A new era of empty MCG at preliminary finals time

Remove this Banner Ad

The very idea that any finals could be played outside Melbourne didn't even exist then. It wasn't until the Eagles finished on top in 1991 that a single home final was begrudgingly given in the first week, and even that would not have happened had the Eagles not been about three games clear on top of ladder nearing the end of the season. If the ladder had been closer, they still would have ended up in Melbourne week 1. They ended up losing that match at Subi to Hawthorn, but even if they had won, every other final was to be played in Melbourne regardless.

I still remember the outrage, either that year or the year after, when West Coast dared suggest that they might not travel a day earlier to be there for the GF Parade! How dare they!
The third line is inaccurate - the decision to award an interstate home final to the higher ranked team was made in the previous off season, after WC had to travel to Melbourne four times in the finals due to the QF draw against Collingwood...they also travelled in the last two rounds (once to Carrara) making it six straight weeks on the plane from Perth. Noone was really arguing with the unfairness of it after this, and it was being seen as the coming of age of the new format comp. People like Allan McAllister were the most vocal pro-Vic final pushers, but seeing as noone outside Collingwood could stand him, it might have just pushed the new rule over the line...!

Similar to Swans V WC which we put up with and got through.
Swans have a South Melbourne connection

West coast come from a football state

Massive difference beaten those two clubs instead of GCS and GWS ...Who are from rugby states with no history

Brisbane has bears and Fitzroy connection .....

why?

If it is the AFL and WCE and dockers make the finals. Then why not play the GF in WA?

I get what you're saying, but why change it from the G? Ask any freo supporter if they hated coming to melbourne for grand final week last year?
It was cool seeing all the purple around the city all week. And that's the thing, the whole city embraces the entire week not just the game, could it be replicated elsewhere? Probably, but why change it if it works so well?

I get what you're saying, but why change it from the G? Ask any freo supporter if they hated coming to melbourne for grand final week last year?
It was cool seeing all the purple around the city all week. And that's the thing, the whole city embraces the entire week not just the game, could it be replicated elsewhere? Probably, but why change it if it works so well?

I agree

but if you read back through the thread it was suggested only 10 people would turn up to the G (which I believe is inaccurate). but if that was the case, the simple remedy would be to move the game to the where the fans will travel.

We better hold another enquiry :mad:

That happened in 2006 when it was Freo, West Coast, Crows and Swans in those 4 prelim spots. That was good except for who win the flag that year.

Found it funny the cats fans on here bagged freo for "Tanking" that game vs the saints last season. The the Dockers beat your mob In your home ground in the 1st week of the finals. Oh and Your team didnt travel out side of Victoria even though your team finished top 2 and lost your home final.

I agree, it is not an issue as people will watch a great game no matter who plays

but your next comment doesn't make sense as if only 10 people turn up to a 100,000 seat stadium the fans have spoken with their feet. The GF would be better served being moved.

Further, in the long run the AFL will have to play GFs away from the MCG to truly be the AFL (not the VFL with expansion sides).

My second comment doesn't make sense? And your suggesting 10 people will turn up to an AFL GF??
Do you think the FA Cup should also be moved from Wembley and while we are at it lets move the Melbourne Cup to Caulfield.
The GF is currently played at the MCG because that's where the players and 95% of the public want it played and that's not likely to change for another 50 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will go fishing or kayaking or go mow lawns because frankly I have no interest in teams that are totally fabricated to make money for the comp and that's why they exist

Coming from a supporter of Indian Pacific Pty Ltd, a company that was totoally fabricated to make money for it's shareholders, thats completely hilarious.

No, have a look at the early history of Indian Pactific Pty Ltd, trading as West Coast Eagles. Read the prospectus if you can.

My second comment doesn't make sense? And your suggesting 10 people will turn up to an AFL GF??
Do you think the FA Cup should also be moved from Wembley and while we are at it lets move the Melbourne Cup to Caulfield.
The GF is currently played at the MCG because that's where the players and 95% of the public want it played and that's not likely to change for another 50 years.

Although I agree with your comment but it is only locked in for another 15 years or so.

The AFL will move it to Sydney at the very first opportunity. The AFL is about growth not existing markets. Just ask Fitzroy, South Melbourne and the next Vic side that is given its marching orders.

go back through the thread for context. That is not my representation.

That happened in 2006 when it was Freo, West Coast, Crows and Swans in those 4 prelim spots. That was good except for who win the flag that year.

Found it funny the cats fans on here bagged freo for "Tanking" that game vs the saints last season. The the Dockers beat your mob In your home ground in the 1st week of the finals. Oh and Your team didnt travel out side of Victoria even though your team finished top 2 and lost your home final.

That's nice. Do you feel better for posting that?

Australia's transport network had a nightmare transferring 15k supporters from Perth to Melbourne for the game. Flights to go from Perth to Melbourne were well above $2k before the prelim weekend. How would they handle twice that or more trying to get across? The supporters ticket ballot would be under-subscribed purely due to a physical inability to reach Melbourne!

Australia's transport network had a nightmare transferring 15k supporters from Perth to Melbourne for the game. Flights to go from Perth to Melbourne were well above $2k before the prelim weekend. How would they handle twice that or more trying to get across? The supporters ticket ballot would be under-subscribed purely due to a physical inability to reach Melbourne!

imagine if the GF was a draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back