Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And not to follow up questions, how does he know Albo lies less when he hasn't been under the scrutiny. I have given him 2 specific examples on the first day of the campaign and he blatantly lied. He also went on about their answers at the debate, does he honestly believe the only corruption Albo is aware of the corruption he fessed up knowing about?
We've had how many years of Morrison's lies? He also made the point he is the PM that's lied the most. It's pretty clear his thoughts.

Albo will and has lied, no doubt.

I'm in the same camp as Kano, Morrison is a demonstrable liar who has lied his way through his term as PM. Hard to think anyone will be worse.

And not to follow up questions, how does he know Albo lies less when he hasn't been under the scrutiny. I have given him 2 specific examples on the first day of the campaign and he blatantly lied. He also went on about their answers at the debate, does he honestly believe the only corruption Albo is aware of the corruption he fessed up knowing about?
George, you need to think of this in terms of statistics.

If Albo runs away from press conferences and refuses to answer questions he has fewer opportunities to lie, so if he lies at the same rate as ScoMo he will tell fewer lies in absolute numbers....He hasn't told the truth more than ScoMo, but his cowardice means he has lied less.

Krudd, then daylight, for mine
I don't remember Krudd being noted for lying overly much (no more so than the average politician).

He was a technocrat, who insisted in micro-managing everything, and rushing from one idea to the next without finishing the first - resulting in him achieving very little (other than keeping Australia out of the GFC). He is comfortably the worst ALP PM of my lifetime. But lying? That was never one of his big criticisms.

Scomo, on the other hand, lies almost as compulsively as Donald Trump. The man can't even lie straight in bed. Even his own party has branded him untrustworthy & call him "The Liar from The Shire". Lying, and making empty promises, are the two defining characteristics of his Prime Ministership. Howard was called "The Lying Rodent" by members of his own party, but even he can't hold a candle to Scomo's compulsive lying. No other PM, from either side of the fence, has ever come close to matching Scomo's disconnection from the truth.

He was a technocrat, who insisted in micro-managing everything, and rushing from one idea to the next without finishing the first - resulting in him achieving very little (other than keeping Australia out of the GFC).
This is one of the great Labor myths, which they recite in the hope that anyone will believe it. China's absolutely massive pump-priming dragged our economy along and kept us out of the GFC. It was nothing to do with anything the government did.

Last edited:
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How $2.8 billion of your money is spent — it grossly favours Coalition seats​

Liberal electorates received three times more taxpayer money than Labor-held seats, as a detailed analysis of more than 19,000 grants reveals a highly politicised system rife with uneven spending. See the funding your electorate received.

The multibillion-dollar grants system used by MPs and federal ministers has become so politicised that Coalition-held seats around the country received more than $1.9 billion over three years while Labor electorates got just under $530 million.

A special analysis of more than 19,000 individual grants shows huge discrepancies among the nation’s 151 electorates, with a boundary line such as a road or a creek separating communities from potentially millions of dollars.

These grants do not include programs such as the Coalition’s controversial railway station car parks, which were funded in a different manner.

The Liberal Party reclaimed Wentworth at the 2019 election. The seat, the smallest and wealthiest in the country, has received $33.5 million in grants including $16,500 for the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby Union Club so patrons could watch live “international sports games and tournaments”. The Labor seat of Kingsford Smith, which abuts Wentworth, received just $4.1 million.

In Tasmania, so much money has been funnelled to the key seat of Braddon that it has received $1108 for every voter in the electorate. By contrast, Labor-held Franklin received $2.8 million, or $38 per voter.

Per Capita’s executive director Emma Dawson said the figures compiled by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age showed just how egregious the discretionary grants system had become.
She said not only was it poor governance, but the channelling of cash into a handful of electorates only made voters angry about the political system.
“This is more than blatant pork-barrelling. These are soft bribes. This is a corruption of our democracy,” she said.

The one Independent that has my unequivocal support.

Jeez. Don't have a tanty because someone has a different opinion to you.

No tanty, just pointing out that a statement like "Adam Bandt is the most dangerous politician in the country" is daft hyperbole. Do you actually think that he's more of a threat to Australian prosperity and wellbeing than any of the names I mentioned?

The issue is that the Greens have all these big ideas yet have no idea of the burden that implementing these plans will have on Australians. And you say that they wont see 100% of their demands met. I disagree. The ALP will (probably) have to rely on the Greens to get legislation passed....and you know what that means don't you? I rub your back, you rub mine.....

