the drawn Legends game, 5 of each team’s best goal kicks shooting for goals at the same end of the oval (to rule out unfair wind conditions).

This would ensure a result within roughly 5 minutes. Suspense will be filled just like a soccer penalty shootout! So my proposal:

penalty shoot outs are a horrible way to finish a soccer game, as it doesn't reflect the actual game itself.

it is about as relevant as losing to a coin toss or the number of corners conceded

penalty shoot outs are a horrible way to finish a soccer game, as it doesn't reflect the actual game itself.

it is about as relevant as losing to a coin toss or the number of corners conceded
It’s probably not in line with the fabric of the game, but certainly something to ponder as an alternative approach.

Dreadful.

Shootouts simply aren’t required. The only reason they exist in soccer is because you can literally go hours without a score.

hudds got promoted without scoring a goal from open play or set peice for ten hours worth of football

just penalty shoot outs an an own goal. They lasted 2 seasons epl too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back