Review AAMI Series vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Abit of over rating Doedee is 24 only played 30 games but do agree he does look like a player but hasn't done much at all yet.
Pre knee injury he looked worldly.

I reckon he will do another knee just based on the way he plays

- The only player on that list that I think is a clear upgrade is ROB. Better than Lycett in my eyes. I've always perceived Lycett as more or less a role player.

- Burton's key issue is staying on the park (same goes for Doedee in recent times) but he is such a good player and I honestly believe quite underrated in the AFL community and even by us. So important to our backline. In saying that, Doedee is a fantastic player who copped a stupid amount of abuse from Crows fans early on because he was a high pick and they didn't know who he was. They don't deserve him. Would definitely have a spot on the team.

- Laird racks the ball up and 2 - 3 years ago was a better player but on recent form Houston. Houston was swapped between the backline and midfield fairly consistently last season and managed to flourish at both and players that can do that are worth their weight in gold. I'd still find a spot for Laird.

- DBJ is AA, no contest. Also has a sick as mullet. I'd find a spot for Smith though.

- I'd pick Crouch over Rocky because of age and based on stats from 2020 they're neck and neck between each other, but the key difference is that Crouch is the Crows best midfielder, while Rocky is fighting to keep his spot. For club culture though I know Rocky does a lot around the club, particularly for the new interstate players.

Just on a side note regarding Rocky...

- Ignore the bullshit from Brisbane fans - Rocky was critical of the way things were being done by senior officials pre-Fagan, including the woeful standards and expectations and got shot down for it hard. By the time Fagan and Noble came in, he was completely burnt out, loved the club (still does) but desperately needed a change for his sake.
- He was openly critical of staff such as Brett Burton and would speak his mind, he often had players coming to him confidentially and he was constantly advocating for them. He was very vocal about the lack of support Voss and Leppitsch received as coaches.

- Polec and Rockliff clashed hard. Polec's attitude towards training was way below standard, some staff weren't doing anything about it, Rocky got frustrated and bluntly told Polec to rock up and do his job.

- My source for this is reliable and was heavily involved - they said that Rocky was by no means perfect and his approach may have been too confrontational but the burden put on him and the sheer amount of stress he had exceeded what any captain should have on their shoulders and he was a big victim of the way the Lions operated, because he actually gave a sh*t.

- Pearce Hanley was in the same boat as Rocky, got extremely burnt out and left despite the culture turnaround. Both left on good terms with Fagan and it was very mutual - Fagan had bigger concern for their welfare and wellbeing then what he got for them. FWIW: Fagan from everything I have heard is an incredible coach.

Sorry for the little rant there, its been something I've been meaning to share somewhere as I get a bit frustrated when Lions fans spread sh*t about about Rocky supposedly maliciously hazing new players. This is all from one source, there's very clearly some bias.

I've said this a couple times, but there's multiple accounts of good quality players leaving clubs and fans suddenly saying that the player is leaving because of some controversy, such as Ryder cheating on his wife, B. Crouch being addicted to drugs, Gibbs gambling problem or Rockliff abusing new players and tanking the culture. Some of them may be true but rumours spread easily, verification is rarely needed (I've been wrong a few times including one time about a family member coming to Port - which I heard from the horses mouth) and fans are more inclined to believe its an indictment on the player than the club ("Why would you want to leave the club? Its the best place in the world therefore must be a problem with you" type logic). Take rumours about players with a massive grain of salt.

Hahahahaha will leave it at that.

Laugh at me if you want but Amon is probably our most important player right now. Who would of thought!
Whilat i agree getting decent kicks and speed into the middle is crucial to take the next step and Amon has ably filled that role (that I expected to be taken by Butters and Rozee) I'd need to see our midfield perform better as a unit before declaring it a success.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Yesterday Houston got a lot of handball receives running past the man on the mark, because that can't be defended. I'm looking forward to seeing he, Burton and even Bonner in that position between half back and half forward throughout the year. Presented on a platter it should hopefully give us better looks at goal this year, hopefully.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
IIRC Farrell kicked that goal against GWS like that which has done wonders for his career since

Liked the look of: Who impressed for your club in the AAMI Community Series?

View attachment 1073400

https://www.afl.com.au/news/556290/...d-for-your-club-in-the-aami-community-series-

Wow, he had a handful of touches and was gifted at least 2 goals. There's your future.

CrispEnchantingCapybara-size_restricted.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
I'm considering letting Sam Mayes go in a keeper league. Do you think he's any chance of getting games this year?
Cheers.

I'm considering letting Sam Mayes go in a keeper league. Do think he's any chance of getting games this year?
Cheers.

If he plays this year our season is in trouble.

I'm considering letting Sam Mayes go in a keeper league. Do you think he's any chance of getting games this year?
Cheers.

Let him go. At best he will play no more than a half dozen games and it would mean Port have had a lot of injuries. He's behind quite a few players down back (Burton, Houston, Hartlett, Bergman, Bonner and even Jones would be ahead of him).

anyone who thinks ROB is an upgrade on any of our 3 ruckmen is just watching how many times he's on the screen, not what he actually does in the game or with the ball.

Granted he takes a nice intercept mark every now and then when plugging a hole. The majority of the time it's either a turnover, ineffective possession or makes it someone else's problem with a stupid play.

anyone who thinks ROB is an upgrade on any of our 3 ruckmen is just watching how many times he's on the screen, not what he actually does in the game or with the ball.

Granted he takes a nice intercept mark every now and then when plugging a hole. The majority of the time it's either a turnover, ineffective possession or makes it someone else's problem with a stupid play.
Tap-wise he may be a slight upgrade, once he gets the ball he's pretty average. His kicking for goal makes John Butcher look reliable.

Agreed, I suspect if Lycett and O'Brien were up for trade, Lycett would have at least as many suitors as O'Brien, and quite possibly more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back