Only in so much as the current government also rely on quid pro quo with the right faction of the Coalition, One Nation and UAP. Do these groups ever see 100% of their demands met? No, but if their vote is required to get a more contested piece of legislation across the line, they do have the capacity to drag government policy in a particular direction.

Bandt came out yesterday and said the Greens would demand that the ADF be disbanded. Open the borders and let 'em all in hey? A reckless policy at best; a most dangerous policy at worst.

They also want all coal and oil industries shut down - but cant or wont provide answers as to what would happen to the tens of thousands of people directly and indirectly employed by these industries? What happens - do they all go on Centrelink? What happens to the billions of dollars that Australia will not generate due to these industries being shut down? How does it get replaced? By higher taxes?

The Carbon tax will be levied on the biggest emitters - and those costs will be passed onto - well you know who.....

Everyone to have an electric car by 2030........so the battlers on the bones of their arse driving a 1998 Commodore will now have to find (or borrow) money to satisfy the Greens policy? Driving a $70K Tesla wouldn't be an issue for Adam Bandt I wouldn't think?

Free Uni education - wiping of HECS debts...... Free healthcare for all. How and who is going to pay for it all? And don't for one minute believe the hype about multi-nationals paying more tax. It wont happen.......

Not sure what the point of oversimplifying/exaggerating their policies like this is - maybe need to check out the detail beyond the punchy headline?
  • "Free healthcare"? "ADF disbanded"? - Yeah look I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here? Are these actual policies? Link?
  • "Everyone to have an electric car by 2030........so the battlers on the bones of their arse driving a 1998 Commodore will now have to find (or borrow) money to satisfy the Greens policy?" - No. What they're actually proposing is removing tariffs etc to promote the purchase of electric vehicles over ICE, towards a target of all new cars sold in Australia being electric. For what it's worth I think the free market will push car manufacturers in this direction anyway, regardless of what governments do. Same with renewable energy. The only question is how fast we get there and what costs to society are incurred in the meantime.
  • "Free Uni education - wiping of HECS debts......" - Not sure this will end up getting popular support, but it has been costed. They're proposing it would be funded by withdrawing the more costly proposed stage 3 tax cuts targeting people earning >$200k per year, as an alternative strategy to address cost of living pressures. Up to voters I guess to decide which proposal is going to be fairer or better for overall economic productivity.
How and who is going to pay for it all? And don't for one minute believe the hype about multi-nationals paying more tax. It wont happen.......

The "How and who is going to pay for it all?" line of thinking I've always found an interesting concept, and inconsistently applied.

Firstly, some government investments will ultimately provide a net gain to the economy, and some do not. Many policies carry an enormous immediate $$$ cost but are still worthwhile and will leave Australians better off in the long run. Important to assess each policy on a case by case basis, and not throw a blanket over the lot as you're doing here.

Secondly, there's obviously a bigger debate to be had about how the bill should be split across generations to pay for a whole range of things from health care to climate change, to various generous government subsidies and tax concessions on franking credits, property investment, super, etc.

Take climate change for example, there is inevitably going to be a cost attached to our current "do as little as possible/kick the can down the road" strategy on things like health, water, energy, agriculture, increased extreme weather events, etc. That cost won't be borne by you or me, it will be borne by my kid's generation, and their kids. Is it fair that they should have to pay for it all while previous generations reap all the benefits? Important to consider both sides of the coin.

Last edited:
This is one of the great Labor myths, which they recite in the hope that anyone will believe it. China's absolutely massive pump-priming dragged our economy along and kept us out of the GFC. It was nothing to do with anything the government did.
That... And the billions of dollars Krudd's Govt poured into the economy, in the form of stimulus packages.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

“I thought I’d treat some of the millennials in our office to some real political discourse,” said the man who affectionately refers to the former PM as PJK.

“And I got the blood rush when he referred to John Howard as a little desiccated coconut”

“And then unfortunately mid-way through the line about debating John Hewson being equivalent to getting flogged with wet lettuce, I nutted.”

That... And the billions of dollars Krudd's Govt poured into the economy, in the form of stimulus packages.
Funding OAPs to buy TVs was great for Harvey Norman and the Chinese manufacturers, not so good for the economy. Paying installers to remove the insulation you paid them to install is stimulatory but horribly horribly wasteful. Would easily qualify for the worst stimulus ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back